Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

CryoDetail

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 03:04 AM
rsteinjann
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The place in Florida says the process removes cosmoline and doesn't harm rubber and plastic. How do people feel about this process and the results? Seems much less invasive than a brush and solvent. My belief was that the factory applied cosmoline to prevent rust during shipment. I'm not sure if the dealer was supposed to remove that as a pre-delivery prep, or if it typically was done.

After 30 years and 50,000 miles on a 911 I bought new, I frankly cannot tell what might be remaining cosmoline and what's built up road grim, minor oil and grease leaks and dirt. I'm not looking to get the car back to factory original to be trailered to shows. I would though like to have a clean suspension, undercarriage and engine compartment. Something that makes it a pleasure to do minor work, rather than have it all being a dull gray that falls on my face.

After further research on this site, it sounds like the consensus is that Tectyl is actually the preservative used by Porsche in recent years (that being 80s+). And the advice seems to be that if you strip the engine and underside to original finishes, it's prudent to apply some corrosion protection again, whether Tectyl or other product. Please give me your thoughts. thanks.

Last edited by rsteinjann; 10-11-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:41 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by spark1
I thought I had seen a thread that had some discussions on part cleaning options, including a laser cleaner/detail, but for the life of me I can not find it.

A friend of mine had his 968 Cryo-Detailed. I have no affiliation with this company. My friend, only a customer of CryoDetail, has no other affiliation with them them except being a customer.

Here is an article that I found on Pelican:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...g-dry-ice.html

Looks great, surprised that it plays well with rubber though...

-Yogii
AKA 968 Virgin

PS what little I know about CO2 is that under the right pressure it takes very little temperature change for CO2 to change from a solid to a liquid to a gas.

and there is this article too:
https://petrolicious.com/articles/cl...tually-a-thing

Last edited by Yogii; 10-11-2018 at 06:47 AM. Reason: adding to post
Old 10-12-2018, 03:11 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rsteinjann

After further research on this site, it sounds like the consensus is that Tectyl is actually the preservative used by Porsche in recent years (that being 80s+). And the advice seems to be that if you strip the engine and underside to original finishes, it's prudent to apply some corrosion protection again, whether Tectyl or other product. Please give me your thoughts. thanks.
Yes, Tectyl. If ever cleaning the underside or underside components I finish off with a light spray of Tectyl. Good stuff when dried off.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:07 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I did that to my 930 a few years ago. Went from an amazingly clean car to a show car in 1 day. Was the best investment I ever made.

Quick Reply: CryoDetail