Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

6 Speed Transmission Stuck in Neutral, Unable to Select Gears.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 12:10 PM
pete968/928
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 6 Speed Transmission Stuck in Neutral, Unable to Select Gears.

A few weeks ago I was on my way to meet up with Jeff in Prospect Park for Cars and Coffee when suddenly while travelling around 70 mph on the BQE my car started to decelerate. I soon realized that my transmission was disengaged. It some how slipped out of gear and was stuck in neutral. Fortunately, I had enough momentum to safely switch over two lanes, take the next exit and roll to a safe stop. I have not been able to select any gears since. I have not had much time to look at it and will not until the end of June/July. I checked the shift linkage on the trans-axle and it is fine. I do not believe it is the clutch as it never slipped. The hydraulics seem to be fine as I am able to push the clutch pedal freely. What could it be? Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 06-06-2018, 02:05 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

CV joints, torque couplings....
​​​​​​​
Old 06-06-2018, 06:41 PM
LTCMontana
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 462 Likes on 237 Posts

When my clutch went, there was no slippage either. I was accelerating from a turn and, bang. engine started reving and I pulled to the side.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 PM
will968
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm thinking clutch too. Can you change gears without the engine running?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:46 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd get someone to help select a gear (fwd) and release the clutch while you look under the rear for the axle flange spinning or not.

CV broken internally.

Is car limited slip..?

968 takes vehicle speed at the wheel sensor but if it were a late 944, the speedo would register speed if the CVs were broken.

If you can get just the rear jacked, remove rectangular rubber plug, perform same test with a helper and check to see if coupler is spinning when clutch is released, car in gear.

If not, clutch or coupling, if it is spinning, transmission or cv.

T
Old 06-07-2018, 05:25 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd go with the clutch too. Definately start there first and rule this out. Had same, similar issue within a couple of months form my purchase. Motorway cruising then no drive, clutch pedal fine, could select any gear but no drive. Turned out to be the clutch assembly no longer connected to the tube clamp/shaft. Apparently the clutch > drive had come adrift or slipped (bolts not fully secure maybe) - no physical connection. In your case something is also not allowing gear selection (still likely clutch related)

Enlighten all when you've eventually traced the issue. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:24 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Does the shifter feel like it's in neutral? Do you hear clicking sounds when you try changing gears? Trying to determine what you try with your shifter has any affect on the internals of the transmission.
You might need a 2nd person to help you troubleshoot. Have them shift gears (car can be stationary and not running while you check to see if anything is happening to the transmission linkage.
Could be linkage or internal issues with transmission.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:39 AM
pete968/928
Advanced

Thanks all I appreciate the feedback! Gives me lots of ideas to work with. I am able to easily move the shifter through the gear cage. However, I am unable to select any gears weather the engine is on or off so it does feel like the transmission is in neutral or something is detached. My first guess was that the shift linkage in the rear is detached but not the case. My next guess is that the the clutch release fork is detached or the throw out bearing is shot. I saw a case on the Pelican forum where a torque tube coupling broke shattered. I will thoroughly investigate and share my finding in a month or so. Stay tuned...

Thx,
Pete
Old 06-08-2018, 05:32 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Subscribed..
Old 06-08-2018, 09:58 AM
LTDzak
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought there was a shift rod that could become unbolted from a lever on the trans, have read that previously, bolt vibrates out.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:14 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Whatever it is, it should not be hard to troubleshoot, just have to get under there and see what is going on, excellent advice in this thread.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:59 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

The BQE will often do this to cars, which is why I always recommend taking the Triboro and then FDR. Oh wait, that wasn't your question. It's possible that the shift linkage has become disconnected: there is for example a pointy-headed bolt that connects the shift rod (long rod from cabin back to transmission) to the intermediate shift lever (linkage at the transmission). Frequent culprit.

Clutch vaguely possible, but usually you'll get signs of impending demise before it lets go. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2018, 06:57 PM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Oh no! I just saw this, I was wondering what happened to you for CarPark! Is everything ok?
Old 08-04-2018, 12:54 AM
pete968/928
Advanced

So I finally got around to spending some time under my car. I removed the exhaust and was able to shift the transmission by hand. Everything seems fine there. Checked the fluid level and it is good and clean since I flushed it a few months prior. I removed the clutch housing cover and inspected the assembly. It looks old and sooty so it's obviously time for a new clutch; though I never had any clutch or shifting issues prior. The clutch always worked like new and this all happened suddenly. As i loosen the pressure plate bolts it rained soot. I wiped the soot off the pressure plate and noticed it has a 964 (blue band) pressure plate so I will remove and replace the assembly. In my attempt to remove the clutch assembly I cranked the engine with the aim of aligning the socket head bolt of clamping sleeve (as seen on page 30 of the shop manual) so I could remove it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my recollection from doing the clutch on my 92 Slate Grey Cab that I sold is that the clamping sleeve turns when the engine is cranked? If my memory serves correct then this must be the issue (a loose clamping sleeve aka torque coupling) as mentioned by thomasmryan, 951and944s and LM964, I am now faced with the daunting challenge of enabling the torque tube coupling to rotate without removing the transaxle. Any ideas? I suppose I could release the other coupling from the transaxle end and rotate? I would like to have this done and dusted this weekend as I have not driven this car in over a month. I am at the point of having withdrawals as summer is quietly slipping by.... I have owned this car for about a year and a half and have put a lot of work into it making anything that was wrong right but have not serviced the clutch before so It's high time to have it sorted..

Hey guys thank you for all your feedback! I greatly appreciate it! I try to read this forum religiously as there are always some very interesting threads and many contributors who are knowledgeable and able to provide sound advice.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 08-04-2018, 12:57 AM
pete968/928
Advanced

And yes I will replace the rear main seal while in there...

Quick Reply: 6 Speed Transmission Stuck in Neutral, Unable to Select Gears.