Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Just got one!..... anyone Speak German??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 02:48 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Just got one!..... anyone Speak German??

Hi All, I just rescued (I think) a 968. been reading the forums for a while and am pretty good with all things mechanical, But until you actually get your hands into something its all just talk...
So here goes nothing

This car has 160k on it, and the PO was the 5th owner he thinks.
Car was a bit rough, but with a little elbow grease might turn out decent.

He said he hadn't started it in over a year. So I pulled the plugs and the timing belt cover, everything looked ok.

But when we finally got it started there was a fairly loud metallic clacking. which was a bit disturbing. My first thought was it sounded like the cam chain slapping against the valve cover. it seemed to get faster with revs up to a point, then leveled out.
It sounded ok on the exhaust side and aside from the metallic clacking reved ok

So I wasn't able to drive it, figured I would change the belt first.

Heres the other thing... This is an american car...That was shipped TO germany. (and then shipped back, All the owners were military) There are several records, but they are all in german!!, which is greek to me

Can anyone tell me what somethings might be called so I can look for them in the receipts?
such as, Chain tensioner pads, Clutch, Timing belt, pinion bearing, and anything else that might be important?

Ima need a tall glass of Brawndo!

thanks for any input!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:02 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Ketten-Spann-Pads, Kupplung, Timing-Gürtel, Ritzel

google translate of the parts in your sentence
Old 08-18-2017, 08:19 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If my car sits for over a month the lifters will make a loud metallic sound when I crank it. Almost sounds like a rod knocking. After idling for a few minutes and the car heats up the noise goes away. If I crank it every couple of weeks I don't hear the noise. This could possibly be your problem if the car has set for a period.

Last edited by Charlie; 08-18-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:14 AM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

Picture of car?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:09 PM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

will get some pics shortly, where can you get the body seals cheap, such a the ones on the side skirts and the rear bumper?

also does any one make letters that fill in the "porsche" between the tail lights?

one thing i will need soon is the door pockets under the arm rests, as the PO put these awful speaker boxes in place that run the full length of the door :-(
Old 08-18-2017, 06:14 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

You can get the rocker seals at the dealers. Not really seals, more like filler strips. They will shrink up in a couple of years. If you take the rocker panels off, which you need to do to replace the seals, buy extra clips cause some will break.

Are you looking for letters to go into the recessed "Porsche" on the rear of the car? They didn't come with anything like that and it'll hurt the value to stick something in there.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:21 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Not_Sure
will get some pics shortly, where can you get the body seals cheap, such a the ones on the side skirts and the rear bumper? also does any one make letters that fill in the "porsche" between the tail lights? one thing i will need soon is the door pockets under the arm rests, as the PO put these awful speaker boxes in place that run the full length of the door :-(
Cheap and Porsche dont go together in the same sentence often...

I find Sonnen to have the Best Porsche dealer only items. Nobody else comes close IMO

I would give your local dealer the chance to match their price and establish a local relationship. I tried that myself but 2 different local dealers nearly laughed at me so I now buy from Sonnen with a clear conscious. Im a small business and often have to match Amazon...wish it never came up but it does and I would rather make something than Nothing
Old 08-19-2017, 03:55 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny that you posted here - I got a google alert for the car you picked up but it had already been deleted by the time I clicked on it and was curious what it was.

Here's a photo of a guy in Southern California with painted letters...have seen a few others around the web but don't have any saved.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:02 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple more

Old 08-20-2017, 02:31 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

thanks for those pics I actually think that looks good

Quick Reply: Just got one!..... anyone Speak German??