Intake off....now what

Old 11-05-2018, 09:35 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Intake off....now what

Took off Intake tonight.
What should I replace "while I'm in there"

I was thinking..........

1. all vacuum lines and rubber connectors. (Where would I purchase)

2. All white clips that hold the harness in spots many broke.

3. Intake gasket

4. Flywheel reference sensor (done)

5. All rubber hoses that connect to throttle body and idle control valve.

6. Rubber seal for oil dipstick housing.

7. Camshaft speed sensor and hall sensors??

8. Send out injectors for clean and replace rubber seals.

What else??
Old 11-06-2018, 08:31 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Could clean the actual intake
Replace throttle body seal
Clean idle stabilizer valve
Check harness from alternator to battery and starter to make sure it's not corroding
Swap air/oil separator seals
Replace dipstick seal
Check coolant hose in back to the firewall
Check speed sensor to make sure it's not cracked or brittle
Old 11-06-2018, 08:38 AM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by RajDatta
Could clean the actual intake
Replace throttle body seal
Clean idle stabilizer valve
Check harness from alternator to battery and starter to make sure it's not corroding
Swap air/oil separator seals
Replace dipstick seal
Check coolant hose in back to the firewall
Check speed sensor to make sure it's not cracked or brittle
Thanks

Intake....what's a good way to clean it? Pour gas in and slosh it around? It's all black and sticky.

Which speed sensor are you referring to?
Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I have not seen much trouble with the 16v knock sensors but it's worth looking them over, seeing if the wiring or connectors are crumbling. Maybe a few blobs of silicone to change the strain relief points in the wiring.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:09 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

AOS seals and goop the upper balance cover rear seal.

There are 4 or so rubber elbows for the hard vacuum lines. I would study the PET for all the small parts needed.

ECS tuning has the oetiker tool that dimples the pinch flat.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:23 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RajDatta
And even more important, look for delamination of the insulation. The harness from the alternator to the starter solenoid is a problematic piece of our cars and it's a BAD day when the 2 wires in that harness (the positive battery wire and the excitor wire for the starter solenoid) touch each other! The result is uncontrolled starter engagement that can only be stopped by disconnecting the battery and if not disconnected quickly, a risk of fire. These harnesses were discontinued long ago so the only cure is to disassemble it, remove all of the failing insulation and replace it with bulk shrink wrap or remake the harness generically.

It's hard to decide exactly when and where to stop when freshening up an old car. But if it's rubber or a gasket and you removed it, replace it. If it's a reusable part but it's dirty, clean and /or recondition it.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:14 PM
Boeing 717

Ok thanks guys for your input. I ordered lots of new stuff yesterday including new hoses and new air oil separator, throttle position switch, knock sensors, lots of gaskets etc etc.
I want your opinion on something......I am losing coolant with no evidence of a leak. I've changed a few hoses and replaced the heater valve that was leaking and thought I solved it but I have a sneaky suspicion that I am leaking coolant into a cylinder from a bad head gasket. I have just sent out an oil sample to Blackstone hopefully will indicate if there is coolant in the oil.

Since I have this stuff apart should I just go ahead and remove the head and replace the gasket?
I was wanting to do the camshaft timing anyhow,
I'm kinda trying to talk myself out of it because it seems like a lot more work. But now would be the time if I decided to do it.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:18 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Jerry - again, where do you stop? It would certainly be easier now than later but, if not already done, if you go that far you should also be refreshing all the vario-cam items. Also, the seals on the rear of the balance shaft housings have all now shrunk and if you attack those, you have disassembled down to the short block. While the head is off do you do a valve job?? It can go on and on... But done once and done right, it should be that last time that you have to go that far for another 20 years. I've done this so feel free to contact me if you want to discuss it more. It makes for a big DIY project.

Cliff
Old 11-07-2018, 02:00 PM
Boeing 717

Thanks Cliff.
All the vario cam stuff, belts, rollers, cam seals tensioner, water pump etc etc were all done when I bought the car 3000 miles ago so really the only thing would be to replace head gasket then reset timing and belt tensions. After thinking about it and looking at the maintenance manual I'm thinking maybe I should buy a coolant system pressure tester and check for a coolant leak before I go down this rabbit hole.
If I pressurize the coolant system could I then peer into the spark plug holes and see coolant coming in?
How much will the oil analysis tell me about coolant contamination?
Old 11-07-2018, 04:41 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Ho many mile are on the car? If anything over 80k, a head refresh will bring some lost power back. I would definitely give it some serious thought.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:55 PM
Boeing 717

Old 11-07-2018, 05:09 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

As long as your intake is off, you could consider a Freewheel alternator pulley (OAP or OAD) upgrade. FWIW here's more info -->http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/desi...-engine/39568/

--> my posting not too long ago. I think it was worth the effort --> https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post14703735

Old 11-07-2018, 05:57 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Jerry - there is a lot to say about what a pressure tested can and can't provide you based on the severity of the leak. A "reverse" pressure test can also be beneficial but way more time consuming. And if that cylinder head comes off, you realty need to attack those seals on the rear or the balance shaft housings. PITA, but necessary because you're soooo close.

Cliff
Old 11-07-2018, 06:28 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

Knock sensors: replace both. I cleaned up my old ones and reused them after reinstalling the head last summer and 3 months later I ended up replacing them. the rear one is a PITA with the manifold in place.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:34 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by spanky
Knock sensors: replace both. I cleaned up my old ones and reused them after reinstalling the head last summer and 3 months later I ended up replacing them. the rear one is a PITA with the manifold in place.
Yea I purchased those Spanky.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake off....now what