Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Need WSM diagram of drive shaft depth in Clutch

Old 04-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Constantine
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Need WSM diagram of drive shaft depth in Clutch

Does anyone have the Porsche 968 WSM diagram showing the correct depth of the short shaft in the clutch pack for both the twin disc and single disc applications?

Need to confirm correct depth of capture of the front drive shaft splines in the clutch.

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:45 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Ha! - this sounds familiar. Hey C - I'll email you what I have and call you again later.

Cliff
Old 04-19-2018, 02:22 PM
Constantine
Rennlist Member

Thank you!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:33 AM
Constantine
Rennlist Member

Still need this information.

This would be very helpful for all those planning to run a 968 torque tube system in a 944 Turbo platform as one of our customers is doing with uprated HP/TQ figures that unfortunately resulted with a broken 968 drive shaft. Currently waiting for new custom 968 drive shafts designed by us to hopefully with stand the abuse of this customers ride. However one other problem we have noticed is the possible depth of capture issue of the short clutch shaft within the clutch, that's why we need this information. Didn't think it would be this hard to get?

Why would someone want to run a 968 torque tube system in a 944? For the ease of doing a clutch R&R.

Cheers,
Constantine
Old 04-26-2018, 08:46 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Constantine
Still need this information.

This would be very helpful for all those planning to run a 968 torque tube system in a 944 Turbo platform as one of our customers is doing with uprated HP/TQ figures that unfortunately resulted with a broken 968 drive shaft. Currently waiting for new custom 968 drive shafts designed by us to hopefully with stand the abuse of this customers ride. However one other problem we have noticed is the possible depth of capture issue of the short clutch shaft within the clutch, that's why we need this information. Didn't think it would be this hard to get?

Why would someone want to run a 968 torque tube system in a 944? For the ease of doing a clutch R&R.

Cheers,
Constantine
Hey C sorry, I've been insane busy and meant to call. This file is too large for me to send in its entirety and I've yet to look at the specific section that you desire to know about. I'm suspecting it will show us nothing. Since P doesn't offer TT bearings, they don't intend for us to be able to change them and that's the only time that the position of the drive shaft in the tube would be (in their opinion) important to know. And since the position of the drive shaft determines the location of / depth of the first shaft, please don't get your hopes up. I'm betting that the info we want is not in print form that we will have access to, but I'll look and we'll talk again.

Cliff
Old 04-28-2018, 12:59 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

For a stock 968, what would be the difference between a single disc and a twin disc clutch?

-Y

AKA 968 virgin
Old 05-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Moparboy72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An interesting issue;

Looking through the WSM section 30-2 there is really no specs given, the instructions are to: "Push the central (I stub) shaft in the forward direction while you center the drive plate (clutch) at the same time." There are notes which further state that there is "a grove machined in to the central (I stub )shaft to allow a screw driver to assist in pushing the shaft forward." There a photos which show the sight hole/peep hole which is just aft of the bell housing. This is the hole used to access the clamping sleeve/clamp sleeve bolt. The next step is to "determine the center position of the clamping sleeve relative to the central shaft (II, main shaft) and tighten the Allen head bolt."

Can you say what the limit of the standard shaft are? In the future was planning to change out my TT bearings to the and keep the standard shaft. It sounds like this may be a problem at a certain power level.

Good luck on you repair/fix!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Constantine
Rennlist Member

Hi Moparboy72,

Thanks for this information.

In further conversation with our customer it seems he is using a clutch disc for a 911, which might not position the short shaft capture correctly. Still working through this with him.

Also in working further into this issue with the help of Mr. Hudson, it seems the front end nub is not captured as deeply into the pilot bearing at the back of the crankshaft as the 944 drive shafts. The limiting factor are the grooves in the long and short shafts which position the depth of capture at this critical area as well as in the clutch.

So we are looking at increasing the adjustability of this also while we're at it.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need WSM diagram of drive shaft depth in Clutch