964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Traded my 993 Cab for 92 965

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve

The Annapolis Porsche Dealership is hosting a dual car & bike show with their next door neighbor Harley Davidson on Saturday and I'm a Concours Judge for the car side. =Steve
Steve, when is that show.. next Sat or did I miss it? I was there last year and had a ball! The vintage Harley's in place were amazing.. and of course the 356s made a good showing, hopefully this year more 911,964, and 993s will show.

Originally Posted by bweSteve
With the two Cars & Coffee, one up in Hunt Valley Baltimore, and the other in Annapolis,... no I have not attended Great Falls. I'm sure it's a good one, but that distance is a bit much for our 964T.

=Steve
You're 964 will enjoy the trip.. and I have to say neither Hunt Valley nor Annapolis can compare to what shows-up at Katie's, and I've been to each multiple times! Leave early, get their by 7:00am as its over by 9:00am. Well worth the trip!

Paul-
Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 659 Posts

Thanks Paul. I'd def like to attend the Great Falls Katie C&C someday. This year, our schedule is overly packed tho. We hit Amelia Island Werks with the car back in March, mixed a few other events in between that & then drove Porsche's for 2 weeks in Germany in May. Missed Spokane Parade but hit a few other events leading up to Asheville Treffen in mid Sept. We have our Chesapeake Challenge multi-event weekend in late August..... on & on this year.

POh, but the Annapolis Harley & Porsche event was June 24th, so yea that's over. It was well attended but I was not at the prior year that you attended, so I can't compare the size & who showed up. Good food & lots of fun though. They roped me into being a Concours Judge that day, and I was autocrossing our Cayenne earlier that morning. Busy day.

2018 should be a tad lighter on my Porsche schedule, so maybe I'll hit up Katie's then.
Thanks for posting!

Thanks to Heliolps for letting us hijack his thread
=Steve
Old 07-18-2017, 07:09 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Steve.. sounds like you've had/have busy event schedule.. that's good though cause you're enjoying your car!

Sorry I missed the Annapolis Porsche/Harley event.. but I usually make it out to Chesapeake Challenge.. Also, Potomac Region has their Porschefest coming-up in August..

I'll try to make those two events in-between working a couple of builds and helping a friend support his factory Cup Car.. not much time to get out. Hopefully I'll finish tweaking the 930 as I'm looking forward to the Porsche Corral at Petit LeMans @ Road Atlanta

Have fun & enjoy the ride!
Old 07-18-2017, 09:25 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 659 Posts

Thanks Paul. Sounds good! We will definitely be meeting each other (again?) soon.

Oh, & I met Bert yesterday too. Looks like I've tapped into the NoVa RL & PCA crew!!

And with Heliolps in the mix,.. and the cool Potomac events you guys line up,... we will definitely meet soon.

Me?
I've been to Summit a few times over the past year+, but just to hang with a few Chesapeake guys who are making the turns (Gary M & Claude T). I must admit, I tried (dozen yrs ago) to DE my 964 Turbo. Back when we had to send in a personal check,.. & no online regi. The two times I tried to register, Potomac sent my check back to me & said they were full. I was definitely not on the inside. I gave up, plus kids were starting to do sports, etc. Family life (coaching high school & youth hockey took up a lot of weekends too).

But I will say, that I have been having a BLAST autocrossing our 2012 Cayenne Turbo these past 3 years. Even took 1st two years in a row at the French Lick & Jay Peak Parade's (& my times were in the top 10% overall too). So that has, to some degree, quenched my appetite to drive hard. The 964T really only gets pushed on the PCA Tour Drives about 4-5 times a year. So I needed something!!

Anyway,... another plug to Heliolps to keep all his posts coming (especially on his other threads)... I am learning a LOT!! (the only experience I have is building older 3.0 SC motor in my garage back in the late 90's).

Take care guys.
=Steve
Old 07-27-2017, 09:45 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm very happy to say after a 1300 miles of driving, worked out a couple of bugs with the AC system and a loose coil wire connection, she drives perfect, starts perfect cold , warm and hot, no weird noises, very smooth running, dry as a desert bone,

She drives much like my 993 until the boost kicks in, then you know it's a 965, Pulls hard, Sounds great with out the cat, a very well balanced car, I like the Bilstien HD shocks the brakes are solid, I love the LSD, I can fell the extra grip in the on ramps to the freeways

I worked for Porsche Newport Beach California back in 1992, I get flash backs from those days when I drove these cars new. Good times

She still smells like new leather inside, no rattles, power everything works perfect, seats, sunroof, mirrors, AC..... 38 Deg, gauges, interior lights, alarm, Radio, OBC, rear wiper, headlight washers, all the switches feel solid. Simply a very well built Porsche

I'm amazed how much attention she gets at Cars & Coffee, even from other Porsche guys. They know how rare this 965's are.

The air cooled wrench at the Porsche or Arlington who did the aliment and charged the AC, wanted to buy her, LOL
Old 10-02-2017, 11:52 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Hey my Porsche friends's

My brother will be in DC for the first time, and the first time seeing and driving his old 965 with it's Turbo engine,

Its looking and driving better that it ever has. I'm he'll wish he never traded it, But again after I'll be showing him the cost of restoring it back to it 965 glory, he'll think I was crazy !!

I drive it every weekend and I'm loving it, I park in front of my store, It's nice to see people take pic's and appreciating the classic air cooled turbo 911.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:58 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Drove her to work today
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2018, 12:15 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

I love these wheels
Old 04-28-2018, 08:44 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Ahhhhh, she looks proper now!

Congrats!
Old 04-28-2018, 08:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

^^^ second that.

BTW just curious if you have any regrets going from a 993 to a 964?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:37 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Tony,
I missed you and Ilko last week at the swap. I saw your Turbo pulling in and was like "WoW!" that's a nice one. However, didn't recognize it was you and never got over to that side to gawk. Was busy slinging or chasing parts. The next thing I knew I saw Ilko's car leaving and couldn't find that 965 again!
Old 04-28-2018, 11:04 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
^^^ second that.

BTW just curious if you have any regrets going from a 993 to a 964?
Thank you everyone

I went from a 70's 911 with a turbo 3.3, It was light and powerful over the top . I sold that car and bought the 993 Cab, I loved the creature comforts of the 993 but it lacked the attention that I enjoyed at Cars and Coffee, No body asked question about the 993, the 993's also lack engine sound, that drove me crazy,

The opposite for the 965, The drive and the handling is much better in the 965 is far better and 965 feels solid. My couple 930 friends have drove my 965, They walk away saying I want one...LOL. The engine sound is great, I also have a cat and waste gate bypass, The paint isn't perfect but mechanically she's perfect, I just upgraded to the BL WUR just because, I would drive her cross country in a heart beat,

The 993 did have a awesome stereo and hollow spoke Turbo wheels. The convertible top dove me crazy......Loving my 964 C2 Turbo. I hope you all have a great day, I'm going for a drive, the weather in DC is beautiful.

Later
Old 04-28-2018, 03:37 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by onboost
Tony,
I missed you and Ilko last week at the swap. I saw your Turbo pulling in and was like "WoW!" that's a nice one. However, didn't recognize it was you and never got over to that side to gawk. Was busy slinging or chasing parts. The next thing I knew I saw Ilko's car leaving and couldn't find that 965 again!
I stopped by and spoke with Bert for a while. I have no voice from new meds the Dr's have me on and it is getting to be annoying three weeks in and it is barely returning. My wife is happy LOL.

There is always next year. I figured it was my last ride with Ilko since he is moving soon. Going to need to find others to drive with. I forgot how great these cars are. It was the first time I had the car out for 6 hours of driving in a long time. I plan to do it more as it accelerates in a way I have never experienced in other cars. The GT3's pull strong to redline in a linear fashion but this thing just catapults you forward with minimal throttle. Once there is air in the turbo MPH move much quicker than RPM's. It always makes me smile. Sorry I missed you.

Helios:

Glad to here you enjoy it that much. These are a unique experience that is hard to describe and very different from the N/A cars.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:13 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Helio-
Maybe I missed it above - but what were the symptoms of your bad CCU?
Suddenly neither of my mixing servos (both of which were rebuilt by the guy in Europe a year or two ago so I'm confident they are good) stopped working. Me thinks they aren't getting the signal.
I'll check fuses but I suspect the CCU.

Sounds like you used ECU Doctors. Cost and time frame?

Anybody else have any other places to recommend? I've heard the name Specialized ECU repair come up before.....

Thanks-

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'00 Audi S4
Old 07-22-2018, 11:24 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Hello Porsche friends,

I have been enjoying my 964 Turbo, everything works great as it should no rattles , very solid , I'm impressed that it uses very little oil as well about one quart per 2000 miles, Took her out for a shake down at Summit Point Auto cross, Thank God that I do my own work, And willing to work on other 911 owns for free. and teach them.

Given that I had to restore my 965 back to original it's been a journey, I had to do a couple more things like

1. Fresh air servo needs replacing. DONE $300
2. New Heater hose from the right side of the shroud needs to be installed correctly, AC compressor needs to be removed. PITA. DONE $0
3. Replace torn CV boots. DONE $33
4. Rocker panels clips. DONE $47
5. Intercooler to Turbo Hose needs to be replaced, for aesthetic
reasons.
.Waiting on parts $298 Done 1/13/18
6. Clean the EZ 69 and re-grease and add ground cable to backing plate. $16 waiting on parts .Done 1/13/18
7. Replace the rear lid shocks with heavy duty units, $34 Done 1/13/18
8. Replaced the WUR with a Brian Leask WUR set to OE specs, Just because the old unit was 25 years old $545
9. RH 3.6 18 wheels and tires 225/40 and 285/30 $3200
10 . Detailed and ceramic coating on paint and wheels $1000

Last edited by heliolps2; 11-14-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Traded my 993 Cab for 92 965