968 Forum 1992-1995

DIY - Installing a Child's Car Seat Tether Anchor in a 968

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 02:29 AM
Daniel S
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DIY - Installing a Child's Car Seat Tether Anchor in a 968

For those of us who still have children who are not only small enough to fit in the back seats, but who are still required, by law, to be in a car seat, this may be useful.
DIY- Installing Tether Anchor in the968/951/944/924
One of the little known features, at least here in the US, is the ability to install a tether anchor without drilling into the body. Canadian and ROW 968s were delivered with a tether anchor, but by now they are all probably all gone. For those of us with small children, this helps make any 968 drive one for the family.
If you, like me, do not like tethering the car seat to the rear of the hatch area, where it provides a long lever arm and lets the car seat move around more than you would like:

Then you need to take advantage of the in car threaded insert for a tether anchor. First, youwill need a tether anchor:

I ordered mine from an Australian vendor off of ebay.
First, lift up the hatch carpet and locate the circular cover in the rubber liner:

Once you remove the cover, you can see the threaded insert.

There is a line on the backside of the carpet that you can cut and flip the up the resulting flap. I just cut a slot in the carpet to thread the bolt through.Thread the bolt through a washer and the anchor and insert it into the hole, hand tightening. Use a ½” socket to tighten it.
The installed tether anchor looks like:
Close Up:

In relation to the seat back:

With a car seat installed:

The installed car seat now has a shorter length and when fully tightened helps to limit the car seat’s movement.
In full disclosure, I first learned about this on the 928forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/578238-10-modern-child-car-seat-for-the-928-sunshine-kids-radian65sl.html
So, thanks to the folks over there for documenting it for the 928s. I did not see an equivalent one for 968s, so this is to document it for 968 owners.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks for that, just had a boy a week ago so this is good info!!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Daniel S
Rennlist Member

Congratulations! Hope everyone is doing well and you are enjoying it.

You probably have to wait until he is 2 and forward to have him in the 968, unless it is just the two of you. A rear facing car seat will just take up too much room.

And the other trick is to use the lock off for the car seat, but you can't get it as close to the latch side as you would like, because of the odd relative angle of the seat belt pass through and the latch. But just keep working at it and you will eventually get it to work.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:03 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info! Two notes though for preserving the car. I personally would never cut the hatch carpet. I'd either remove the hatch carpet entirely or roll the front portion of the carpet back where there is no foam backing. Also that piece of foam/sound deadening behind the rear seat is barely glued down if at all in my experience. It easily lifts out and can be stored flat.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Daniel S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
Good info! Two notes though for preserving the car. I personally would never cut the hatch carpet. I'd either remove the hatch carpet entirely or roll the front portion of the carpet back where there is no foam backing. Also that piece of foam/sound deadening behind the rear seat is barely glued down if at all in my experience. It easily lifts out and can be stored flat.
Good points. I thought about those, but decided that I wanted the carpet for protection of the painted metal surface and the rubber liner up front which covers a rubber line of some sort. I also was not crazy about a permanent set in the carpet from keeping it rolled for several years. I also did not want to impact hatch storage, since we immediately took it on a road trip and had the trunk loaded up. I also thought about buying a Lloyds mat, but they do not cover the spare. I was on the search for a while to find a worse condition black carpet to do this to, but in the end, after looking at the condition of the carpet's backing which was starting to crack but the smugglers boots, I decided a small hole was ok (and much better than the flap that is outlined on the back of the carpet) and I will look for a good condition black carpet to store and eventually replace it with.

Those were my considerations at least. Your results may be different.

Hint, hint, if anyone has a good condition black hatch carpet that they want to part with....

Quick Reply: DIY - Installing a Child's Car Seat Tether Anchor in a 968