Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum-71/)
-   -   968 Complete Drive Train for Sale Soon (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum/1039887-968-complete-drive-train-for-sale-soon.html)

DemoMan 12-19-2017 11:56 AM

968 Complete Drive Train for Sale Soon

I'm in the final stages of upgrading to an LS1 w/AOR 5 speed transaxle, so very soon I will have the following for sale out of my 1992 968 w/114k miles:

- 968 Motor with all accouterments (incl ECU of course). I had the motor inspected at a local Porsche shop prior to removal:
- Compression: 195, 200, 190, 200
- Broken tooth on exhaust cam
- Pan gasket leaking a little
- Hall sensor plug cracked
- Timing sensor plug cracked
- Timing chain, tensioners, water pump & seals were replaced at 112k right before I purchased it (have receipts)
- Motor ran fine for the 2k miles I drove it after purchase

- Complete exhaust, from the manifolds on back. In very good condition.

- 6-speed transaxle
- no LSD unfortunately
- clutch needs replaced soon
- half-shafts
- torque tube (5-speed requires a different torque tube + half shafts)

I say for sale "soon" because the parts are currently at my mechanic's shop and I won't be able to transport them to my garage until after the New Year. At that point I will take photos and post here as well as eBay, but I wanted Rennlisters to know first.

My strong preference is to sell everything as a package rather than piecemeal. I live in the Greenville, SC area.

OC968 12-19-2017 12:35 PM

Demo do you have a detailed build of your LS1 swap? I am keeping mine stock but I always appreciate a good read.

Thanks

Paul Waterloo 12-20-2017 10:20 AM

Yes...please post details of swap.....lately I've been dreaming about a "restomod" 968 with a LS engine!

What I really dreamed about was putting a Porsche V8 engine in it from a gen 1 Cayenne GTS.....but after reading about it, sounds like too much work and it's too tall.

chudson 12-20-2017 10:36 AM

Price?

RajDatta 12-20-2017 09:09 PM

Might be interested in working out a package deal. Will communicate via pm.

JimV8 12-23-2017 01:32 PM

I put an LS into a 968. I got the idea from seeing a 951 with an LS engine going around Mosport and it was very fast. I encountered several challenges and the ultimately the greatest are the changes in vehicle certification up here which means I'll never get to legally drive it on the street. Because I took 8 years to get almost finished the rules changed 3 times. We sold our house in 2016 and now the car sits in storage waiting for me to build the garage so I can finally fit the wiring harness, the last thing needed to fire it up. I built the engine up to LS6 and also went with the AOR 5 speed. My avatar shows the engine in the car. There are many, many small details that came up in the build. I didn't make any changes to the chassis that would negate making it stock again so thats a still a possibility. But I'm way to busy with other stuff to entertain that right now though.

Sdale944 12-23-2017 08:53 PM

I'd be interested in the torque tube at a fair price.....NC location means I could pick it up .....as it is a monster to ship.

DemoMan 01-16-2018 09:44 AM

OP here. Apologies I'm not familiar with the Rennlist conventions for updating prior posts, so I'm posting this as a reply.

Had a very bad day yesterday. While bringing the 968 motor home from the shop a tie-down let go (it was a friction tie-down and I discovered later the fabric was put in the clamp backward) and the motor fell out of my truck onto the road.

It smashed off sensors and the power steering reservoir and then to add insult I had to drag it off the road for safety, which scraped the intake.

So obviously I'm no longer going to be offering it as a running motor. Instead I will be selling it as a parts motor. And I'll be selling the other stuff (exhaust, 6-speed transaxle w/half-shafts, torque tube) as separate pieces. Those are of course undamaged.

I'll be taking photos later today and will post here and probably eBay tomorrow.

rggale 01-16-2018 10:46 AM

Wow...terrible. So sorry, DemoMan.

odurandina 01-21-2018 02:14 PM

The Cayenne engine is too wide....

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo (Post 14681080)
Yes...please post details of swap.....lately I've been dreaming about a "restomod" 968 with a LS engine!

What I really dreamed about was putting a Porsche V8 engine in it from a gen 1 Cayenne GTS.....but after reading about it, sounds like too much work and it's too tall.

Good thing you never took my car through the Rockies.... You'd be a 968 V8 Supercar addict before you reached Summit County......