Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

turbo intake manifold repair welding possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 05:36 AM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default turbo intake manifold repair welding possible?

hi guys,

a wile ago i posted some pictures of my rodbearings. recieved a lot of knowledge and went on: after complete dismantle there is not a lot left (after 55tsd miles) that can be reused.
crank: shot.
p/c: shot
conrods: shot
cams: shot - yes, real x33 cams )-:
cam towers: shot
etc.
etc.
etc.

the whole thing is good: car, suspension, any engine sheet metal, cis, heat exchangers, etc.: condition over all is matching this low miles.

i can reuse case and heads. they were rebuild afer a money shift 15thousand miles ago by the previous owner.

damage now is in the top end: p/c´s, rods, cam towers and cams - everything looks as there was sanding paper inside. bottom was fine so far: main bearings (were) reusable - perfect. there is only one oil circuit. so what the heck happened? top end finished - bottom good? makes no sense. crank is dead for other reasons )-@

while searching where this tiny parts came from that scratched any surface/bearing i found my intake manifold eaten by - may be bad fuel.

four of six are as shown. may be this corroded alu did this damage? i did a search for a replacement (91 dated) they look all the same. some more, some less. is this a 91/94 isssue? did porsche change material in this time.
or the production process?

my question now: i am unable to source one intake in good condition. so i thought about welding and machine this damaged part. did any of you do so? is this alu or something mixed up?

or does anyone have a good one laying arround. mine is a 91 turbo.
i am interested at a reasonable price.

my budget is limited a little after new crank, p/c´s, cams, cam towers, valves, valve springs, clutch, bearings, maschine shop invoice, and all the tiny things "while i am in..."! never planned this at the moment.

so repair is my first choice. buyng a good used is an option too.
the damage is too big to simply open the injector blocs and holes in the inlet - not even with alu blocks. works for 4 of 6 - may be 5 of 6. the last is too big now....

any help welcome, thank you!
Attached Images    
Old 06-19-2017, 02:09 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Call Chris at Turbokraft in Arizona. He should have a replacement.
You should be able to source a 930 intake with no issue. They are the same part from 1979 all the way to 1993.
Sounds like your engine had some serious contamination in it to have so much damage at 55k miles.
Did your engine builder measure your crank and rods to determine that they are not re-useable?
If your crank is not re-useable, you will need to size new main bearings to the crank journal diameters.
Now is the time to get bigger pistons and cylinders I'd love to bore/stroke a turbo engine to 3.6 or 3.9.
Boat tail the crank journals, knife edge the crank counterweights and half moon cut the cylinder bottoms for a little more top end. Twin plug the heads for a little more torque. Replace CIS with EFI.
The things that you can do are almost endless (it helps to have endless cash too )

Quick Reply: turbo intake manifold repair welding possible?