968 Forum 1992-1995

Trouble with buyers

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 01:21 PM
shelby987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with buyers

I have my 968 posted for sale locally, there is a guy in my neighborhood who has come by half a dozen times over the years to ask if the car is for sale....well, my answer to him was finally, "yes...it is for sale." He asked twice, once before I had cleaned it up, and made some necessary tune-ups and repairs from coming out of storage, and once after. I originally told him it would be cheaper if he bought it before I put any time into it this year...he said he wanted it ready to go....no problem.

Last week he stops by, asks if it is ready to go, I told him it was, and I had it posted for sale. He sat in my driveway for 2 hours, discussing the car, asking me questions (the whole time, telling me he had a place to be). Our conversation finally came to a close with him making me an offer, I counter offered, he said "I can do that, let me think about it!"

Have you ever had someone make an offer, agree to a price, and THEN tell you they had to think about it? This guy has wasted 4 hours of my life, strolling down memory lane with this car, makes an offer, then tells me he has to think about it! I am always polite and courteous to anyone who comes to look at anything I am selling, but I think that won't be the case the next time he strolls into my driveway!
Old 08-28-2017, 02:12 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

I think we all have tales like this to share from selling things. I know I have many. Thank goodness we have the internet/cell phones to at least cut down on being stood up so many times after hearing " I absolutely want it and will be there in an hour".

My favorite was years ago when I sold one of my cars. Back and forth with a buyer, pictures, the entire deal, and we agree to a price. He says he will PayPal me a deposit. A day goes by and nothing. Someone else comes along and wants to buy the car. I send the buyer #1 an email, call his cell, everything, no word, no response. I tell the second guy if I don't hear back from buyer #1 by the end of the day and buyer #2 paypals a deposit the car is his. The next morning my paypal account has a deposit from buyer #2. Then finally I hear from buyer #1, says he got busy, couldn't make the deposit or return calls or emails, but he says he still wants the car. I tell him sorry, he missed out and is now too late. He gets very upset saying the car is his. He even has his Lawyer call me! He finally went away but I'll tell you. Selling cars can be fun.

Just remember, talk is talk, but only a deposit makes it real
Old 08-28-2017, 05:20 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

You want stories??? You should be in the business. WOW do I have stories.

So after 40+ years of selling cars, here's where I am now. I will not accept a deposit from anyone - period. A deposit creates a situation where a commitment has been made to NOT sell the car to another. When someone offers a deposit, my response is:

"I don't take deposits, but I do take commitments. All I need is your commitment that you are purchasing the car and when."

Then we agree on the day and time that I expect them to return to purchase and it HAS to be reasonable meaning, a day or 2 at the most. And I warn them that literally 5 minutes after the commitment time has elapsed, the car is the property of anyone else here willing to purchase.

With todays ability to communicate there is no reason, other than some unforeseen disaster, that one cannot stay in touch when a problem or delay arises. If I feel that the buyer is doing their due diligence or I'm selling a car that has stayed around too long, then I have no problem extending the time. If it's a car that several people are asking to purchase then the next in line is called.

I get the part about "helping" someone purchase a car and I've done that countless times over the years. But if you have to "help" someone buy a Porsche, they are purchasing the wrong car.

And Shelby, if someone told me that "They can do that" but then states that they have to think about it, I would have immediately ask for clarification. The statement is obviously contradictory. Sounds like a tire kicker...
Old 08-28-2017, 06:38 PM
shelby987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chudson, I have chalked that buyer up to a dreamer, he never had any intention of buying and by the point he went all "let me think about it" he was rambling about a sign from god, and the heavens opening up. I was done, the best way for me to keep it civil was to avoid any further conversation.....I have all the time in the world for people with cash in their pockets and a legitimate interest in what I am selling. I have zero time for people who just want to waste my time and walk down memory lane.

I would love to hear some more selling / buying stories from others though, nice to know I am not alone.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh - I've got a fresh story as a buyer. Found a 968 in NC for sale. Talked to the seller and we agreed on his asking price. I arranged for him to take the car to a friend of mine and he would complete the deal for me and pay the money.

My friend calls me and informs me that the seller does not have clear title in his name - it is in the previous owner's name and not signed off on the back.

The seller informs me he is going to get that straightened out and we'll complete the deal. He calls me back two days later and says he has the title issue straightened out but another party is interested for $500 more. I said if that is all the more your word is worth that is pretty sad. I really wanted the car but that was too much of a sign for me at least that the deal wasn't right.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:38 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B
Ugh - I've got a fresh story as a buyer. Found a 968 in NC for sale. Talked to the seller and we agreed on his asking price. I arranged for him to take the car to a friend of mine and he would complete the deal for me and pay the money.

My friend calls me and informs me that the seller does not have clear title in his name - it is in the previous owner's name and not signed off on the back.

The seller informs me he is going to get that straightened out and we'll complete the deal. He calls me back two days later and says he has the title issue straightened out but another party is interested for $500 more. I said if that is all the more your word is worth that is pretty sad. I really wanted the car but that was too much of a sign for me at least that the deal wasn't right.
Too bad Josh. Do you know how he "straightened out" the title issue? Would you have accepted a titled signed by someone else?
Old 09-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Too bad Josh. Do you know how he "straightened out" the title issue? Would you have accepted a titled signed by someone else?
Hey Jeff - we didn't get that far into the conversation since he raised the asking price on me. I've bought and sold more than my fair share of 944s and 968 - would be glad to talk with you about that anytime. I'll PM you my number.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:14 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B
I've bought and sold more than my fair share of 944s and 968
Ya think?? You may be the Guinness book record holder...

Quick Reply: Trouble with buyers