Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

For the life of me, I can't get the door handle off...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 03:37 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

[QUOTE=WolfeMacleod;15853708 They swelled, and became too thick.[/QUOTE]

Be careful Wolfe...with descriptions like this you could be responsible for 968 owners everywhere causing a run on this aerospace stuff!

Also your excellent video has just been banned for PED's.... The standards committee will be reviewing your next video very carefully for any antics and use of any PED's while performing the procedure. Im officially back on the fence with this tactic being an internet legend.

Last edited by jsheiry; 05-20-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:12 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Be careful Wolfe...with descriptions like this you could be responsible for 968 owners everywhere causing a run on this aerospace stuff!

Also your excellent video has just been banned for PED's.... The standards committee will be reviewing your next video very carefully for any antics and use of any PED's while performing the procedure. Im officially back on the fence with this tactic being an internet legend.
I can't stop laughing
Old 05-20-2019, 10:42 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry

Heh. I use 303 religiously. I sure wasn't expecting the swelling result, though.
I redid the swelled seal today Took about 5 minutes. I did give it a good spray of 303 beforehand.

I'm not sure what you mean by "PEDs"

Old 05-21-2019, 01:16 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

"I'm not sure what you mean by "PEDs"" , I think he means your enhanced ThumbPower!

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 05-21-2019, 02:27 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yogii
"I'm not sure what you mean by "PEDs"" , I think he means your enhanced ThumbPower!

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
It wasn't all that difficult, really. My thumbs aren't particularly strong.
I'll bet a popsicle stick used as a lever, throught the seal, and braced against the metal top of the microswitch would work great. Push the free end of the stick towards the window, stretch the seal just enough to make slipping over the mechanism easy.

Seriously, using this method was stupid easy. So easy in fact, that I'd be willing to do it for local Seattle cars.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:56 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Wolfe PED (performance enhancing drug) acronym from sports world. Type PED into the Google machine. Aerospace stuff IE metaphor from sports world.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:00 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
I removedit about an hour ago. Still not much clearer. As best I can tell, the ball join I need to unclip is done, and has been done for a while, apparently.
However, the handle still will not lift away from the hole in the door.
I have removed the tiny screw on the back of the microswitch, but can't figure out how to remove it from the handle itself.
I finally figured out that the easiest way (hmm, not sure that is a good description) is to remove the window regulator, window and then there is access to the top screw for the rear lower window track. With all that out, there is all kinds of access. Easier to do that than to futz around trying to get the linkage on with no access.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:06 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Bent screwdriver works well.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:44 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
Bent screwdriver works well.
Tried that too. So did a neighbor.

Seriously. The method I filmed was stupidly easy.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:33 PM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another victim here, trying to get the door handle off to replace a broken door handle trigger part number 944.537.672.00.
Late 94 couple with electric locks and M490 HiFi sound (which adds 83742 fasteners and makes every instruction out there on removing door panels incomplete).
I do not see what or where to disconnect to get the handle completely free nor does mine seem to look like all the other diagrams I can find.
I can't see nuthin' through the door panel nor looking in the removed air vent on the edge of the door. Clark's garage et al make it sound like this is a piece of
cake so I either have Frankencar or am just not getting it. Any suggestions appreciated.
thanks
Jon

Old 12-30-2023, 09:30 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JonT
Another victim here, trying to get the door handle off to replace a broken door handle trigger part number 944.537.672.00.
Late 94 couple with electric locks and M490 HiFi sound (which adds 83742 fasteners and makes every instruction out there on removing door panels incomplete).
I do not see what or where to disconnect to get the handle completely free nor does mine seem to look like all the other diagrams I can find.
I can't see nuthin' through the door panel nor looking in the removed air vent on the edge of the door. Clark's garage et al make it sound like this is a piece of
cake so I either have Frankencar or am just not getting it. Any suggestions appreciated.
thanks
Jon

yes, your last picture does indeed show the anti-theft plate.
Old 12-31-2023, 04:14 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Just off the top of my head, the plastic attachment square piece swings up and attaches to the ball.

Quick Reply: For the life of me, I can't get the door handle off...