968 Forum 1992-1995

Wheel color suggestions for a slate gray track car with red calipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Wheel color suggestions for a slate gray track car with red calipers

I don't think I've ever asked a question like this before - I'm much more inclined to inquire about mechanical things or ways to improve the car's performance in some way, but in the interest of keeping up with the faster cars at the track, I'm in the process of upgrading to a set of 17 x 10.5" BBS E26 3-piece wheels at all four corners that I'm having assembled by Bob Woodman Tires. Yes, they will fit. As part of the deal, they will paint the wheels any color I want. I've never had anything but silver wheels, but a friend (and friendly competitor) of mine suggests I go with something more bold, seeing as it is a track car. So, I researched it, and came across this (see post # 15 in the thread below):

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ions-pics.html

I don't even know what I'd call the color of the wheels in post 15 - some sort of an off red - but I like it. My only concern is whether they will clash with my red calipers. Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2017, 10:51 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Looks good to me. Those have been anodized red then clear coated I think.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

I'd definitely look at the Platinum Satin finish. Subtle and classy.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess they are calling that cherry red. I think I'd like a more traditional red better. Maybe make sure the red is a shade or two darker than your calibers. The worst thing about painted wheels, even powder coated, etc are the paint chips.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
I'd definitely look at the Platinum Satin finish. Subtle and classy.
Jay,

Not sure if it was by accident or by design, but when I click on the words Platinum Satin Finish (which show up as a link) in your post, it sends me to a web site for Christmas decorations. Anyway, subtle is not what I'm going for - this is a track car.

I also like this, and I don't think it would clash with my calipers as much, but it looks like a complex color to create:

http://www.forgeline.com/products/ac...nt-copper.html
Old 11-19-2017, 10:19 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Weird...I posted no link in my previous reply.

Anywho...track car - missed that part. Slate Gray car...since gray is a neutral color, you can use any coordinating color that compliments the calipers. Only brake pad dust will be a factor here IMHO.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:38 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Blue

what about Riviera Blue?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

I think if you also paint the wheels slate gray they will look good! i had a 911 like this.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Wet Black
Old 11-20-2017, 10:45 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Take a look at the wheels of Singer 911 cars. I vote for a red, blue or green.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:38 PM
OzJustin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a slate grey S2 and I like the pale green colour the Singer cars use. It's something a bit different but still period correct. It would be a nice contrast to red calipers too.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:38 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the responses - this is somewhat uncharted territory for a terminally left-brained person like myself. Here are the wheels I'm planning to get, in 17 x 10.5" all around, through Bob Woodman Tires:

https://www.google.com/search?q=BBS+...0Mm5BRNv6JzSM:

I sure wish I knew how to post a picture directly into a post, as opposed to a link to a picture. If someone who could educate me, and/or post the pictures I'm posting links to in a response, I'd really appreciate it.

Anyway, I'm somewhat obsessed with how the color I choose will look with my red, 944 Turbo S (read very large) calipers. Maybe I'm making too much of this, but it seems to me that a bright, "extroverted" color like red, orange, or a vivid blue like this one would be too much with my red calipers:

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/gal...ic-Misty-Blue/

So, I'm wondering about something like this:

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-1408381...4-offset-7.gif

Sill unique enough to provide a little "pop", but like the pale green on the Singer car, it would be a nice contrast with my calipers. What do you guys think of this bronze? Thanks.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

It's pretty easy to link a picture with code....that's how I do it. You need the "img" tags (remember IMAGE) and you need to tell it to start the address for the image and end the address. You need to put those tags in the following "[ the letters IMG ]". That starts it, and at the end you add the "/" before "IMG". It doesn't matter if they are lower case or upper case.

Once you know the location of the picture on the web, copy that location. In your last example in your post above, if you click on it, and grab the location in the web address bar, or if you find a picture on the web (can't be in a google search, if it is there, click on "view image", then right click on the image and choose "properties" to get the web address or in FireFox it's "copy image location", so now you have the web address of the image. Now for making the code:

Name:  fwqsiFV.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  9.7 KB

I had to take a screen shot of the above prior to previewing it or posting it so you can see the code.....and then preview the post to make sure you have it right. The other way to do it is to know the web address and hit the picture icon in the posting dialog box above. It will make the code for you. Or you can save the image to your computer and then attach it with the paperclip icon. But I do the actual code myself.....you basically need the image web address and then the simple IMG code on the front and the back and you have the following:

Old 11-23-2017, 01:20 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Paul! You've changed my life forever .

So, what do you guys think of this bronze color, on these wheels:

Getting rid of the duplicate picture...

Last edited by Cloud9...68; 11-23-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:36 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Well, I must be doing something wrong, because I tried pasting the URL of the BBS wheels I'm interested in, using every combination imaginable with and without the brackets around the "img", and it didn't work. After a lot of fumbling around, I managed to unintentionally post the image of the wheel in with the bronze color (the same one Paul posted). Is it possible I don't have some required privelege to do this? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Wheel color suggestions for a slate gray track car with red calipers