Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

DME relay question

Old 12-20-2018, 05:37 PM
Dave O
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DME relay question

Short background- when I would bring my '99 Miata out of winter hibernation I would remove the fuel injection relay and turn the starter over for 7-10 seconds to get the oil circulated in the engine at the low RPM of the starter motor. With the fuel injection relay removed there was no chance of starting the engine and having it spin up fast without sufficient lubrication. Then I'd put the relay back in place and start the engine normally.
I bought a 968 last year and have it in storage now. I was wondering if the DME relay does the same sort of thing as the Miata's fuel injection relay. Is the DME relay the thing to remove so I can turn over the engine for a few seconds at low speed on the starter motor only to circulate the oil.
Thanks for any info guys.
Dave
Old 12-20-2018, 05:50 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

yep. if I have let mine sit for over 45 days or so, I pull the valve cover and dribble oil on the cam pads, chain and lifter/lobes.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:28 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave O
Is the DME relay the thing to remove so I can turn over the engine for a few seconds at low speed on the starter motor only to circulate the oil.

Yes. I do this if the car has sat idle for a couple of weeks or more. Can't control the speed the engine turns over, just get the oil press needle moving up the gauge for 3-4 secs (I do this twice) then all good.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Dave O
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for confirming this for me guys. Now only 4-5 months to wait!!!!! The NE is great except for having to tuck sports cars away for the winters.
Dave
Old 12-22-2018, 10:42 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
yep. if I have let mine sit for over 45 days or so, I pull the valve cover and dribble oil on the cam pads, chain and lifter/lobes.
And I thought that I was a fanatic... Wow T - I typically go overboard but you have got me beat!!

Cliff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DME relay question