968 Virgin no more

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:42 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts
Default 968 Virgin no more

Well not technically...

I took delivery of my 83Kmile 1994 coupe yesterday. Drove it today! It's a bad MF.
Some surprises-From a stop light, twice I started in reverse and almost ran into the car behind me! Stalled the engine a bunch of times too.
Was optioned with LSD, No 030, but has 30mm front sway bar and 3 link adjustable in the rear. Seems the handbrake has 2 distinct levels.
Mechanic telsl me that I "front struts have freeplay." Not totally sure I know what that means? I am assuming that the car still has OEM front struts. Maybe not. I like the current ride hight. If anything perhaps to low.
I want a car that handles poor roads comfortably but is still very spirited. I imagine only a few DE days.

Jeff--Strange but true: The door sticker bar code reads the VIN as having the letters AB. Just above it in letters it reads AA, as do all the other VIN #.
I guess you could say that I failed Emissions Testing because of bar code error! If you want me to take photos of any stickers, please let me know where and what.

Any suggestions for a front license plate holder. Required here in Cali. Do not want to drill the bumper!
Is the round thing in the middle of the front grill the tow hook hole? If so, what size is it. I have seen at least 2 different sizes mentioned, all SAE by the way...

Took me a monument to figure out the front hood latch...

Needless to say, I'm a VERY happy dude right now.

-Yogii
AKA 968 novice

Last edited by Yogii; 02-20-2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: fix
Old 02-20-2019, 01:25 AM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogii
Well not technically...

I took delivery of my 83Kmile 1994 coupe yesterday. Drove it today! It's a bad MF.
Some surprises-From a stop light, twice I started in reverse and almost ran into the car behind me! Stalled the engine a bunch of times too.
Was optioned with LSD, No 030, but has 30mm front sway bar and 3 link adjustable in the rear. Seems the handbrake has 2 distinct levels.
Mechanic telsl me that I "front struts have freeplay." Not totally sure I know what that means? I am assuming that the car still has OEM front struts. Maybe not. I like the current ride hight. If anything perhaps to low.
I want a car that handles poor roads comfortably but is still very spirited. I imagine only a few DE days.

Jay-Strange but true: The door sticker bar code reads the VIN as having the letters AB. Just above it in letters it reads AA, as do all the other VIN #.
I guess you could say that I failed Emissions Testing because of bar code error! If you want me to take photos of any stickers, please let me know where and what.

Any suggestions for a front license plate holder. Required here in Cali. Do not want to drill the bumper!
Is the round thing in the middle of the front grill the tow hook hole? If so, what size is it. I have seen at least 2 different sizes mentioned, all SAE by the way...

Took me a monument to figure out the front hood latch...

Needless to say, I'm a VERY happy dude right now.

-Yogii
AKA 968 novice
Where's the pics maaate
Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Need to get it washed first...

-Y
Old 02-20-2019, 09:08 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Yogii, congrats, offer stands if you ever need help from a fellow 968er. I've turned literally every bolt on this car. PM me.

For the front plate, I welded a bracket to a bolt that screws into the front tow-loop hole. TBH I just leave it off until I get a citation...
Old 02-20-2019, 09:16 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats! Yep, you uncap the thing in the center of the upper grill and screw in the tow hook. My car has the front bumper drilled for a front bumper I think from manufacturer, it was never in a front license state and I bought it only one year used.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:29 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Congrats Yogii,
For a license plate option check out US Millworks http://www.usmillworks.com/porsche_f..._tow_hook.html.
They and a company called Moweraxle (sp?). Have plate mount option using the towhook for a mounting point. I have one for my 968 and one for my Cayman.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokayman
Congrats Yogii,
For a license plate option check out US Millworks http://www.usmillworks.com/porsche_f..._tow_hook.html.
They and a company called Moweraxle (sp?). Have plate mount option using the towhook for a mounting point. I have one for my 968 and one for my Cayman.
US Millworks does not have one that says it will fit a 968. I have sent numerous e-mails and tried calling them. They have give ABSOLUTELY no response. I have seen the one from Moweraxle. They seem to have little adjustment. Does anybody have any experience with the ones from Rennline?

Thanks,
Yogii
968 Novice
Old 02-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oz968
Where's the pics maaate
I edited the original post and added them.

-Y
Old 02-21-2019, 01:01 AM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I edited the original post and added them.

-Y
FUN times ahead eh !!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:48 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

US Millworks does not have one that says it will fit a 968. I have sent numerous e-mails and tried calling them. They have give ABSOLUTELY no response. I have seen the one from Moweraxle. They seem to have little adjustment. Does anybody have any experience with the ones from Rennline?

Thanks,
Yogii
968 Novice
The unit I purchased from US Millworks in April, ‘18 was this

“Plate Kit. Item# 10 Kit: Standard + Quick Release, Car: Porsche Other 944 Turbo - P1S bolt”

Their website doesn’t list the 968, but it does list 944 Turbo which has a very similar center located tow hook location, so that’s the unit I ordered. I also went with their quick release option which allows the plate to be removed quickly without unscrewing the tow hook mount piece.

IIRC, I too had trouble contacting them, but I had done business with them before and went ahead and ordered the unit I thought would work, online.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:47 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Congrats Yogii, looks very nice! Before you pickup that bumperette at Sonnen see if you can apply the money to the Euro turn signals which eliminate the bumperette. I think they look great. 944-631-051-00 944-631-052-00

Do a search on the forum and you can find some pictures but effectively the Euro turn signal continues all the way to the fog light to eliminate the bumperette.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Yogii,

I am fairly certain our plate mount will work on the 968 if you are interested. I would certainly take a return if it did not!

http://www.rennline.com/Tow-Hook-Rec...fo/E1070.1080/

Old 02-23-2019, 01:09 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

The proper mounting place for the front license plate is anywhere in the trunk!
Old 02-23-2019, 01:17 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

That is my story and I am sticking to it...."

I could not agree more!
Probably will wait till I get my first ticket. Just want to have option when I do. Occasionally my car will be parked on the street. Wondering if the tow hook holder support(I'm sure there is a part number some where) can take much force in the opposite direction in which it was designed for? Pulling vs Pushing.

Plus it does not seem like there are any good options. I think the plate would look better and not restrict the radiator opening, if it was offset to the side.

Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 02-23-2019, 03:06 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Beautiful car, 968's in my opinion are one of the best Porsche's ever made, loved having one for a little while

Quick Reply: 968 Virgin no more