Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Photo Shoot Before Selling - PIC HEAVY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:24 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Photo Shoot Before Selling - PIC HEAVY!!!

Hey gang.

It's been a while since I've posted here. Life got all kinds of crazy during the back half of 2017, and my family and I are now residents of the Sunshine State, WAY further south than our old stomping grounds in western Massachusetts. Which is great when you have a few different cabrios to enjoy the weather, but terrible if you need a basement to store all the parts you trick yourself into believing you'll one day get around to installing.

We're fortunate to have enough garage space to FIT the cars in. But having them fit and having them be easily accessible are two really different things, especially when they're competing for space with the tire rack, workbench, tool stands, and all those parts that no longer have that basement to live in.

So it's come time to set one free, and I've decided to part with the Guards Red 968 cabrio. Such an incredible car! And a 220-option LSD specimen, too! I've had a LOT of fun bringing it to the incredible shape it's in today. It was never really bad, mind you, just kinda cosmetically neglected and in need of some regular maintenance and milestone preventive stuff - all of which was done well in time by a true master in NY. And I've got all the records as well.

The whole interior was redone in full two-tone leather with deviated stitching over OEM sport seats, and the faded cashmere carpets were all replaced with OEM black units from a clean part-out. I've got the original Cup 1 wheels, stereo, US-spec front lenses, everything. Plus a few accessories as well such as the wind deflector, the RS-Barn stage 1 tune chip (have the original also), strut tower brace, and also an undercarriage chassis brace from Brey Krause which is still in the box. (See?!) And all the rocker panel seals, and door handle gaskets, the original seats, a front splitter, and on and on and on. Not sure how much of that will be part of the sale of the vehicle itself, there's quite a few bucks in the "extras" I've got.

Anyway, I'll get into all the details in the listing wherever and whenever it goes up, but I'l be happy to answer any questions here.

In the meantime, I figured I'd share one or two or fifty of the pics I took on Saturday. They're right off the camera, no retouching, just downsized to not break the screen. Hopefully. Fingers crossed. And for the love of all that is holy, please don't quote this message. Too much red... for just one thread!

On with the show!
-V

Old 02-20-2018, 10:15 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I have seen this car in person last year or so and can say it is physically in beautiful shape!

And I do remember you using dollies and being creative in the last house to move those cars around in the garage!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:45 PM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Great looking car! How much are you asking for?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Obviously you are in FL now based on the house.....no Western MA there!

I am leaving on Thursday for my pilgrimage to FL for 5 weeks.....will be in Daytona Beach.....where are you? If I can fit it in, would love to see the car, will also being going down South during the month to visit customers.

Really, really cool interior!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:20 PM
Jaap911
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default damage?

Does it look like scratches or a little damage on your rear bumper (on the righthand underside)
Or is het only shadow/light?
Very nice car!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:41 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by touareg
I have seen this car in person last year or so and can say it is physically in beautiful shape!

And I do remember you using dollies and being creative in the last house to move those cars around in the garage!
Thanks for the kind words old friend! Was nice seeing you and the family that day. Wish I'd had more chances to get together with you while I was still up there and enjoy a few more of those country roads!

-V
Old 02-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by jblaw
Great looking car! How much are you asking for?

I'm still narrowing down on the number but all the trusted voices I've heard (both solicited and unsolicited) are telling me comfortably north of $30k. I'm not what you'd call a "motivated seller," this is purely a sale of convenience. It's important to me that the car find its way to an owner who will appreciate what it is, and that type of owner will see the value. That said, there's no emotional surcharge: it's "just a car," I know. But it's just car that I'd prefer to see treated properly.

Thoughts welcome!
-V

Last edited by Vendetta NY; 02-20-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Obviously you are in FL now based on the house.....no Western MA there!

I am leaving on Thursday for my pilgrimage to FL for 5 weeks.....will be in Daytona Beach.....where are you? If I can fit it in, would love to see the car, will also being going down South during the month to visit customers.

Really, really cool interior!
Yes sir! But gulf coast, north of Tampa region. Not exactly around the corner from Daytona. Any chance you're heading to St. Pete for the Firestone GP March 11?

Save travels!
-V
Old 02-20-2018, 02:59 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by Jaap911
Does it look like scratches or a little damage on your rear bumper (on the righthand underside)
Or is het only shadow/light?
Very nice car!
Thank you! And yes, good spotting. There are some minor scrapes underneath the rear clip on the passenger side. Like the previous owner was reversing near a curb or something that was a little too tall. I haven't paid too much attention to them, and they might even polish down to not be so obvious.

But this is why I took a million pics, with both low and high angle shots from each photo position, and with both the top up and the top down, so that nothing is "hidden" on or in the car. When I bought it, the pictures the seller sent left me a bit disappointed upon seeing it in person. Sweet old lady though, so she gets a pass.

...which brings me to another point though: This car has been owned from new by a grandmother, and then me. And I've put less than a thousand miles per year on it, and lots of white glove shop time. It's like a one-and-a-half owner car.

-V

EDIT/PS: I made an album of all these shots in full-res also, in case you want to see things like orange peel, or like, the ears on the gnat stuck to the windshield. Here's the album.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:20 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Looks great. How did you black out the carpets? Replace or dye? I see you went the extra mile and blacked out the carpets on the lower door panels, which is the way it should be done if you are going to do a carpet color change,
Old 02-26-2018, 12:58 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently all of the black carpet pieces came from a parted out car.

"The whole interior was redone in full two-tone leather with deviated stitching over OEM sport seats, and the faded cashmere carpets were all replaced with OEM black units from a clean part-out. "
Old 02-26-2018, 10:21 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Originally Posted by jeff968
Looks great. How did you black out the carpets? Replace or dye? I see you went the extra mile and blacked out the carpets on the lower door panels, which is the way it should be done if you are going to do a carpet color change,
Originally Posted by culture
Apparently all of the black carpet pieces came from a parted out car.

"The whole interior was redone in full two-tone leather with deviated stitching over OEM sport seats, and the faded cashmere carpets were all replaced with OEM black units from a clean part-out. "
Correct, the carpets are OEM in black from a clean part out car that was on the west coast. Cost a pretty penny, but dyeing the ones I had really didn't appeal to me, especially since I was already going all out with the leather and the rest of the interior. But I ended up donating the carpet I pulled out to a fellow member.

-V
Old 03-26-2018, 10:43 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Now on BaT:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...iolet-9/?blm=4
Old 04-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Default Ouch

Originally Posted by spark1
Would like to have seen it sell, but not at the high bid. Glad it was listed with a reserve.
-V
Old 04-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

BAT is all over the place. Yours is a super nice car and what you are asking seems to be in line with the "asking" price of other 968's. But you never know where they are selling. The white coupe that went for the large amount (about 36K) seems to be the product of a bidding war and I would not say it was market value, but that is my opinion.

Well, you get to enjoy it a little more, you can always put it in the classifieds here and on Pelican and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Photo Shoot Before Selling - PIC HEAVY!!!