Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Rear interior panel out - speaker replacement, sunroof drain fix..

Old 11-23-2017, 05:27 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Rear interior panel out - speaker replacement, sunroof drain fix..

How nerve-wracking this was. Managed to do it with zero damage to the panel. Easier than my 924S though, that's for sure. I've never even attempted that one, since the window must come out.

I'm especially thankful today that I did not damage the panel.

Since my sunroof drain tube appears to be wonky (causing a damp seatbelt on that side) I suppose I'll check it out at the same time...
but.. where is it?

Old 11-23-2017, 06:27 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Ok.. so before anyone says to take out the top panel just in front of the hatch.. I've already done that too...and I'm reaalllyy reluctant to peel away the vinyl underneath that as well.

But now I'm doubting that the dampness on the seat belt is caused the the sunroof drain tube, since dampness can be felt on the pillar above the seat belt.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:35 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

The sunroof drain tube is in the C pillar and runs down into the smuggler's pocket (between wheel well and taillight).
It is possible that the drain tube is disconnected at the sunroof.
Try pouring a little water into the sunroof channel with the sunroof removed to see if you can trace any moisture or wetness.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:48 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
The sunroof drain tube is in the C pillar and runs down into the smuggler's pocket (between wheel well and taillight).
It is possible that the drain tube is disconnected at the sunroof.
Try pouring a little water into the sunroof channel with the sunroof removed to see if you can trace any moisture or wetness.
One of the tech question people on the PCA website suggested that tube...the reason I went digging into it.

I'll do that, but how would it explain wetness around here? Shown in red.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:34 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Explore around the sunroof channels. If the drain tubes were clogged then the channel could fill up with water and drain out anywhere.
You might have to pull back a little of the headliner to look at the area above the red mark.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Do you have to take that panel off and the window to remove the seat belt mechanism?
Old 11-24-2017, 01:03 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Do you have to take that panel off and the window to remove the seat belt mechanism?
I don't think so... I got the panel most of the way off, then unbolted the seat belt from the pillar and the floor mount. Then I slid the outer sleeve off the end near the floor mount. After removing that sleeve, It was fairly easy to slide the rest of it through the hole in the panel.
To remove the mechanism behind the panel, yes you would have to....

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
Explore around the sunroof channels. If the drain tubes were clogged then the channel could fill up with water and drain out anywhere.
You might have to pull back a little of the headliner to look at the area above the red mark.

Drain tube flows freely and quickly. Poured water in the channel, went right now no problem. Didn't back up, and no wetness anywhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear interior panel out - speaker replacement, sunroof drain fix..