Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum-71/)
-   -   968 Clubsport (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum/1315371-968-clubsport.html)

96PorscheTwinTurbo 08-28-2022 11:27 AM

968 Clubsport

Returning after a long absence after selling my ‘96 TT. Wondering just how much of a needle-in-a-haystack a 968 Clubsport search is? Would want all original low-ish miles. Would also consider an ultra original low mile 968.

RapidGT 08-28-2022 11:30 AM

Lucky for you there is one for sale in Philadelphia if you don’t already know about it. The only one for sale in the US that I know of. But I’ve been looking for a few months for a friend of mine and this is the first one I’ve seen come up for sale in the US since I started looking. Not much better luck across the pond in Europe.

https://main-line.porschedealer.com/...bfd0190eb9.htm

96PorscheTwinTurbo 08-28-2022 11:41 AM

Thanks I did see that one. Have contemplated contacting. Is it odd that carfax has only one recent entry? Also appears to be an import…which I’m sure quite a few are. Would want a lot more documentation of history before I’d consider at that price. I’ll see what they say.

RapidGT 08-28-2022 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo (Post 18329517)
Thanks I did see that one. Have contemplated contacting. Is it odd that carfax has only one recent entry? Also appears to be an import…which I’m sure quite a few are. Would want a lot more documentation of history before I’d consider at that price. I’ll see what they say.

No 968 Club Sports were sold in the US. They were only eligible for importation once these cars were 25 years old. Also Carfax does not keep track of cars outside the US and Canada. So they only started keeping track of these ROW cars once they arrived here in this cars case was 2019. The Carfax for this 968 pretty much tells nothing.

96PorscheTwinTurbo 08-28-2022 01:45 PM

Thanks, I wondered about that and it does make sense.

Would be helpful to know more about what to look for/watch out for while in a hunt for the 968 or 968CS

uscarrera 08-29-2022 07:10 AM

Raced and sold mine years ago
Rich

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...a845b59f5.jpeg

LM964 08-29-2022 07:28 AM

For that sort of money being asked for in the US would it not be easier to import (few available in the UK and even the limited run Sport version too)?

J1NX3D 08-30-2022 06:14 PM

But all Sports were RHD whereas you can get CS in Europe in LHD. I would not go to the effort and expense to buy and import a RHD car into a LHD country, I think it would be a novelty that wears off pretty fast. I've driven plenty of LHD cars and it's fine in LHD countries and being from NZ which is a RHD country, it's a PITA driving a LHD in a RHD country unless it's to race and to suit track orientation. I've also been passenger in LHD cars with people who can't drive them well on RHD roads, e.g. poor road position, crossing the center line in corners, difficulty seeing at intersections, difficulty seeing oncoming traffic when overtaking. I imagine it would be a similar experience for a RHD in a LHD country.

I'd definitely look at LHD CS from Europe or other markets like Japan.

Yogii 08-30-2022 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by J1NX3D (Post 18334035)
But all Sports were RHD whereas you can get CS in Europe in LHD. I would not go to the effort and expense to buy and import a RHD car into a LHD country, I think it would be a novelty that wears off pretty fast. I've driven plenty of LHD cars and it's fine in LHD countries and being from NZ which is a RHD country, it's a PITA driving a LHD in a RHD country unless it's to race and to suit track orientation. I've also been passenger in LHD cars with people who can't drive them well on RHD roads, e.g. poor road position, crossing the center line in corners, difficulty seeing at intersections, difficulty seeing oncoming traffic when overtaking. I imagine it would be a similar experience for a RHD in a LHD country.

+1

Or just get a regular 968 and add the suspension bits and take out all the comforts.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice

LM964 08-31-2022 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by J1NX3D (Post 18334035)

Should have added that there are LHD CS's in the UK that occasionally come up for sale - just an fyi

peterhor 08-31-2022 05:27 PM

there is another here https://www.motorcarclassics.com/199...8-cs-c-849.htm
Also watch bring a trailer - a couple of 968CS's have sold in the past 24mths.
Love mine!

jeff968 09-06-2022 02:49 PM

And make sure you research what kind of CS you want. First off, understand that the CS is a "stripper" 968 and was much cheaper then a regular coupe. Now if you were racing that is a good thing but then things got a little crazy and the CS suffered an identity crisis. Many dealers started to add options back on to the CS which defeated the purpose of what the car was all about. Today it seems the closer they are to their original intention of not having options the more they are worth. So look for one with no sunroof, no power windows, no stereo, no AC, and look to find 220 limited slip, M030 suspension, and hardback racing seat options which were NOT standard. Add in a wild color and you've got the ultimate CS.

That said, the CS experience is too brutal for me. I would prefer a nice 1of 99 North American 968 coupe with the M030 sport suspension option. Heavier I understand but more user friendly. The standard cloth seats on a CS are not very nice IMHO.

Finally, note that the big "Club Sport" decal on the side of the car was NOT done at the factory. These were dreamed up by Porsche UK and added to the cars there. None of them ever got the decal from the factory.

Good luck.

96PorscheTwinTurbo 09-11-2022 11:52 PM

Damn….gorgeous!!

96PorscheTwinTurbo 09-11-2022 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by LM964 (Post 18330826)
For that sort of money being asked for in the US would it not be easier to import (few available in the UK and even the limited run Sport version too)?

Possibly but I assume there are many (most) in the UK that are right hand drive and importation also seems like a bit of a burden. I won’t rule it out though. Thanks. Anyone outside the states have one to sell?

96PorscheTwinTurbo 09-12-2022 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by jeff968 (Post 18345912)
And make sure you research what kind of CS you want. First off, understand that the CS is a "stripper" 968 and was much cheaper then a regular coupe. Now if you were racing that is a good thing but then things got a little crazy and the CS suffered an identity crisis. Many dealers started to add options back on to the CS which defeated the purpose of what the car was all about. Today it seems the closer they are to their original intention of not having options the more they are worth. So look for one with no sunroof, no power windows, no stereo, no AC, and look to find 220 limited slip, M030 suspension, and hardback racing seat options which were NOT standard. Add in a wild color and you've got the ultimate CS.

That said, the CS experience is too brutal for me. I would prefer a nice 1of 99 North American 968 coupe with the M030 sport suspension option. Heavier I understand but more user friendly. The standard cloth seats on a CS are not very nice IMHO.

Finally, note that the big "Club Sport" decal on the side of the car was NOT done at the factory. These were dreamed up by Porsche UK and added to the cars there. None of them ever got the decal from the factory.

Good luck.

Interesting comments. I did hear something about the decal being a UK thing although I also thought I heard you could order the CS with or without the decal and have done at the dealer?

i thought the sport seats were standard but that you could order the regular 968 seats at no cost if you didn’t want the sport seats. Yeah I have heard they are not as comfortable but….damn….they just look so sweet! I think I’ll go for looks over comfort on this one.

Yeah, I would not want a sunroof car but would take A/C . Would prefer crank windows but for the right car might accept power.

And, to some extent these days, beggars can’t be choosers. If I can find a solid original car, I’d accept some options that were not on the bare bones CS.

Thanks for your input