968 Forum 1992-1995

How fast is your 968?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Rich, yeah, that was my thinking. Looks like I'll have to factor in the cost of a custom 6th gear into my project budget. I might have to cut back on some power mods to afford that... but it's OK. I must have speed.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:57 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Though I'd jump in--I've seen over 180 in my modified turbo. Exhaust, T3T4 hybrid, injectors, remapped at 14psi. you get the picture.The Rev limiter was increased to 7400rpms and I had no problems with the car for over 170K miles. Approaching the top end aerodynamics really start to come into play. Any large upset of the suspension and I felt like the car would of gone airborne. May have been able to get close to 190 but I will never get that car up that high again....

A actual snap shot with speed and RPMs. There is more left than in this photo.

Regards, Mike

Last edited by notthd; 09-23-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 968turbos2
Anyway, 500HP with a 968 tranny to me seems to me like that would be one hell of a car in any situation. Especially making more torque than HP. I was just wondering if we had any people who had their redline raised after some major mods etc.
I plan to do an NA modded 968 soon. The redline will be increased to 7200rpm. The valvetrain will be appropriately modified to handle this.
Raj
Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM
968turbos2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey notthd, that is the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks. Did you do any valve train mods to do this? I was thinking about where I should set the redline for speed given our tranny gearing.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:35 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I plan to do an NA modded 968 soon. The redline will be increased to 7200rpm. The valvetrain will be appropriately modified to handle this.
Raj
I think these engines would run great tuned at a narrow high RPM band, but my concern is oiling of the con-rod bearings at that high of an RPM. I've blown an engine in a 944 with a high RPM chip coming down the esses at Road Atlanta. Coming out of #4, which is a long, high G-load turn, and after making the next right hander that drops down, I was running at redline ready to shift and it let go. Infamous #2 failure. I attribute the failure to oil starvation from the high G-load turn exacerbated by the high RPMs it was running at the moment it let go.

I'd love to squeeze some more RPMs out of my car, but now I'm scared to run it that high.

Do you know when the OEM valves begin to float?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:48 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968turbos2
Hey notthd, that is the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks. Did you do any valve train mods to do this? I was thinking about where I should set the redline for speed given our tranny gearing.
Autothority mapped my chip and has done many modified 968s/ 951s. They picked the redline which I stayed under all but 3rd gear and topend which is where I felt I most effencently used the extra rpms.

Oil Starvation in high G situations at the higher RPMs is exactly what I read here. Could be trouble. I am not sure but I though my car had additional oil pan reserve with baffles to help with this. I remember it taking an extra quart after the mods were done. 7200 "safer" side 7400 asking for trouble if you go there often or track the through the Gs. Anytime you up the RPMS could be certain death... My motor had no high performance valve train mods and stock gearing 5 spd. We felt the pinion gear in the 6spd could not handle the extra horsepower. From memory... plus or minus- 1st to 40mph, 2nd to 95/100, 3rd to 130+, 4th I do not remember but top speed was in 5th.

Regards,Mike
Old 01-21-2008, 12:57 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by H2
But wouldn't it require humongous horsepower to get the 968 to rev 7900 rpm in the highest gear? That is, once you pass 160mph the remaining MPH really depend heavily on high horsepower and each MPH requires additional hard-to-come-by horses.

And as Raj suggests, suspension and brakes are equally important. Going fast is one thing. Staying on the ground another. As stopping fast is especially important.
At these speeds aero is the most important factor. In terms of attaining a high speed and making the vehicle stable at those speeds. Just taking the mirrors off could easily gain you 5mph as evidence by the top speed testing of the Carrera 3.2 body with flag mirrors vs racing style mirrors.

Racers driving 917s back in the day were afraid to drive certain early iterations of the car due to the horrible aero charateristics that gave the car a mind of it's own on the Mulsanne at 250mph. There were stories told of the cars jumping left/right by about 10ft as the cars made their way down the straight. Many considered them "undrivable" and some drivers refused to race the car.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:11 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by notthd
Oil Starvation in high G situations at the higher RPMs is exactly what I read here. Could be trouble. I am not sure but I though my car had additional oil pan reserve with baffles to help with this. I remember it taking an extra quart after the mods were done. 7200 "safer" side 7400 asking for trouble if you go there often or track the through the Gs. Anytime you up the RPMS could be certain death...
Regards,Mike
If I was going to try those RPMs I would go a full dry sump system straightaway. Not cheap up front, but cheap insurance relative to a blown high dollar motor.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:29 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris luckett
If I was going to try those RPMs I would go a full dry sump system straightaway. Not cheap up front, but cheap insurance relative to a blown high dollar motor.
Very True both in the sump and in Aero.. This car was street dress with a larger wing and a lip spoiler. Over 160 it felt like it was "lightening up" I kept thinking of that mercedes flipping into the woods in one of those Lemans races not too long ago- and it was designed to go that fast. I wanted to see if I could bounce it off 200mph once to say we did it but I felt it was not safe as I approached 180... talk about pucker factor. I started thinking of what safety gear I WASN'T wearing and backed off....
Old 01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I think these engines would run great tuned at a narrow high RPM band, but my concern is oiling of the con-rod bearings at that high of an RPM. I've blown an engine in a 944 with a high RPM chip coming down the esses at Road Atlanta. Coming out of #4, which is a long, high G-load turn, and after making the next right hander that drops down, I was running at redline ready to shift and it let go. Infamous #2 failure. I attribute the failure to oil starvation from the high G-load turn exacerbated by the high RPMs it was running at the moment it let go.

I'd love to squeeze some more RPMs out of my car, but now I'm scared to run it that high.

Do you know when the OEM valves begin to float?
Chris, this would be an engine for street use so the high G loads will not be seen. I don't expect to any oiling issues. Also, I doubt the redline would be hit as often on a street car as a track car.
Raj
Old 01-21-2008, 06:22 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

What about valve float? Any info on that one?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:24 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Chris, with the proper valve springs and cams, its not an issue.
Raj
Old 01-21-2008, 08:43 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

I meant, do you know at what RPM the stock valves begin to float? Or is it at such a high RPM to not be an issue?

Some of the racing rules allow you to change the rev limit, but not the internals of the head. If the stock valves begin to float at a low RPM, there is no reason for me to raise the rev limiter.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I meant, do you know at what RPM the stock valves begin to float? Or is it at such a high RPM to not be an issue?

Some of the racing rules allow you to change the rev limit, but not the internals of the head. If the stock valves begin to float at a low RPM, there is no reason for me to raise the rev limiter.
I will have to ask and get back to you on that. The package I was looking at involved HD springs so I never asked the question on stock springs.
Raj
Old 01-21-2008, 10:22 PM
edco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

H2 you should come on down and run an open road race, there a few new guys coming down from Washington state for the 08 season. Nothing like running the car all out! Keep in mind your running at an altitude from five to seven thousand feet.

It’s a blast no matter what speed class you run, we ran 150+ for almost 50 miles in the PE130. Seriously you should consider running one of the MKM events in “June or August” We are getting the car ready for the NORC in May

Matt

Quick Reply: How fast is your 968?