Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

FS Porsche 968 Turbo. Professionally built by HMR.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 04:05 PM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FS Porsche 968 Turbo. Professionally built by HMR.

Year: 1993
Make: Porsche
Model: Turbo by Heritage Motorcar Research in St Petersburg FL
Cont. Porsche Models: 968
Mileage (numbers only please): 5000
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Antilock Brakes, Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Sunroof, Traction Control
Color: Polar Silver
VIN: WP0AA2968PS820197
Price (no $ sign please): $128,000 OBO
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): SouthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Turbo
Stereo System: AM-FM Stereo

Totally restored and renovated Porsche 968. Cost to reproduce today exceeds $250,000, which is the frequently reported cost for a "done right" build. Save yourself over $100,000 and many years; available right now. I am offering mine for the above price, OBO. All mechanical work professionally executed by award winning Jason Lee, proprietor Heritage Motorcar Research (HMR) in St. Petersburg, FL. All body work and paint by award winning Jason Hiler. You are not going to find a better team. Less than 5K miles since down to the bare body rebuild, including blueprinting the engine. Mechanical upgrades to match the best of the best Porsche technology today. Many parts from factory 968 Turbo, others professionally engineered and improved via custom CNC fabricated including radiator, Exhaust, Turbo.16V head. Motec M400 ECU with digital dash display and adjustable boost allowing HP to be set between 350 and 525. Big red calipers on front, all calipers red.

Featured in the June 2012 (Part 1) and August 2012 (Part 2), 9 Magazine; described by the magazine editor as the most well balanced and awesome street legal Porsche in his experience. A PDF of the two "9 Magazine" articles featuring this Porsche 968 HMR Turbo at https://goo.gl/MNeK2K

Six years for restoration/renovation, completed in 2012, nothing overlooked. All records available. The navy blue interior is original, except for the $4K professionally installed audio system, original radio included not-installed with purchase if desired. Less than 5K miles since upgrades. I purchased the 1993 Porsche 968 from Brumos in Jacksonville FL in 1994. Always garaged, and professionally maintained. Looks brand new.

Also listed at ClassicCars

Last edited by grants_968; 02-15-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:13 PM
grants_968
Racer

Some images of my 968 Turbo by HMR
Attached Images       
Old 08-25-2017, 04:22 PM
grants_968
Racer

Because the 968 forum has several trolls, posting immature comments, I deleted an earlier notice of my 968 HMR Turbo for sale. Therefore, I am posting this message from the moderator. I am leaving this thread open until proven that warnings by the moderator are being ignored.

Unless there is verifiable misrepresentation, posting negative and irrelevant comments in another member's For Sale thread is impolite and not tolerated on Rennlist.

Unnecessary comments will be deleted. Serial offenders will lose their posting privileges and/or infractions will be given.

Last edited by grants_968; 08-25-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:36 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Does a Bespoke machine like this with 500+ HP use the same timing and balance shaft belts that a 200+ HP 968 uses?

Good luck with your sale.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:59 AM
grants_968
Racer

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Does a Bespoke machine like this with 500+ HP use the same timing and balance shaft belts that a 200+ HP 968 uses?

Chains and belts the same. Balance shafts "blueprinted" as rest of engine to tolerances greater than mass production specification. IMO, the best thing to do with the older 968 engines is to have a competent machine shop like HMR "blueprint" the engine.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:09 PM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

IMO, the best thing to do with the older 968 engines is to have a competent machine shop like HMR "blueprint" the engine.
Thank you for your recommendation of HMR. I assume, you mean Heritage Motorcar Research Inc. and not Heritage Motorcar Restoration LLC. (Your link may need updating).

How did they deal with or minimized turbo lag? I assume, compression was lowered to avoid engine knocking. (Hope this is OK to ask!)

Thanks

MN
Old 08-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by grants_968
Chains and belts the same. Balance shafts "blueprinted" as rest of engine to tolerances greater than mass production specification. IMO, the best thing to do with the older 968 engines is to have a competent machine shop like HMR "blueprint" the engine.
I'm assuming that would lead to a much smoother running engine. What are other benefits?
Old 08-26-2017, 03:34 PM
grants_968
Racer

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
I'm assuming that would lead to a much smoother running engine. What are other benefits?
Smoother, less friction, more power, greater reliability. I was throughout interested in great reliability, safety, as well as power. Also, for me because I sold my OEM 968 pistons and switched to Mahle Turbo 968, that and other engine work required new balancing

Jason Lee also installed several additional oil nozzles on parts known to fail for lack of oil. And ridges in the engine base to capture the oil if "high g's" when racing, analogous to a dry sump. I don't race, but do track non competitively upon occasion. Part of my obsession with reliability/longevity.

FYI see http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/...prod/prd84.htm

Last edited by grants_968; 08-26-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:47 PM
grants_968
Racer

Originally Posted by MN
Thank you for your recommendation of HMR. I assume, you mean Heritage Motorcar Research Inc. and not Heritage Motorcar Restoration LLC. (Your link may need updating).

How did they deal with or minimized turbo lag? I assume, compression was lowered to avoid engine knocking. (Hope this is OK to ask!)

Thanks

MN
Heritage Motorcar RESEARCH

http://www.heritagemotorcar.com
Old 08-26-2017, 05:04 PM
grants_968
Racer

Originally Posted by MN

Thanks
MN
  • I believe the no lag is the result of multiple things.
  • Balanced Engine / blueprinted
  • Motec vs OEM Motronic (greater programmability etc) but, way expensive
  • HMR Custom Turbo spooler
  • Etc etc etc
  • Turbo away for the day. Planning on driving the black 968 cab tomorrow. Will take a few Picts close up.

BTW, other than windshield wipers, and checking fluids and tire air before each drive, I never do my own work on my 968. I do not claim to be an Ace 968 Mechanic. I have torn sports cars down, then rebuilt. First was a Mini Cooper, second was a Triumph TR-3. Then I purchased a VW Westphalia, and did a lot of work on that on the road in Canadian winters. Wife and I agreed that my objective should be to make enough money not to have to do that any more. And I have. It was great working with Jason Lee at HMR. I would say the Turbo modification needs XYZ; or he would say similar to me. We would discuss, and it would get done - right.

Still, mechanics is fun. I do all my own work on three Harley's; got the stable recently down to three from five.

Last edited by grants_968; 08-26-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:39 AM
grants_968
Racer

Originally Posted by MN
Heritage Motorcar Research aka HMR
Old 08-28-2017, 05:42 AM
grants_968
Racer

Originally Posted by jsheiry
...a Bespoke machine ...

Thank you.
Note, I am flexible on the price.
OBO => Or best offer
Old 08-28-2017, 05:56 AM
grants_968
Racer

Originally Posted by MN

How did they deal with or minimized turbo lag? I assume, compression was lowered to avoid engine knocking.

Thanks

MN
Much of Jason Lee's 968 build deals with his proprietary design and technology. For example, the radiator with no plastic ready to crack or explode as referenced in the article is his design. The first radiator afaik, was built by one of his friends that is big in F1 radiator builds. Jason has sold a lot of replacement radiators.

Regarding compression, he used Mahle Turbo pistons; I sold my N/A set to a 928 owner/builder.

Last edited by grants_968; 09-02-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:38 AM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no lag ... proprietary design and technology
Every turbocharged motor has turbo lag, it’s simple physics. The question is rather whether, and if, how noticeable.

Doubling the power of the naturally aspirated engine with a single, non-variable geometry turbocharger, and NO (noticeable) turbo lag!

But for a race (track) car this wouldn’t matter, perhaps you should try to sell it as such? (Just trying to be helpful.)

Last edited by MN; 08-29-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:53 AM
grants_968
Racer

Originally Posted by MN
Every turbocharged motor has turbo lag, it’s simple physics. The question is rather whether, and if, how noticeable.

Doubling the power of the naturally aspirated engine with a single, non-variable geometry turbocharger, and NO (noticeable) turbo lag!

But for a race (track) car this wouldn’t matter, perhaps you should try to sell it as such? (Just trying to be helpful.)
You are correct. If it was being raced, RPMs would remain high, the Turbo would not spool down. Under non race conditions, RPMs dropped quickly because of the new light weight fly wheel; which frankly was annoying when driving in stop and go urban traffic. The Motec corrected for this.

Turbo Lag is not noticible. I should have mentioned a contributor to "no" Turbo Lag is the light weight fly wheel.

Quick Reply: FS Porsche 968 Turbo. Professionally built by HMR.