968 Forum 1992-1995

Door Opening too Wide

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 10:20 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Door Opening too Wide

My 968's driver's door seems to be opening too wide, so much so that a small section of paint is being scuffed off by the panel immediately in front of the door. The scuff mark is on the front bottom corner of the door. Is there some kind of stopper inside the door that is connected to the door check that can be adjusted or should I just try to replace the door check? If anyone knows about a thread that contains instructions on how to go about this please post it as I can't find any. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:50 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Still need help with this please.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:02 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Karrera Coupe, would you be able to post a few photos to show what you’re seeing?
The scrape, how wide the door opens, etc? That might help people to compare and understand the issue better.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:08 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Karrera Coupe
Still need help with this please.
Sounds like your door stay or "check" is broken or busted through the door sheet metal. You can get these used all over ebay if the door stay is broken. If the door stay has collapsed the door sheet metal check this link out as they make a bolt in or weld in repair piece.

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...8#.WotmCVrwYWc

As Spokyman said, open the door up and take a picture of the hinge area/door stay area to tell for sure.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:09 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much so far Spokayman and jsheiry. I will take some photos in the next few days and then post them here for your assessment.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

you could probably hit the pin mount with the titanic and not harm it. pretty substantial.

most check straps have a rubber buffer inside the door. rubber rots after a couple decades

944 537 609 00 is about 35 bucks.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:44 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Default Photos for my driver's door that seems to be opening too wide.

The scuff mark on the door caused by the door opening too wide.

There is a scuff mark, i.e. paint damage, where the lower front corner of the door meets the front left quarter body panel.

When opened to it maximum the door panel touches the front left quarter body panel's edge. In other words the gap closes too much.

There is some additional movement after the door opened to what seems to be its designed maximum opening angle.

The lower of the two bolts that fixes the door check to the body does not tighten completely. But the door check does not seem to lift away from the body. The tight top bolt seems to hold the door check secure enough. I replaced the non tightening bolt but there is likely a problem with the thread on the 'nut' that is in the body, i.e. on the car side. I don't see any way in which to access the nut.

I think there may be play in the "connection" between the door check and the door, inside the door cavity.

I think there may be play in the "fastener or connection" between the door check and the door on the inside of the door cavity.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:56 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/au...omponents-scat

edit ....this is a complete kit which would be the route I would go.

http://944online.com/index.php/door-check-kit.html

Last edited by thomasmryan; 02-22-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:37 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Karrera, does your driver side door actually open wider than the passenger side? I can't tell from your photos whether your door is opening wider than it should. You could probably measure the angle or opening dimensions on each side and compare.
If the door seems to be opening about the same amount than the passenger side does then there might be an alignment problem with the door or front fender. I don't see any obvious damage to the door where the door stay bracket attaches, or anything else damaged either so I don't know what to suggest next.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:11 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

I would agree on panel adjustment but the speaker install makes me curious...as well as the added 'stone guard' strip. You could loosen the rear two fender mounts but I don't believe that is the issue.

Looking at the expansion joint in the pavement, the door looks 80 degrees or so from perpendicular. Mine open and stop about 70*
Old 02-28-2018, 11:24 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Thanks very much guys. This weekend I will have a look at whether there is a measurable difference in the opening angles between the two doors. Thomasmryan what is it about the speaker install that attracted your notice? Is it not a standard installation?
Old 03-01-2018, 05:25 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

just wondering if the speaker basket interfered with the check strap/stay.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:12 AM
Werrea
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hijacking a thread but what size is the bolt head to tighten the door check to the body? I went through my star fittings but appears I don’t have the right set.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:31 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Werrea
Hijacking a thread but what size is the bolt head to tighten the door check to the body? I went through my star fittings but appears I don’t have the right set.
I don’t think it is a star fitting. My triple square M6 bit fits my door bolts very well. These triple square bits are 12 pointed and fairly commonly required for VWs, Audis and Porsches of that era. Hope that answers your question.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:41 PM
Werrea
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Karrera Coupe
I don’t think it is a star fitting. My triple square M6 bit fits my door bolts very well. These triple square bits are 12 pointed and fairly commonly required for VWs, Audis and Porsches of that era. Hope that answers your question.
Thank you!!! Ordered a set.

Quick Reply: Door Opening too Wide