Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

HELP on prepping car for glass out respray

Old 08-24-2018, 02:52 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default HELP on prepping car for glass out respray

Well my 997TT sold very quickly and now I am contemplating keeping my 968 for the 100th time. Yes, this is me and imagine how my relationships must be! So the shop that I went to for paint doesn't want to dismantle the car to a glass out respray because it's too time consuming. If I do the work they are all in and the cost is much much less. How difficult is it to take the body apart and most specifically the plastic pieces on either side of the roof, door handles and mirrors, headlights and glass with seals. I can handles taking the bumpers, hatch and skirts off but it seems the pieces mentioned require a bit more work and complexity. If you have experience, or better, a DIY that would be amazing. If I can tackle this I will get it underway immediately and get this puppy painted!
Old 08-24-2018, 05:05 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Send a PM to 968Gene...
Old 08-24-2018, 05:45 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Not difficult at all. The biggest challenge will be to remove the windshield and rear quarter glass. The windshield always tends to crack so be prepared for a new windshield. Most of the trim pieces are very easy to remove. Same goes for bumpers and rockers. Mirrors and door handles will require removal of door cards but that is not difficult either.
Give it a try and ask if you run into any issues.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:28 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

My main issue is the drip rails on the roof. I have searched and found a thread on them but am a little nervous.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:57 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Ok got the rain gutters off. Anyone know the part numbers for the rubber gasket in there and those clips? I broke a few clips and am just going to replace them all. The gaskets are 24 years old so those will be replaced as well.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:34 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Subscribed. Take pictures!
Old 08-25-2018, 04:38 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I suggest taking apart the door handles as well. So you get a perfect finish.

Porsche 968 door handles, basic sanding done.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:49 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

HFB - when you sanded the handles down, did you get a metal or primer finish?
Old 08-25-2018, 06:48 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sm
HFB - when you sanded the handles down, did you get a metal or primer finish?
The goal was to get a primer finish, but I came down to the metal on some spots. So I had to coat the handles with a thin layer of epoxy primer to cover the metal.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:34 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

These are the clips and a few of them broke. The second picture is the tiny little tab that is part f the car that broke off. Good thing I have a buddy who is a welder! The trim piece came off with the use of a few plastic pry tools and some pulling. The little rubber gaskets in them are $40 each! so I will clean mine up and reuse them.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:43 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Mission aborted! After spending the weekend and morning going through what has to be removed and the fragile old pieces involved I have decided to abort mission. Will most likely satin wrap the hood, roof and rear spoiler and be done with it. As Porsche is doing this from the factory on the GT2RS and GT3's I feel it will be fine. I can live with it and the car will look great (I hope!). I am going to address certain needs before I do the wrap like new moldings for the rockers, new gaskets for the rear spoiler, and a rattling in the driver's side window.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
Mission aborted! After spending the weekend and morning going through what has to be removed and the fragile old pieces involved I have decided to abort mission. Will most likely satin wrap the hood, roof and rear spoiler and be done with it. As Porsche is doing this from the factory on the GT2RS and GT3's I feel it will be fine. I can live with it and the car will look great (I hope!). I am going to address certain needs before I do the wrap like new moldings for the rockers, new gaskets for the rear spoiler, and a rattling in the driver's side window.
Curious where you heard Porsche is offering satin wraps on their cars out of the factory. I was unaware if this.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:36 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Maybe not satin wraps and the buyer may have installed it but I see a lot of GT3's and GT2's equipped like this and am not sure who installed the wrap:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ts-6sp-mt.html

Anyway, if it looks this good on these cars it can't look bad on a 968.....I hope!
Old 08-29-2018, 09:26 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

So got the rear spoiler and side trims off as well as the rockers on both side. While a little tricky (the rear spoiler) not a deal breaker and I want to paint these pieces. I am trying to remove the door panels and just wanted to know if the instructions for 1986-1991 944 on Pelican Parts still apply to the 968. I am going to tackle it but if there are nuances please let me know.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:45 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Ok I am making some decent progress so back again to full dismantling. Having trouble finding a guide how to remove the taillamp assemblies. Any resources out there?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP on prepping car for glass out respray