Batwing Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:36 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Batwing Question

I helped my buddy find a 968. It is a tip, so his girlfriend is happy. We still track the 944S.

The car is missing the batwing. Who has one for sale, and is it necessary? I know I read years ago that it aids in cooling on the S2.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:41 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I helped my buddy find a 968. It is a tip, so his girlfriend is happy. We still track the 944S.

The car is missing the batwing. Who has one for sale, and is it necessary? I know I read years ago that it aids in cooling on the S2.
Yes, it is a big aid. In normal street driving it is possible for a 968 to survive without it. But the fans will run more often and the operating temp at highway speed may be increased.

I've tracked a 968 both with and without it and when your engine operating temps are a max it's imperative to get all the air flow that you can through the radiator.

The majority of the air flow entering the nose comes in through the opening in the bottom of the front bumper and the majority of the surface area of A/C condenser and radiator are above this opening. With no batwing to force the air through the radiator, the air takes the easiest path of resistance (directly out the bottom of the car) and very little air flow makes it to the radiator. The radiator fans kept the car that had no batwing within operational range, but as stated earlier the fans had to run more often and the addition of the batwing lowered the operating temperature noticeably.

I realize that you won't be tracking this Tip, but I would definitely reinstall a batwing.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:31 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

He found one new from a dealer for 225 shipped, so its going on when it gets here. Now we can figure out/work on the 944S clutch.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:00 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
He found one new from a dealer for 225 shipped, so its going on when it gets here. Now we can figure out/work on the 944S clutch.
Take a look at this hardware kit from Arnworx. Everything you will need to attach the batwing.

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...1#.WbKGKfOGOM8
Old 09-24-2017, 03:01 AM
K1W1
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran my cab without the batwing for the last year. No extra fan work or apparent change on temp gauge. Sourced a secondhand replacement from 944 online for 100, have fitted it and all seems exactly the same. Looks better tho ( from a rather temperate land I would add).

Quick Reply: Batwing Question