Old 06-16-2018, 07:43 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts
Default FS: Window Express units and Dynamat

Offer removed from FS.

For Sale:

2 Window Express Units,. bought at $50 ea, from Paragon Products. FS at $25 ea

Dynamat Extreme for 2 doors and install roller; bought at $68. FS at $34.

both plus shipping.

I bought these last year and was just now starting to install. After removing a door panel i discovered that the PO had installed Dynamat on the doors. So don't need this Dynamat.

With Dynamat on the doors I was not able to access the window motors to install the Window Express (was going to put one on each window).

So I'd like to find someone that can use these items. PM me with questions.

Last edited by az968gpw; 06-17-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:05 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Are windows express units needed for each door?
I am interested.

Originally Posted by az968gpw
For Sale:

2 Window Express Units,. bought at $50 ea, from Paragon Products. FS at $25 ea

Dynamat Extreme for 2 doors and install roller; bought at $68. FS at $34.

both plus shipping.

I bought these last year and was just now starting to install. After removing a door panel i discovered that the PO had installed Dynamat on the doors. So don't need this Dynamat.

With Dynamat on the doors I was not able to access the window motors to install the Window Express (was going to put one on each window).

So I'd like to find someone that can use these items. PM me with questions.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:13 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Do you think the dynamat makes a big difference?
Old 06-16-2018, 08:22 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Dynamat is the best thing you can do for your sound system, blocks a lot of outside noises that is coming thru the doors and exterior panels that over rides the speakers. My car sound system wasn't that bad, but I figured if I was going to take the door panels off to install Window Express I'll install some Dynamat while I was in there. Now I know why it wasn't so bad.

You need one window express for the driver's and one for passenger's window. if you don't want to have one-touch on the passenger side you can just install one on the dirver's side. Installing a unit on each window allows one-touch from the driver's seat for either window.

I was planning to install a unit on each window, then cover the door panel with Dynamat. When I discoverred the existing Dynamat i didn't want to take it off and damage the plastic sheet over the window assembly so I just put the door panel back on.

I would guess a full day to do both jobs. And while in there take time to clean and silicon the window tracks so they open/close better.
  1. https://www.paragon-products.com/Win...dowexpress.htm
I see Jason now gets $70 ea.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:10 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

PM sent.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:58 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

So this is embarrassing. This morning I received an email from an experienced 968 guy I've known for a long time. His advice was that the PO installed the existing Dynamat all wrong, it's supposed to be on the outer sheet metal, which I knew, and does nothing when on the inner sheet metal. He told me to remove it, install my stuff properly and put in the Window Express units and I'll love the results. So I'm going to dive in there again and see if it looks like I can do that.

Thanks, and again, sorry I wasted your time.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:29 PM
Nathan J.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am curious when you say "outer sheet metal" and "inner sheet metal". Am I right in assuming that the outer sheet metal is the skin of the door? If this is the case, what is the inner sheet metal?
Old 06-17-2018, 09:38 PM
Nathan J.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am interested in also installing Dynamat in my doors. I would welcome any insight from someone who has done this job, how much work is it to accomplish? In particular, how much of the internals of the door do you have to remove to gain access?

If I started this job, I would also want to replace the outer door seals (477.837.469A and 477.837.470A). Looking at PET, it appears that these seals are held in place with a set of clips (171.837.485), any guidance on this part of the job would also be appreciated?

Thanks Nathan
Old 06-17-2018, 11:11 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

How much noise does it actually reduce? My car is pretty noisy but it's mostly tire noise. I've actually been toying with the idea of putting dynamat on the back side of my plastic fender linings. Do you think that would work?
Old 06-18-2018, 02:06 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

So these cars are pretty noisy, not a lot of sound deadening from the factory and the rear hatch on the coupes is great at amplifying the noise. So Dynamat is a great way to cut down noise and especially the doors to improve the speaker sound. The side panels in the back seat could also benefit from Dynamat.So could the floor under the carpet.

I thought of the doors as consisting of layers. Probably not the.best technical term. The outer layer is the outside of the door. This is where the Dynamat should go. With the window up most of it can be reached. Dynamat all surfaces. The next layer would be the window mechansim, the glass, the frame, etc. I'll clean and silicon spray all of this while I'm in there so the windows open more snoothly. The next layer is some sheet metal panels that cover the window mechansim. This is where the PO installed the Dynamat, which was wrong and I now have to remove. Thats what I called the inner panel. The last layer would be the door card, speakers and map pocket.

Removal of the door card isn't difficult, just some screws. Then some speaker connections to undo so they can be removed to finish removing the door card to give access to the window mechanism.

Dynamat is a sheet with paper to peel off exposing the stick side. Can be cut with sissors. So I'll cut to fit and then stick it on. I bought a small roller to help with this.

After starting this yesterday, I think I can do both doors in an easy day.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:09 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

From what I've been told Dynamat needs to be inside the car as a barrier to road noise. Don't know how effective it would be on just in fenderwell liners, probably not much

I'll comment on noice reduction after I get the front doors done. Just subjective, won't be measuring anything.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:25 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Dynamat does two things: As you have noted above it helps block outside noise from coming inside, the second important thing it does is help create a better box for your speaker. Rather than having a sheetmetal box for the rear wave of a speaker to reflect and bounce it provides a better deadening of the back wave speakers produce and effectively a better cabinet for your drivers. If you ever took apart a great cabinet speaker you will notice how well they are internally braced and dampened. The combination of keeping out road noise and providing a better cabinet for your drivers is a nice improvement to sound quality.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:00 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Yes, that is absolutely another reason to do this. In fact, there is a way to create a great "sound box" for the rear speakers using Dynamat that is suppose to really make the sound from them much better. Not on my list for now, but someday when I upgrade the OE speakers that's something I will look at closely while I'm in there.

Quick Reply: FS: Window Express units and Dynamat