Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

4 wires to door speaker? Whuut?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:33 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 4 wires to door speaker? Whuut?

I decided today that I would start investigating speaker replacement for the door speakers.
I had decided on a pair of Focal ISS130 speakers. They almost fit, but the mounting holes don't line up close enough, and the basket is slightly too large. Oh well... I'm not going to chop up the original speaker mount, so I may look for some used ones.

Removing the speaker pod, I found this...

Why four wires to the door speakers? (Not a 10-speaker system) I've only ever seen this on speakers with dual voice coils...
I'm assuming the large black cylinder (partly pictured) that the wires run into is a crossover of some sort, due to the upper door tweeters...

Old 11-18-2017, 09:47 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts

You are correct, the two extra wires run up to the top speakers.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:49 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Anyone find a replacement tweeter for the top speaker that fits nicely without lots of mods to door panel? Does not need to be serious Hifi just a quality replacement. Or do most just put in a high quality lower two way speaker and leave upper tweeter disconnected?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Nathan J.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WolfeMacleod,

The speaker system in your car (same as my car ) is very simple. They chose to use the connections at the woofer itself as the place to tap off the signal for the tweeter, with two of the wires coming in with the signal from the head unit and two of the wires going out to the tweeter. The black cylinder in your picture is the capacitor (inside shrink tubing) that is strung inline with the wires that go to the tweeter. Between this capacitor, and the resistance in the speaker itself, this forms the simple RC crossover for limiting the low frequency into the tweeter. I replaced the woofers with Infinity Kappa series duals, and left the existing tweeters in place. I also replaced the rear speakers with Infinity dual speakers, so I now have a 10 speaker system This seemed to work pretty well for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 wires to door speaker? Whuut?