Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

For the life of me, I can't get the door handle off...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Congrats!!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:09 AM
rogerstopford
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this thread, I had to replace a broken lever mechanism in the handle and removed that linkage. It was a nightmare, just like as described here, and in the end I gave up and paid the local Porsche dealer to re-assemble it. Which btw didn't take him long at all. I will keep a link to this thread for the inevitable next time.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:22 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Congrats!!
Originally Posted by rogerstopford
Thank you for this thread, I had to replace a broken lever mechanism in the handle and removed that linkage. It was a nightmare, just like as described here, and in the end I gave up and paid the local Porsche dealer to re-assemble it. Which btw didn't take him long at all. I will keep a link to this thread for the inevitable next time.
It truly was insane. Overall, the amount of time I spent just to reconnect the rod was over 24 hours.
In the end, it was the unlikely tool that succeeded. Worst mobility, worst angle, worst leverage.
Right at the very end, it worked.
Hint: when placting the door handle back through the hole, loop a length of wire through the rod, and feed the wire through the hole and out the air vent. Pull the wire as you insert the handle. Otherwise the rod doesn't want to drop downwards, it wants to deflect upwards.
Hint: Loop that same piece of wire around the lever on the locking mechanism, and pull the arm down. Tape the door handle lever depressed to drop the rod further. You can then pull the wire to position the arm to align it with the rod connector.

Hint: place a block behind the locking bar to keep it from moving. You can see it in the video.

Hint: don't to this in 80 degree weather.

I used this endocope to see what I was doing.
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-15-2019, 07:53 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Joy of joys! I get the do the other side now.

Aaannnd the door handle won't pull out of the holes. Won' slide forward far enough to unhook itself from the door.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:35 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I must admit that I had removed and re-installed a few door handles on two different cabs in the past and although it was tricky I thought all the suffering reported on forums was excessive UNTIL I attempted to replace the ones on my wifes coupe and the reality set in that the interior of the coupe door has an extra bar/slightly different configuration and you could not even see the linkage after removing all the sheet metal pieces around/near the electric lock plunger whereas on the cab you have a slightly better visual and can actually get your eyes and fingers on it from inside the door panel area. I confirmed looking through the PET after spending an extraordinary amount of time on the coupe and thought to myself how annoying this seemed and was expecting the same job that I had completed in the past on the cab with minor irritation.

Additionally after hearing legends of slipping gasket over handle I'm offering challenge to anyone adept at this procedure to video this "magic" as I tried this and after the realization that I was trying to deliver a 25 lb baby I gave the poor old girl a C section and cut the bottom in between the two "dimples" and have lived happily ever after.....

Door handle broke on my cab a few weeks ago and I get to do this again real soon.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:54 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by jsheiry

Additionally after hearing legends of slipping gasket over handle I'm offering challenge to anyone adept at this procedure to video this "magic" as I tried this and after the realization that I was trying to deliver a 25 lb baby I gave the poor old girl a C section and cut the bottom in between the two "dimples" and have lived happily ever after.....

Door handle broke on my cab a few weeks ago and I get to do this again real soon.
If I can get the passenger door handle out, I'll be trying this method. There was a write-up in a 2005 issue of Excellence...

Because the images are so dark, I asked for a lighter version on the "force it" frame...

Old 05-16-2019, 04:38 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

They left out the slide where he cuts the rear seal so it will clear the mechanism. I have tried this and haven't had an success with the "force" approach.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:26 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I must admit that I had removed and re-installed a few door handles on two different cabs in the past and although it was tricky I thought all the suffering reported on forums was excessive UNTIL I attempted to replace the ones on my wifes coupe and the reality set in that the interior of the coupe door has an extra bar/slightly different configuration and you could not even see the linkage after removing all the sheet metal pieces around/near the electric lock plunger whereas on the cab you have a slightly better visual and can actually get your eyes and fingers on it from inside the door panel area. I confirmed looking through the PET after spending an extraordinary amount of time on the coupe and thought to myself how annoying this seemed and was expecting the same job that I had completed in the past on the cab with minor irritation.

Sorry to hear about the door handle.

However, your c-section reference, was classic!
Old 05-17-2019, 11:35 AM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I had to replace some of the handle mechanism on my previous cab a few years back. I distinctly remember the usage of many expletives and needing to walk away for a day or two before I was actually able to finish it. Wasn't fun.

I've also replaced the window regulator on a 944 and a 944S2 many moons ago. That was no picnic either!

Last edited by Jim C; 05-17-2019 at 11:36 AM. Reason: forgot words!
Old 05-17-2019, 02:56 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeff968
They left out the slide where he cuts the rear seal so it will clear the mechanism. I have tried this and haven't had an success with the "force" approach.
IT WORKED!

VIDEO COMING SOON!
Old 05-17-2019, 03:53 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Old 05-17-2019, 09:19 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Wolfe NICE vide!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:39 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Wolfe NICE vide!
The key is to slip the thinnest edge over the locking mechanism. It will not work, otherwise... I tried various different way of "tetrising" that thing on.

Now I can't get the holes for the retaining bolt to line up. I think I swelled the gasket and made it too thick by soaking it in Aersospace303 for too long.

But they, at least the gasket part was a piece of cake once figured out.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:41 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 134 Posts

Great work! You inspired me to get started on installing the same on my 968, since PO had installed door handles without ANY gaskets... Anyway, I have hit the same issues you did - specifically, getting the white piece connected up first. Fought that for a couple of hours today, then it started raining on my so I quit for the day. Any advice on that part? This is way worse than when I installed 968 handles on my 87 944NA.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:23 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by DSMblue
Great work! You inspired me to get started on installing the same on my 968, since PO had installed door handles without ANY gaskets... Anyway, I have hit the same issues you did - specifically, getting the white piece connected up first. Fought that for a couple of hours today, then it started raining on my so I quit for the day. Any advice on that part? This is way worse than when I installed 968 handles on my 87 944NA.
Loop a piece of stiff wire through the larger lock rod and drop it down through the vent hole. This way, when you go to corkscrew the handle back in place, the rod won't try to "lift" and angle upwards towards the window... pull the wire as start sliding everything in.
For the smaller white connector, make sure the locking mechanism is unbolted from the door. Reach in, and push it upwards a ways so the ball soket is as close to the hole as you can get it. It will help to disconnect the plastic rod that comes from the power lock. Use hemostats for the smaller connector. The small size will help.
It's a PITA. Might be easier just to drive it here to Seattle..

Someone, somewhere, mentioned putting a brace behind the ball where the larger rod connects, to keep the lock's arm from bending when you try to reconnect the linkage.
DO THIS. What I used was about 1/2 inch thick, 2.5 inches long. You can see it in one of the videos.

Get a borescope. The one I gave the link to earlier. Not too expensive, and good, hi-def.

I actually have to re-do this procedure. I made a terrible mistake that makes it so to handle's retainer bolt holes won't line up. I thought I was being smart... attempting to lenghten the life of the seals, I soaked them in Aerospace303. They swelled, and became too thick. The driver's side soaked for 24 hours. It swelled a little. The passenger side, for a few days. It swelled a lot, and there's no way to line of the retainer bolt holes.
The new seals arrived today. I'll be sure to take more detailed pics of the installation.

Quick Reply: For the life of me, I can't get the door handle off...