Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

No spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 02:07 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

good info and good reminders. I bought thermal paste last year and I've yet to do anything with it. Will do that this week. AND add an extra ground.

So - Maverick - what's the plan now - just curious - if this was a loaner EZ - do you plan to search out another to buy? or swap to MSD ignition? or?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Who makes the thermal paste and is there a specific type Porsche recommends? I don't see it listed in the PET. It is nasty thick stuff that reminds me of never seize compound in white. It is a PITA to get off whatever you get it on.

Maverick,

Keep us posted on anything new you learn. All the best.

Steve,

We have to set a date soon. We need to get Mike BB1 and Frank993C2S as well. He has some amazing stories and Club racing footage you will go crazy over. His race in the rain at VIR this past week was insane but he took P1. He has become quite the pro driver. Between Frank and Mike we should be in car story nirvana. lol
Old 06-26-2017, 06:50 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Who makes the thermal paste and is there a specific type Porsche recommends? I don't see it listed in the PET.
This is confirmation that no one is reading my posts
Summit Racing sells it as do your local auto parts store.
For the anally retentive types, silver-bearing thermal paste for computer chips (the dielectric variety) would work too but is much more expensive and I'm not sure there is a quantifiable advantage to using it.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:03 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
This is confirmation that no one is reading my posts
Summit Racing sells it as do your local auto parts store.
For the anally retentive types, silver-bearing thermal paste for computer chips (the dielectric variety) would work too but is much more expensive and I'm not sure there is a quantifiable advantage to using it.
Me thinks it is old age creeping up. I seem to retain half as much as I used to
Old 06-26-2017, 10:55 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Hey Guys,

The question that was asked, will the 02 EZ69 from a 3.6 turbo work on 3.3 turbos cars ?
Second... I don't remember seeing a ground wire to the aluminium sink that the EZ69 is attached too when I did the install. Hmmm Can someone please confirm that the alum sink plate needs to be grounded ? thanks
Old 06-26-2017, 11:44 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Yes Paul post #18 you did highlight the grease.....and I passed it on to the wrench who was familiar with it...love all the input!!!

Heliops2 best we can tell the 3.6 doesn't work in the 3.3....by virtue of the fact that's Porsche changed the part number means they determined it significantly different to bother doing...if they were close enough then Porshe would have superseded the part number to just one number....
Stefan, what are you referring to when you say good AR ratio? And what is a good AR ratio value?
Brandon, current plan is to liberate the controller for Cobalts inventory......waiting to see if we can figure out what's going on with the idle running.....she runs like she is missing but yet seems to run ok.....sounds wrong so need to find out if there is vacume leak or spark plug/ wire issue....wasn't doing it when she first fired up.....looking to see if there has been a disturbed hose or wire.....if that is solved then I'll coax her along while keeping an eye out for an OEM one day.....although looking at what Stephan did to his car.....OMG it is one sweet sounding/performing car!
Old 06-27-2017, 12:21 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick
Heliops2 best we can tell the 3.6 doesn't work in the 3.3....by virtue of the fact that's Porsche changed the part number means they determined it significantly different to bother doing...if they were close enough then Porsche would have superseded the part number to just one number....
If Porsche follows typical part number convention the prefix is model year and suffix is the revision number for the component. It is quite possible that the 3.6 EZ would be ok for the 3.3. Timing could be easily verified with a timing light. It would be a noble experiment

......waiting to see if we can figure out what's going on with the idle running.....she runs like she is missing but yet seems to run ok.....sounds wrong so need to find out if there is vacume leak or spark plug/ wire issue....wasn't doing it when she first fired up.....looking to see if there has been a disturbed hose or wire.....if that is solved then I'll coax her along while keeping an eye out for an OEM one day.....although looking at what Stephan did to his car.....OMG it is one sweet sounding/performing car!
Test the coil. It was the source of an miss at idle on my car.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:23 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Can anyone shed some light the ground to mounting plate ? I don't remember seeing a ground wire to the aluminium sink that the EZ69 is attached too when I did the install. Hmmm Can someone please confirm that the alum sink plate needs to be grounded ? thanks
Old 06-27-2017, 06:04 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

AR - short wide flat braided will carry what you want away
Old 06-27-2017, 11:45 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Being a total novice when it comes to EZ, controllers, ignitions on these cars,... Question: Is there a link somewhere to the steps involved in taking this out of the car, and where to apply said grease,... and what type of grease?

... or is it simple enough for someone to write up a few quick steps, and what to look for?

I watched the video, so it looks as though this EZ resides in the driver rear quarter, and accessible from the engine bay. That's a start for me anyway...
TIA.

Also VERY glad to hear you got er up & running Maverick. And yes, Cobalt is a huge help to many on this forum (& in person!!).

=Steve
Originally Posted by heliolps2
Can anyone shed some light the ground to mounting plate ? I don't remember seeing a ground wire to the aluminium sink that the EZ69 is attached too when I did the install. Hmmm Can someone please confirm that the alum sink plate needs to be grounded ? thanks

I'll have them check the coil thanks......don't have a 3.6 to try but have a donor car available!!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

The ground is a recommendation of an additional safety net to prevent an electrical short ETC...

I'll have them check the coil thanks......don't have a 3.6 to try but have a donor car available!!
I can send you a 3.6 unit if you are up for the try.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:25 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Old 07-02-2017, 10:21 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just back from southern California ......holy cow the weather there is just awesome......i'd never park my car!
Anthony, would be great to try the 3.6 and also the alternate 3.3....email sent.
Thanks guys and Happy 4th to all!
Old 07-07-2017, 06:39 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah if I lived in SoCal I'd prolly daily drive the Turbo. Why not. Clean smooth roads. Unlike here in Denver....

Let us know what the 3.6 EZ does. I bet it works but is not optimal.

Thanks to this thread - last weekend I put more thermal paste between the EZ and backing plate - and added a ground. There is a ground to the body right by the EZ where other grounds attached to. Brown wires FYI.

Then I went for a drive in the mountains - intent was a killer 300+ mile run over nice 2-lane mountain routes - but maybe 75 miles in the shifter started feeling funky. And lost reverse. So went home after a stop for a quick bite. Got back in car and zipping up a pass came upon Johnny Law - and yep sure nuff I had forgotten to turn my detector back on :-( so...got a ticket to add insult to injury. Literally. Got home and looked at the linkage and the two rubber o-rings/bushings on the shifter tube had disintegrated. Should have the car back on the road tomorrow.

Anyway thanks again for the thermal paste reminder and extra ground idea.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:09 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Yeah if I lived in SoCal I'd prolly daily drive the Turbo. Why not. Clean smooth roads. Unlike here in Denver....

Let us know what the 3.6 EZ does. I bet it works but is not optimal.

Thanks to this thread - last weekend I put more thermal paste between the EZ and backing plate - and added a ground. There is a ground to the body right by the EZ where other grounds attached to. Brown wires FYI.

Then I went for a drive in the mountains - intent was a killer 300+ mile run over nice 2-lane mountain routes - but maybe 75 miles in the shifter started feeling funky. And lost reverse. So went home after a stop for a quick bite. Got back in car and zipping up a pass came upon Johnny Law - and yep sure nuff I had forgotten to turn my detector back on :-( so...got a ticket to add insult to injury. Literally. Got home and looked at the linkage and the two rubber o-rings/bushings on the shifter tube had disintegrated. Should have the car back on the road tomorrow.

Anyway thanks again for the thermal paste reminder and extra ground idea.
Sorry to hear about the ticket and your shiftier....Would you be so kind, and take a pic of the ground wire and how you attached the extra ground wire

Quick Reply: No spark