968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Cab fuel tank sending unit

Old 08-19-2018, 06:43 PM
BOB968
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 Cab fuel tank sending unit

Folks:

The gas gauge is not working properly in my 95 Cab. I removed the sending unit from the tank to test it, but it is obvious someone has tried to repair it before as the large aluminum tube is damaged and does not attach properly to the unit. So that is easy to replace. I went on line to check for a new unit and notice that they all have what appears to be a plastic cover on the bottom. However, when I removed the sending unit, there was no plastic cover piece at the end. I retrieved the plastic cover and a plastic piece that fits on the end of the aluminum tube and keeps everything aligned ( the nut on the end holding it to the sending unit had come of) from the tank.

When I use a good flashlight and peer down the opening of the tank, I see a large plastic disc that appears to be about 6 inches in diameter (and obviously too big to remove through the sending unit opening) with a hole that I am guessing is the size of the plastic cover on the sending unit or larger. I looked at various parts diagrams include the Porsche catalog and cannot find such a piece.

Can someone please tell me where this fits and what the purpose is?

Thanks.

Bob

Old 08-19-2018, 07:18 PM
just joshin
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That fits on top of the "reserve bowl" in the bottom of the tank. When someone removed the sending unit the plastic on the bottom of the unit caught the part you are asking about, and pulled it off. It wont really hurt anything, but it can be removed. I used a long pair of locking pliers and just forced it out.Trying to replace it is like trying to build a ship in a bottle.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:31 PM
BOB968
4th Gear

Thanks Just Joshin!
I may be missing something here, but how do you get a 6" diameter disk out of a 3" hole.

Bob968
Old 08-19-2018, 09:44 PM
just joshin
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a thin piece. it will fold/bend in half
Old 08-19-2018, 10:01 PM
BOB968
4th Gear

Thanks Just Joshin. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 968 Cab fuel tank sending unit