968 Forum 1992-1995

Putting a Race car back together

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:39 PM
Isaacsracing
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Putting a Race car back together

Maybe you read my thread on making a new Torque Tube. That's completed and installed. As the rest of the car slowly gets in shape for the track this year, I was posting to the thread "What did you do with your 968 today" but I've decided to record my progress here with pictures. I hope you all enjoy my sharing and please post tips and comments along the way.
Here's the car pictured with the prior owner, Joel Carter of Savannah. I bought the car in Sept 2017.

After disassembly of everything from the back of the engine rearward, a new SPEC lightweight flywheel, clutch and TT are back in. This was a good two-person job.

Sachs pressure plate, Spec Stage 4 6 puck clutch, SPEC alum flywheel, new torque tube with Super bearings etc.

Torque Tube made by me and an expert welder, then sent to Black Sea R&D

Transmission is going in next. Had a hand here too. The transmission was sent to Bill Rader in LV and fully torn down. New synchros and bearings and a Guard GT LSD. R&P is 3.77.

I filled the Trans mount with 3M Window Weld Urethane - a Rennlister recommendation.

so clean!

mated up perfectly to the mount and the TT!

Next is bringing the rear suspension up to snuff. Disassembly, cleaning, and some paint prior to installing Elephant Racing Poly bronze bushings.

Before Picture - Just removed from the car.

Spring plates painted with inner bushings installed.

Outer housing with Polybronze ready to go into the press.

Elephant Racing bushings are sandwiched in place. Notice the addition washers required to allow room for the bushings and the grease nipple.

After Picture -Ready to go back in the car and painted too.

This is an expensive project, but I can't image the bill if a shop were doing it. As a school teacher, I'm accepting donations!!
Old 01-23-2019, 08:05 AM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at this car and it was advertised as a race ready car. The extent of your rebuild makes me wonder if that was true. At the time he was only selling the car along with parts and a trailer and refused to uncouple these items.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:23 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Looking good!
Old 01-23-2019, 07:41 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-DRUCKLAG...AAAOSweXFb8dC0
Old 01-23-2019, 11:39 PM
Isaacsracing
Racer

Hi Tom. So what is that? Rear axle bearing - I'm trying to figure out where that goes. Is that the block on the body that the flat upper arm that sticks up and to the rear of the torsion bar bolts to? Or something else?
I followed the link, but would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2019, 11:47 PM
Isaacsracing
Racer

Originally Posted by rap
I looked at this car and it was advertised as a race ready car. The extent of your rebuild makes me wonder if that was true. At the time he was only selling the car along with parts and a trailer and refused to uncouple these items.
I can understand why you might think that, but Joel's 968 was very much a race ready car. The transmission that was in it had a quailfe lsd and I wasn't loving that under heavy braking, but the tranny was good. Therefore I sent the backup transmission for the rebuild. The rear spring plate bearings were not factory, but had Delrin, which were fine, but Chuck's polybronze are better. The suspension has lots of other goodies and upgrades, the cage is excellent and the motor is a Michael Mount and John Behe build and tune. It's a track car for sure.
Yes, I bought the whole package - trailer and all. A spare motor that needs to be built, a spare transmission, wheels, and lots of other parts too.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:48 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

that is the rear/upper carrier housing to body mount. (there are prettier ones out there)

if you look at the end of the 'silentbloc' banana arm to body mount, there are some holes you can fill like you did with the transmission mount.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:00 AM
Isaacsracing
Racer

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
that is the rear/upper carrier housing to body mount. (there are prettier ones out there)

if you look at the end of the 'silentbloc' banana arm to body mount, there are some holes you can fill like you did with the transmission mount.
Here's a photo that I took during disassembly. Is the upper carrier housing the red item to the left of my hand which Joel already installed a pretty one?

And the 'silentbloc' must be the black hard rubber block with 3 big air spaces that the bolt just came out of - correct? Filling the 'silent block' seems like a good idea, but would it ever be removable again. Did you do that in your car? Di you fill it after the banana arm was in place or did you fill it with something else in place that you ten removed? I'm trying to think how to best do that - but I like the idea.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:51 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Yes, the upper carrier mount is the red mount unit so yours has been replaced with a solid unit.

the banana arm mount, to the right of your hand in the picture, is mounted to the chassis from the inboard side. If you remove it, you will see the voids in the rubber intermediate section. This is what I filled for the sake of using the rest of the tube of 3M goop
Old 01-24-2019, 12:20 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

@ Isaacsracing , by your thread title, I guess it's a given that you have plans to race this car..?

I don't remember seeing this car around PCA events and since it's from Georgia, chances are that I would have.

Did previous owner race some other sanctioned racing, SCCA (I see a sticker on front), Vintage, etc...?

Was just curious how competitive it was before the refresh.

T
Old 01-24-2019, 08:13 PM
Isaacsracing
Racer

951and944S - Thanks for asking about. Joel Carter Raced the car in SCCA. I think ITR class, if that's a class? I haven't really looked at the log carefully. From what he told me he was consistent 2nd place behind his buddy who had a factory firehawk 1991 S2. Then Joel had the engine done and then only did 2 races after that and put the car away. That was 2014 or 2015. I don't have the real low down on what happened other than he bought a boat and wanted out. PM if you have any real stories on this. I'm happy to discuss.

Thomasmryan - I was looking at the banana arm mount earlier today and totally understand what you mean. I'm absolutely on that!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:38 PM
rap
Racer

I was unable to get him to just sell me the car. I didn’t need a trailer and had a lot of parts including engine and tranny. Congrats it is a good looking car.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:32 PM
Isaacsracing
Racer

I filled those mounts! Now that they are off the car, I'll have to refinish them, but not tonight.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:23 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

nice. those are in decent shape. i would get some ospho in the seam of the upper steel mounting plates. according to Neil, rust never sleeps. no idea what the rust converter does to rubber but it will set your fingers on fire.

kinda need to load the suspension before torqueing the through bolt in the aluminum casting.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:03 AM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the purchase! Overhaul looking great. Never had the chance of having #75 and your car on track with Joel to spar. Would have been fun. I see you are in the Northeast. Will you be racing that beauty?

Quick Reply: Putting a Race car back together