Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Great Article on 968 Pressure Plates

This was in the PCA email:

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/con...ogy-automotive

It talks about the different colors, clamping forces and why buying a genuine Porsche pressure plate might result in perfection over buying the Sachs which might have a higher clamping force with the same part number. Talked about many times on this forum, but has all the info in one place in a short article.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:04 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I have only scanned the article so far but indeed, the fact that the 911 PP is (visually) a carbon copy is a problem. The aftermarket has labeled the 911 unit as a "one fits all". I have run both the green and the blue and while there is not a tremendous amount of difference, the difference can still be felt when depressing the clutch pedal. However, if one has properly installed one of the quality reinforcement plates onto a 968 firewall, there really is no other component that would suffer premature failure if a 911 plate were installed (IMHO / FWIW). But the only real reason to have the additional clamping pressure is in a case where the engine is highly modified and making big HP. I just installed a clutch in my track car last weekend - stayed with the green stripe.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Thank you for posting this very helpful and informative link, which I think many 968 owners could benefit from reading.. I have tried a handful of 968's and somehow they all had quite a difference in clutch feel and pressure required. A few of them were really bad with a heavy, noisy and un-smooth action which really puts a dent in driving pleasure.

My own 968 on the other hand, has a beautifully light smooth clutch action with a perfect biting point, and it really adds to the enjoyment of driving my car, so I assume it has an original pressure plate. And when time comes to replace it, I'll make sure it receives another original Porsche item.

Alex.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:22 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Motosport
Thank you for posting this very helpful and informative link, which I think many 968 owners could benefit from reading.. I have tried a handful of 968's and somehow they all had quite a difference in clutch feel and pressure required. A few of them were really bad with a heavy, noisy and un-smooth action which really puts a dent in driving pleasure.
Absolutely. And if the vehicle has all its original parts that rough feel / excessive resistance is most often caused by wear in the release bearing fork needle bearings and pivot pin. The pin becomes notched (now wish I had taken a pic of the one I tossed in the trash last weekend) which causes the majority of the resistance. I have performed several "preventative" clutch replacements where the original pressure plates and flywheels were reused but the disc, release bearing, pilot bearing, fork bearings and pivot pin were all replaced. Every time the clutch pedal goes from noticeable resistance to that smooth butter (Raj's words IIRC) feel.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:15 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
This was in the PCA email:

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/con...ogy-automotive

It talks about the different colors, clamping forces and why buying a genuine Porsche pressure plate might result in perfection over buying the Sachs which might have a higher clamping force with the same part number. Talked about many times on this forum, but has all the info in one place in a short article.
Thanks for sharing Paul. I will be needing a new clutch soon for my restoration project.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:08 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Nice info indeed. Was just asking Jason at Paragon a week ago about this very subject. Throw out bearing part # is duplicate of pressure plate in article. Porsche also has kit that reduces priced a little over buying individually. 968-116-911-00
Old 11-30-2017, 09:31 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

A no brainer imo. Buy the right part day 1 and there will never be issues.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:24 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice article. Reinforces the difference between OE parts and OEM parts...

Cheers,
Mike

Quick Reply: Great Article on 968 Pressure Plates