968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Values - Original vs Modified

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 AM
Sdale944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 968 Values - Original vs Modified

Sitting here in the New Year contemplating the future of my 968. Having already deviated from original, with my M030 clone direction, Quaife LSD, etc my thoughts are turning to the interior. As a Polar Silver example with red painted brake calipers I'd really like to add some red highlights to the interior.....but custom leather interiors are expensive. Before I take the dive for those $$, I'm wondering how these mods will affect the value of the car. I understand the collector car view on original but I'm fascinated by the value of this highly modded 911 on BaT right now:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-911t-8/

Looks like mods to this car to make it a more enjoyable car both in performance and appearance have not trashed the value of the car......any chance these effects would transfer to our 968's? If not, maybe I should transfer the monies into an Audi TTS or RS that already has the colors and modern performance abilities.....just kidding but my practical side has me questioning my hobby investments. Only mention the TT because my road bike fits in the hatch like my 968 vs the Cayman's and 911's.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:08 PM
rggale
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a guy who just spent some serious coin on a really nice, original with slight and reversible mods 968, I think that the mods do not destroy value so long as they are period correct, come from a reputable supplier, and are reversible. In fact, some of the mods on my car (strut brace, techart front splitter, chip) added value to me.

I think that 911s are a breed of their own. There are buyers who are 100% purists, and there are buyers who like slightly modified cars, and then there are the Singer buyers who are buying a car that has the heart and look of a 911 but has had so much plastic surgery and some new organs that cause an identity crisis.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Sdale944
Instructor

Originally Posted by rggale
As a guy who just spent some serious coin on a really nice, original with slight and reversible mods 968, I think that the mods do not destroy value so long as they are period correct, come from a reputable supplier, and are reversible. In fact, some of the mods on my car (strut brace, techart front splitter, chip) added value to me.

I think that 911s are a breed of their own. There are buyers who are 100% purists, and there are buyers who like slightly modified cars, and then there are the Singer buyers who are buying a car that has the heart and look of a 911 but has had so much plastic surgery and some new organs that cause an identity crisis.
Thanks for your thoughts......and your Techart splitter is, I think, unobtainable these days ....so has value in its' own right. I like that look a lot !

Enjoy your 968 it is a special one for sure...
Old 01-02-2018, 06:06 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Well, you know you will get many opinions here. I think it is pretty safe to say that the 968 has moved into the collectors realm, especially with some very strong sales last year. But the car's that went for the highest monies were as close to stock as could be. So, no surprise, my vote is keeping them as close to stock as you can. That said, easily changed mods are fine as long as you keep the originals. And some mods can actually add value. Since the techart spoiler was a period correct update I think that qualifies. And if you found a 968 with CS hardback seats or a set of 18" speedlines would those mods actually add value to the car? I think so. I'm a stock purist. That said, I did the rear seat mod to my cab and the SY coupe sports 17" cup2s instead of the original 16"s.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I've modded many cars over the years. I think the main issue with mods is if you are doing them for no reason, they generally are not money well spent. But if you need to redo something and your car is not a bone stock survivor, then I think anything tasteful that improves the car to you would likely also improve the value. So if I had your car I'd keep minor modding when the chance comes up, that how I treat my 185k miles Cabriolet. But with that car I'm just doing it for me since it has very little value with that many miles.

However, my recently purchased 54k mile coupe looks like it's been in a garage the whole time and is basically a time capsule. I hate the cassette player radio, but I do not plan to touch a thing. I want this car bone stock.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:57 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have modified cars over the years and you never seem to get close to what you have in them when it comes time to sell. I also agree that if you want to mod your car with an effort to hold value, only use period correct parts or options available for that year/car if possible.
I'm just now starting the restoration of my 1994 968. I have decided to keep a few mods that are currently on the car and I feel may increase the value. M030 front and rear sway bars, factory limited slip (added to the car - car did not come with LSD option) 17" Cup 1 wheels. Still contemplating front lowering springs....
Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 PM
Sdale944
Instructor

Thanks for the range of comments on this topic....as expected I can't have it both ways....the other variable is that I want to drive the car....so far 5K miles per year So 95K has grown to 105K miles in my two years of ownership. That point alone will end up destroying the collector value (even though all of the refreshed / new mechanicals will be as capable as any low mileage car) ...so I might as well continue down my path and do the mods I want to provide the most joy in my driving / ownership experience and treat the $$ as hobby costs. The car amazes me at 105K miles that with a fresh valve job plus cleaned and matched injectors that it runs like new....from smooth idle all the way to the redline....and using only a negligible amount oil between changes.

So continue to install my new HighStrung944 control arms and RacersEdge billet hubs to complete my M030 clone project so I can trust it at speed during a few DE's per year and then add my red leather accents to my interior so that I enjoy the aesthetic that I like. If I get tired of the car at some point someone will get a screaming deal on a very well sorted car.....or if that special person is out there somewhere with my exact tastes when it comes time to sell .....maybe the financial impact won't be so bad.....and maybe as the values continue to climb, this might add some trickle down to every nice 968 example? Just started working a few days per week at an Audi / Porsche dealership so that at least the factory parts will finally be more affordable with employee pricing....like the OEM M030 brake rotors which are goofy expensive:-)
Old 01-03-2018, 08:47 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Own the car for yourself and not for the next guy. If modding is your thing and it gives you joy, do it. Consider it as investment into your own joy. I always do things for myself. If that means the next guy can appreciate it, great! If not, oh well.
I have owned and modified some really nice 968's. My cab sold for full ask with tasteful mods. I included all the originals with the sale. My turbo is currently going through a restoration that is already approaching 2 yrs. By the time it's done, it will be the closest 968 turbo S Clone in existence.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Sdale944
Instructor

Originally Posted by RajDatta
Own the car for yourself and not for the next guy. If modding is your thing and it gives you joy, do it. Consider it as investment into your own joy. I always do things for myself. If that means the next guy can appreciate it, great! If not, oh well.
I have owned and modified some really nice 968's. My cab sold for full ask with tasteful mods. I included all the originals with the sale. My turbo is currently going through a restoration that is already approaching 2 yrs. By the time it's done, it will be the closest 968 turbo S Clone in existence.
Thanks Raj....since you gave this car its' great first round of mechanical restoration it is a great platform to build upon. I just have to be careful not to repeat going over the top like I did with my 951.....with $40K invested and selling for $16K ......and for some reason I've developed this Audi TTRS urge which can be bought for about $40K with low mileage.....I think this urge will pass though... as when I drive the 968 like today it is very satisfying.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdale944
Thanks Raj....since you gave this car its' great first round of mechanical restoration it is a great platform to build upon. I just have to be careful not to repeat going over the top like I did with my 951.....with $40K invested and selling for $16K ......and for some reason I've developed this Audi TTRS urge which can be bought for about $40K with low mileage.....I think this urge will pass though... as when I drive the 968 like today it is very satisfying.
When you get the urge and scratch the itch, make sure you contact me about your 968!

Old 01-03-2018, 03:23 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

As I’ve told many customers over the years, IMHO what you drive should make you happy.Even my Tundra does that for me although it’s really a utility.So I agree with Raj; make it for you.That being said, I have a rule.When I modify a car I do so by purchasing aftermarket parts or sourcing donor parts to modify. The replacement parts are installed onto the car and the originals are labeled with the VIN and placed in storage.This way if ever needed, I can reinstall it back onto the car should increasing values or the desire of a new owner dictate such.This can become difficult for those with limited storage space.
With the exception of my track car and its full cage, I also don’t mod in such a way that it can’t be reversed.My track car was way too nice to strip and weld on, but this was done by the PO so I’m content with what it is and the fact that I didn’t ruin a perfectly good street worthy 968.

This decision of how (or even if) to mod can get to extreme and is an individual decision for each of us.I have one friend who is so fanatical about one of his 968s staying original that his A/C is inop, he doesn’t want to pay for R12 and he won’t let me convert it to R134 even though such a conversion could be reversed.He seems to be content to drive it hot…

Sdale944 – PM sent

Cliff
Old 01-03-2018, 03:38 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

SDale, you car is one of the most powerful stock 968's I have ever driven. Some engines are just special. With silver paint, it is a very special car. The nice part is, with values going up, it's much safer to mod them. As stated, if the mods are easily reversible, it's an added bonus.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:35 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Cliff, That amazing 1 of 1 Black/Chestnut M030 coupe comes to mind.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:24 PM
rggale
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sdale944
Sitting here in the New Year contemplating the future of my 968. Having already deviated from original, with my M030 clone direction, Quaife LSD, etc my thoughts are turning to the interior. As a Polar Silver example with red painted brake calipers I'd really like to add some red highlights to the interior.....but custom leather interiors are expensive. Before I take the dive for those $$, I'm wondering how these mods will affect the value of the car. I understand the collector car view on original but I'm fascinated by the value of this highly modded 911 on BaT right now:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-911t-8/

Looks like mods to this car to make it a more enjoyable car both in performance and appearance have not trashed the value of the car......any chance these effects would transfer to our 968's? If not, maybe I should transfer the monies into an Audi TTS or RS that already has the colors and modern performance abilities.....just kidding but my practical side has me questioning my hobby investments. Only mention the TT because my road bike fits in the hatch like my 968 vs the Cayman's and 911's.
Originally Posted by jeff968
Cliff, That amazing 1 of 1 Black/Chestnut M030 coupe comes to mind.
I want that car...so badly!
Old 01-03-2018, 06:25 PM
rggale
Rennlist Member

Also, that '73 911T hot rod just sold for 105k--- big money,

Quick Reply: 968 Values - Original vs Modified