Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Feeler on my 1992 968 (Coupe, Red/Tan & amazing)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 02:39 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Good luck. We'll be watching. Hopefully a bidding war erupts like last time.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Good luck. We'll be watching. Hopefully a bidding war erupts like last time.
+1

Will be watching it as well.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:48 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Just stay away from my record breaking spot, my white 968 hammer at $36,250 lol, good luck man
Old 06-29-2018, 12:53 AM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlau
Jeff will chime in at some point, but from what I remember all of the metallic paints have been two-stage base/clear, and at some point during 968 production the non-metallics went from being single-stage to base/clear.
Is this correct? So a ‘94 has base/clear Guards Red paint....?
Old 06-30-2018, 10:12 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Be very careful with BaT. I just had a miserable experience so you should know how they work before you submit your car.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
Be very careful with BaT. I just had a miserable experience so you should know how they work before you submit your car.
Please explain? I had a friend who sold his Morgan on BaT. He loved the experience.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin
Old 06-30-2018, 10:44 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

They would not accept my car unless I agreed to a an extremely low reserve because my car had some mods. So I spent a good amount of money and time removing nearly all the mods and when I resubmitted the car they came back with the same low reserve. I argued for a while and they came up a little bit but still well below the reserve I thought was fair. Regardless, I figured I would give it a shot as I felt my car would sell well above the reserve and my backup plan was to buy the car myself if it hit the reserve and I didn't get the price I wanted. I figured the 5% fee was the cost of doing business if I didn't get my price so that was my plan.

Well, fast forward to my auction and a couple of people just crapped on one aspect of the car that was insignificant and they were wrong about but they killed the interest in my car. My car didn't meet reserve but BaT sold the car anyway to the highest bidder. They exercised a right in their T&C's called a "make good" whereby they can sell your car below reserve if it gets close and BaT makes up the difference. I was never informed about this option and when my auction was over my dashboard clearly said my car was NOT sold. But when you saw the car on the site it said "sold." I was very confused and then they told me about the "make good" option. Had I known about the option I would have bid or maybe not submitted the car at all.

I was (still am?) devastated as my car sold for nearly half price. I wanted to back out but the legal issues and headache were not worth it. BaT was one of my favorite sites and now I can't bear to even look at it anymore. Miserable experience.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:52 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

They would not accept my car unless I agreed to a an extremely low reserve because my car had some mods. So I spent a good amount of money and time removing nearly all the mods and when I resubmitted the car they came back with the same low reserve. I argued for a while and they came up a little bit but still well below the reserve I thought was fair. Regardless, I figured I would give it a shot as I felt my car would sell well above the reserve and my backup plan was to buy the car myself if it hit the reserve and I didn't get the price I wanted. I figured the 5% fee was the cost of doing business if I didn't get my price so that was my plan.

Well, fast forward to my auction and a couple of people just crapped on one aspect of the car that was insignificant and they were wrong about but they killed the interest in my car. My car didn't meet reserve but BaT sold the car anyway to the highest bidder. They exercised a right in their T&C's called a "make good" whereby they can sell your car below reserve if it gets close and BaT makes up the difference. I was never informed about this option and when my auction was over my dashboard clearly said my car was NOT sold. But when you saw the car on the site it said "sold." I was very confused and then they told me about the "make good" option. Had I known about the option I would have bid or maybe not submitted the car at all.

I was (still am?) devastated as my car sold for nearly half price. I wanted to back out but the legal issues and headache were not worth it. BaT was one of my favorite sites and now I can't bear to even look at it anymore. Miserable experience.
When you submit your listing the option for BAT to add to complete reserve is very clear. It doesn't sound like any of this is BAT's fault, and your master plan of buying the car yourself from yourself from BAT if you didn't like the price is not fair for the people that spent a week bidding on it- The price it went to is pretty much what the market feels its worth now, i don't see any of this being BAT's fault..maybe your car is just overpriced in your mind.

I've sold 3 cars on BAT happily & with zero issues. Sure people leave mean bad comments but if you have a good car and you can back up your rebuttals you can easily shut them the hell up!
Old 06-30-2018, 07:26 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

As I have accepted the results of the sale I have also admitted that I should have read the T&C's more clearly. I do believe the make-good option should be explained fully and when I went back to the site and searched for the language it is buried pretty deep in there. People bid on their own cars at every auction be it Barrett Jackson or BaT and that is a common tactic especially during no or low reserve auctions when the car is not getting the interest it deserves. The person stating that my drip rails were painted was flat out wrong but it was a lost cause. I pointed out that I had an original brochure from 1992 which clearly shows the car with painted drip rails but he kept insisting he was right. Others chimed in but it was a lost cause and I felt that not responding to every comment was better than arguing back and forth. Anyway, a few weeks before a stock 300ZX with 8k miles sold for $46.5k and it's front end was repainted exactly like mine. I am not saying my car was worth the same money but it was not worth $20k less and I was offered mid-$30's on the car many times. I really thought it would sell around $40k. The sales price was not market correct but I do not blame BaT except that a provision like that should be highlighted and explained.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:36 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

As I have accepted the results of the sale I have also admitted that I should have read the T&C's more clearly. I do believe the make-good option should be explained fully and when I went back to the site and searched for the language it is buried pretty deep in there. People bid on their own cars at every auction be it Barrett Jackson or BaT and that is a common tactic especially during no or low reserve auctions when the car is not getting the interest it deserves. The person stating that my drip rails were painted was flat out wrong but it was a lost cause. I pointed out that I had an original brochure from 1992 which clearly shows the car with painted drip rails but he kept insisting he was right. Others chimed in but it was a lost cause and I felt that not responding to every comment was better than arguing back and forth. Anyway, a few weeks before a stock 300ZX with 8k miles sold for $46.5k and it's front end was repainted exactly like mine. I am not saying my car was worth the same money but it was not worth $20k less and I was offered mid-$30's on the car many times. I really thought it would sell around $40k. The sales price was not market correct but I do not blame BaT except that a provision like that should be highlighted and explained.
you should have never accepted such a low reserve then. I saw that hecklers comments and actually just left him a comment today on the auction couldn't help myself lol. I never thought to bid on my cars on BAT, or even considered it an option btw.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:34 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I just saw your comment but he retorted immediately which is why I stopped responding but thank you. Bidding on your own car is an extremely common tactic I learned when I tried partnering with a dealership. They would bring cars to dealer auctions and bid on them because many were no reserve or they set the reserve very low to bring the buyers out. If the car got to a decent price they would drop the hammer no problem but if the price went nowhere they would buy the car and the auction company knew all about it. Anyway, this one is my fault and in my exuberance to sell my car on BaT I didn't pay much attention to anything until it was over. But from now on I think others should know about that caveat before listing their car to avoid my experience.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

BMWTMX-Sorry about your difficulties. The "buy in clause" is common for most auction houses. They want to protect their commission.
When my friend sold his Morgan, he set a very high reserve(I was even surprised that they would accept it). High bid was just under reserve. High bidder contacted my friend and they worked out a deal where my friend go over reserve and buyer paid less than high bid plus commission. BaT only go my friend's $99.
I guess, moral of the story is not to let them talk you out of your reserve price.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin
Old 07-01-2018, 09:50 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

No doubt. Well enough drudging up my experience and lets see what this 968 goes for.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

In any case, thanks for sharing your experience.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin
Old 07-01-2018, 12:07 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I find the data interesting on BAT. In 2017 it appears approximately 23 968's went up for sale (3 in the first half of 2017 and approximately 20 in the second half??). Of the cars that SOLD if you take out the low at $8,168 and the high at $36,250 the average sales price for 968's on BAT in 2017 was $ 17,900. Actually not too many interesting cars (NO M030 cars, 1 speed yellow) given all the cool and rare colors the 968 came in. The other interesting fact of the 2017 BAT data shows that 3 of the top 5 sales price cars were CABS and that surprises me after watching many cabs sell well below Coupes in other forums/exchanges. If history repeats itself then so far in 2018 we have seen 4 go up for sale and between now and end of year we should see 20 cars get listed?? Gentleman start your engines! Cant wait to see some cool cars come out for sale, but really waiting to see what an M030 car or Riviera Blue or Iris Blue or Horizon Blue car will sell for.....

Quick Reply: Feeler on my 1992 968 (Coupe, Red/Tan & amazing)