Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Exhaust setup/sound differences

Old 04-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
These were very nice rides. I worked on one for an employee years ago. A lot of engineering although if the air pillows go it can be quite expensive to repair.

I don't seem to be able to do any project without making it nicer than its intended purpose. Must be the OCD side coming out. The car is a beast makes the 3.6T seem like a C2 in comparison. It will be nice when I finish all the little things. I also have a bunch of suspension changes I want to do. I picked up some Tarrett drop links and outer tie rods so I can lower it a bit more. I also will change the front suspension from the inner mount points to the outer to get more width in the front end. Running 9.5 fronts is a bit tough no matter what I do the tires do rub the front shields on partial lock makes a K turn quite difficult. But on track you never turn the wheel to that extreme. Once i get the suspension dialed in I think it can take on just about anything. I have no issue pulling on 991GT3's in a straight line just need to learn not to use the brakes so much. The 993RS brakes are far more aggressive than the stock turbo brakes.
Yes the Mk VIII tragically was not advertised as the GT car that it was, but as a "personal luxury" car (whatever the hell that is).
According to my son the aftermarket air bags are not as pricey as the OE stuff was in the day. This car has the original suspension and air bags and had rear shocks replaced on warranty (a great advantage to working at Ford is I was able to access the service records of the car. The old guy who owned it literally took it to the dealer when a light bulb burned out).

I, too am OCD about my cars. That is why I've spend as much as I have on things like paint correction and refinishing the wheels to a high standard. I still have the interior carpet to replace! The list goes on forever.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:46 AM
spjuvern
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waking up a old tread
has anyone built something own to get that nice perfect sound.

right now a have a 100cel cat and straight out
it makes to much and not nice sound for my taste.
Thinking about building a longer exhaust
and add a muffler instead of the cat

Old 09-09-2020, 03:40 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

I'm of the opinion that no matter what you do to a Turbo exhaust, it will always sound like a motorboat unless you are revving the **** out of it.
I'm more concerned with irritating my neighhbors and myself with a system that is too loud.
The only reason I changed my system was to get the boost onset down to a reasonable engine speed. If I want cool sound I'll buy a Ferrari
You could do a RarlyL8 muffler but you would need a tailpipe fabricated.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:19 AM
spjuvern
Instructor

I wonder what difference I could do if I make a long tube snorkel up behind the right rear wheel before coming out as tailpipe
Old 09-10-2020, 08:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,166 Posts

Originally Posted by spjuvern
I wonder what difference I could do if I make a long tube snorkel up behind the right rear wheel before coming out as tailpipe
I tried that along with adding baffles internally and it didn't help. I ended up using an inexpensive Magnaflow muffler (quality has changed since then) which sounds decent has nice burble on lift off but what really made her scream was using a dump pipe vs WG cat. This way when on boost it sounds mean but is quite while puttering around town. The turbos sound is its biggest disappointment compared to my N/A C2 which has just the most amazing sound for a 911 especially at WOT.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I tried that along with adding baffles internally and it didn't help. I ended up using an inexpensive Magnaflow muffler (quality has changed since then) which sounds decent has nice burble on lift off but what really made her scream was using a dump pipe vs WG cat. This way when on boost it sounds mean but is quite while puttering around town. The turbos sound is its biggest disappointment compared to my N/A C2 which has just the most amazing sound for a 911 especially at WOT.
+1 Anthony.
As it is, the stock Turbo exhaust makes seven 90 degree turns, which is a total performance killer. Flow losses skyrocket any time a fluid traveling down a pipe is forced to change directions. Also, the stock system is really heavy.
Unless you are ready to ditch the stock system, a cat test pipe will take you as far as you can go without getting into a lot of time and expense to chase an exhaust tone that is mediocre IMO. If you would like more performance, a new system is necessary before you do anything else.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:49 AM
spjuvern
Instructor

I have No problem building someting custom, i was hoping more people here had went outside the box and tested different setups.

here is a nice sound, but it is a NA engine with turbo
View this post on Instagram
Old 09-10-2020, 04:40 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spjuvern
I have No problem building someting custom, i was hoping more people here had went outside the box and tested different setups.
A few of us have covered the same ground but once we got past using the stock heat exchangers and muffler there has been some divergence.
Anthony has a Fabspeed header setup while I have a 993 Bischoff heat exchangers and a custom merge pipe.
While I like my system a lot, it took a lot of design and fabrication work to bring it to life.
The Haywood & Scott system looks cool too but I don't know of anyone here in the U.S. that has one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust setup/sound differences