968: get cams or headers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:50 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by frogisland
snip...
Above bought from Pete at RSBarn, knowledge and straightforward. He'll help you spend your $ (don't mean that in a bad way....just that he has a good selection of parts you can choose from, and the $/£ exchange was good back then)

When you start to factor in gaskets, water pump, consumables etc perhaps over $6k now, plus your labour. I also installed a 'Cargraphic' exhaust system with race cats, injector cleaning....more cost. Then live mapping, moving variocam timing, fuelling timing chages (at lift off) etc.

Friend of mine used the throttle body that Pete did back then, plus live mapped his car, airbox mod, exhaust i think. Some reasonable power/torque changes (maybe 15-18 bhp more) and great driveability. If i was to repeat, this is the way i would go.

JP
JP - that's a beautiful car! Thanks for posting about your experience. I've had further conversations with 968-minds and will likely keep the stock cams and go with headers, bored-out throttle body, custom tune and the ported/polished head I already have. I drive this car on the street so don't want a car that loses low-rev driveability for high-RPM performance. The issue with cams, based on those conversations, is that the ones with enough lift to make a performance impact end up affecting the idling or low-RPM behaviour of the motor. If someone has cam specs that prove otherwise, please let me know.

I'll report back once this is all done.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:47 AM
frogisland
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sm, perhaps a good choice. Throttle body is great for responsiveness, don't forget injector cleaning/replacement. As i recall, i also made the airbox mod. Just found a photo. Later added some formed plastic to divert air to this large opening. Are your cams OK? I've had 2 968's and had to replace cam's on both! Re the exhaust, tried a couple of aftermarket options, can't recall the detail but you can quickly lose torque if you are not careful. Worth having a quick look into this. It's been some years (and other cars have taken over) but i do recall the original system, albeit heavy, is actually very good. Re the custom tuning, as i recall, i had the variocam changeover point moved slightly plus fuelling continuing fractionally after liftoff - i think it was to do with accelerating through the gears and ensuring fuelling. Others here may be able to shed some light on the advantages/disadvantages of this (my car was rolling road remapped by a VERY reputable tuner here in the UK) (and orientated towards track work BTW)

If your car is streetable, make sure it stops and corners well. I had several setups on the car, new standard bushing is remarkably good - there are many of them on the car (18'ish points?). IMHO no need for polybush. M030 ARB's a great upgrade. Good rebuilt standard calipers and quality pads (no caliper plate lift!). New dampers make a huge difference, KW is very good, I was not impressed with used standard, new standard, new m030 (not great). Bilstein Cup was great for the track, better track systems if you want adjustable but found the Bilsteins extremely robust and consistent....and no leaks!

Do you have an LSD. I found this put the biggest smile on my face when the car was predominantly road based. I also stiffened up the rear gearbox mounting, the solution is perhaps too far for the road, but some stiffening does make a difference on the play in that area. I also used upper and lower front chassis stiffening, again, perhaps too far for the road. Don't use solid top mounts for the road. I found these to have the greatest detrimental impact on road comfort!

Continue your homework, just my humble opinions - some great solutions and choice out there. I developed my car (read over enthusiastic) over about 8 years! Enjoyed the time thoroughly. (dare i say it on this forum...but i have 2x Group 2 BMW's now!!! e9 and e12)

JP

Old 09-20-2018, 08:00 AM
frogisland
Advanced

photo uploading problem
Old 09-20-2018, 09:23 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

JP - thanks for the additional info.

What mm did you bore your throttle body to?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:50 AM
frogisland
Advanced

Checked but i dont have the dimensions. It actually came from Peter @ RSBarn.....might be worthwhilst having a quiet word with him
Old 09-20-2018, 01:31 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Interesting transmission mount JP...source?
Old 09-20-2018, 05:54 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
.source?
You, if you have standard tools and about $8-$12 for materials...

T

Old 09-24-2018, 11:03 AM
frogisland
Advanced

Pretty much, maybe another 50c for the paint.

Quick Reply: 968: get cams or headers?