968 Forum 1992-1995

968: get cams or headers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 09:23 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 968: get cams or headers?

I am refreshing the head of my 968 and “while I’m in there” I want to get a bump in useable power. The car is 50/50 Street and Driver’s Ed track days.

Would you recommend slightly hotter cams or headers (Stahl, RS Barn etc) for bang for the buck? I will get a custom tune afterwards - thinking Behe in Maryland unless someone has a recommendation in New England.

I want the car to retain it’s factory drive ability and idle characteristics - just with a bump in useable power.

What’s been your experience? Thanks
Old 09-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Just curious, what kind of power bump do you want? Consider an electronic ignition?
Inquiring minds want to know...

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin
Old 09-10-2018, 11:29 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

You could try Webcamshafts:

http://www.webcamshafts.com/index.html

Web Cam Inc.
Phone: 951.369.5144
Old 09-11-2018, 08:49 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Contact Pete at RS Barn. Spoke to him yesterday and he is friendly and very knowledgeable about the progression of money to power in these cars. Depending on your budget clearly... Chip, headers/exhaust then maybe cams and better chip another day. Pete and Michael Mount have a tremendous amount of Cam knowledge on these cars. You can find Michael Mount on the Rennlist forum and he is generous with his knowledge.

Send those injectors out to a place like Witchhunter...while they are waiting on the bench for the head to show back up. For $100 or less they will clean, replace seals, and flow with a report of good health showing before and after readings.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:15 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

968 injectors are pretty good but there is a more modern Volvo injector I've been running for a few years. I do not recommend spending money cleaning the older style when there is an updated alternative:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...fferences.html
Old 09-11-2018, 03:42 PM
sm
Drifting

I spoke to Webcam and we’re looking for the specs for the stock 968 cams. Does anyone have them? Then they’ll be able to advise on lift and duration suitable for a street car, without worrying about valve / piston clearance issues.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2018, 09:42 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Contact Michael Mount. He has done a lot of R&D on our engines. He will have all your options for you. He is a user on this website.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:53 AM
will968
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Talk to Behe first. MSDS has headers for $500 http://www.msdsinc.com/exhaust.html You'd need to fab up an exhaust though.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:41 PM
sm
Drifting

I spoke to several of the vendors mentioned in this thread. I wanted to ask the board here: at what lift and duration do you start seeing degradation of idling or general street-ability of the 968 motor?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:14 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

This is all that I could find, and it is about 911 air cooled. Not sure if it helps one IOTA......

http://rennsportsystems.com/featured...haust-systems/

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin
Old 09-18-2018, 08:38 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Stock 968 cams -

T
Old 09-19-2018, 10:28 AM
frogisland
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Watch those costs!

Wow, some time since i posted on here!

Cost can build up very quickly for limited returns. I had the following done about 9 years:

Stage 2 ported 968 head
Performance camshaft (& chain)
Lightweight Flywheel
Spring centred HD Clutch Plate
Stage 3 software
Custom enlarged throttle body

Above bought from Pete at RSBarn, knowledge and straightforward. He'll help you spend your $ (don't mean that in a bad way....just that he has a good selection of parts you can choose from, and the $/£ exchange was good back then)

When you start to factor in gaskets, water pump, consumables etc perhaps over $6k now, plus your labour. I also installed a 'Cargraphic' exhaust system with race cats, injector cleaning....more cost. Then live mapping, moving variocam timing, fuelling timing chages (at lift off) etc.

One then ends up with a car that is more track orientated - lightweight flywheel becomes irritating on the road, slightly cammy car, over responsive (flywheel and throttle body). But great fun on the circuit. Overall, car was orientated towards top end power/torque.

Friend of mine used the throttle body that Pete did back then, plus live mapped his car, airbox mod, exhaust i think. Some reasonable power/torque changes (maybe 15-18 bhp more) and great driveability. If i was to repeat, this is the way i would go.

My car ended up very modified; rose jointed/solid bushing throughout, Bilstein Cup suspension + plus lots more tweeks, and TBH became a pain to drive far on the road. Really came alive on the track though.

Incidentally, it was used for hill climbing/sprints post me selling - and quite competitive at that. Couple more sale/buys and is currently up for sale again. I do wonder whether they know what they really have...its Carrara white BTW, not Grand Prix ...i had the car bare metal repainted in the brighter white.

L313 DPH sadly missed

https://www.pieperformance.co.uk/car...68-club-sport/

JP

Last edited by frogisland; 09-19-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: text error
Old 09-19-2018, 10:47 AM
frogisland
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apologies for the gratuitous photos!

Old 09-19-2018, 04:00 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the op says it all: "i'll never be happy....

what i really want is supercar performance out of this supercar chassis and body."

I agree that is what you want. The car will keep thirsting for more power until it has what it needs.

& the only way to get supercar performance is to go turbo (ask Raj how much) or V8 ($25~55k to do something properly).....

Face reality; There's not a beans worth of mods left in this motor worth doing besides going to an acceptable sounding straight pipe setup with resonators and a big *** magnaflow out the back.

accept the 968 for what it is. a wonderful front engine Porsche kit car platform to begin your project;

Call Renegade Hybrids or one of the Turbo builders and get out your checkbook.

the other crap will just foul up a perfectly fine sporty engine....
Old 09-19-2018, 04:27 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
the op says it all: "i'll never be happy....

what i really want is supercar performance out of this supercar chassis and body."

I agree that is what you want. The car will keep thirsting for more power until it has what it needs.

& the only way to get supercar performance is to go turbo (ask Raj how much) or V8 ($25~55k to do something properly).....

Face reality; There's not a beans worth of mods left in this motor worth doing besides going to an acceptable sounding straight pipe setup with resonators and a big *** magnaflow out the back.

accept the 968 for what it is. a wonderful front engine Porsche kit car platform to begin your project;

Call Renegade Hybrids or one of the Turbo builders and get out your checkbook.

the other crap will just foul up a perfectly fine sporty engine....
LOLZ, you have literally never set foot onto a road race track facility right....?

T

Quick Reply: 968: get cams or headers?