Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Clutch work more like a mustang??¿??

Old 06-22-2019, 11:40 PM
Black968porboy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch work more like a mustang??¿??

My 92 968 the clutch pedal goes almost to the floor before it disingages the clutch to shift..it like my friends mustang.. is that ok, the clutch was done 20k ago. Should I leave it or is there a adjustment I can done.. it a heavy clutch. And as I can remember it a OEM clutch. Thanks for any advice
Old 06-23-2019, 12:04 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

First make sure your fluid it topped up. Then make sure that there are no leaks in the system. How many miles since last clutch change? 20K is not very many miles, 60-90K miles is more standard.
968 has a difficult clutch, it is the only non-bright spot on an other wise great car.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 06-23-2019, 12:21 AM
Black968porboy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I'll double-check everything. So it's ok to have the pedal go that far down before it disingages.. it is a hard clutch to get use to. My 944 was totally different feel..
Old 06-23-2019, 12:34 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to bleed it. It's a very easy job if you have a Motive power bleeder, but the slave cylinder bleed screw requires an unusual sized wrench - a tiny 7 mm.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:26 AM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

A correct functioning 968 clutch should not be neither heavy or hard to modulate..! My clutch only needs a light pressure and has a very smooth action and easy to modulate biting point right in the middle of its travel. It really is a joy to use and much better then most cars I have driven. Make sure its the correct clutch and pressure plate for a 968 and not for a 964, which is often used instead but is much heavier. Then bleed and top off the fluid and ensure the clutch slave cylinder is in good order..
Old 06-23-2019, 11:17 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

interesting...note...heavier pressure plates may induce fatigue and cracking of the firewall. the plates are color coded. check the firewall and see if you can see the paint code.

if either cylinder is leaking internally you might start the car in neutral and push and hold the clutch pedal down for 15 seconds. then try to engage reverse. if the system is leaking down, it will be difficult to engage a non-synchronized gear set. another way to go about it is to place a shortened broom stick on the depressed pedal to the seat overnight with measurements of the fork with respect to the inspection hole. ( the advantages of electric seats.. lol)

where the pivot bushings on the fork renewed at the last clutch job or at least, inspected and lubricated?

has someone tried to adjust the helper spring at the pedal assembly? its fiddly but there is a spec on the spring.

there are some little plastic inserts at the clevis that can also wear. they are similar to the shifter inserts
Old 06-23-2019, 08:09 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts

Yes....I would check the firewall flexing. This is common on 944's (and I assume 968's). My 968 had 150K miles and had a heavy clutch. My 951 is light.

I bought a firewall brace but never installed it, so I can't tell you if it would of fixed it. Here is the thread on it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...forcement.html
Old 06-25-2019, 12:05 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Do a search on 968 pressure plates. Many owners put the 964 pressure plate in as a substitute. It is very heavy to push and has caused many cracked firewalls. Sometimes it seems difficult to find the correct plate and many sellers think the 964 works fine. I found a new old stock 968 plate with the green stripe and it is very easy to push.. When doing the clutch be sure to install new fork bearings.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:31 AM
Isaacsracing
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Have someone push the clutch while you look at through the access hole in the bell housing through which you can see the plunger of the slave cylinder. Have them count on the way down the pedal. If the plunger motion doesn't match the stroke of the pedal, then I would deduce that you need to bleed the system, or you have a bad master or slave, or the firewall is flexing. Instead of having my kid do this, I set the phone to record a video when I checked mine. (link below) The clutch in my race car is heavy, but in my street/stock 968, the clutch is lighter. Engagement/disengagement on both are about in the middle - even toward the high side, but certainly not near the floor.

Link to video of slave cylinder. https://photos.app.goo.gl/1511g7uNGJkvSbQz8

Here's a good pic of the access hole to look for. My starter is out in this shot, but I think you have the same view with the starter in.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:46 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Read this article on pressure plates in one of Paul's post.

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/con...ogy-automotive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch work more like a mustang??¿??