964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Proper Tool Kit for 964 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 05:52 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by wicks
Only want originals...I do have the original translucent handle - good news. Sunset seems to have these rare tools - thanks Jason - hopefully they aren't just fudged into the original part numbers but aren't the original tools.
Can't seem to find the part numbers for these though (the diagram only indicates a few of the part numbers), anybody have them?
8-9mm wrench
5mm allen wrench
10mm allen wrench
alt wrench 24mm found
Other closed end wrenches I see above?
Wicks, Good news that you have the translucent screwdriver.

I just opened my tool bag & took a closer look.
The 8, 9, 10 mm open-ended wrenches have the following written on them (besides the size #) "Selected-Special-Steel" and right next to that is "West" over top of "Germany".
They may not have actual Porsche part #'s.

There is a Allen wrench Adapter which is Part# 911.721.237.00

The 5mm Allen wrench has "5 DIN 911 / KLEIN Germany" written on them. Likewise the 10mm has "10 DIN 911 / KLEIN Germany". I do not think they have official Porsche Part #'s (or at least that I've ever seen)

The 12 point (black tip, sometimes called a "triple box" or "triple square") Polygon Alternator Wrench Part # 999.571.052.02 has written on it: "M10 KLEIN W.-Germany"
There are not too many pictures on the web of this wrench,.. so I took one & will add it to this post below... plus this reference RL thread...
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...it-called.html

Another hard one to find is the locking lug nut cap removal tool. THAT one I did not have, and took me a while to find it. Part # 928.361.311.00 (little hook with circular handle laying on the black leather in my picture above)

If you have not seen this,.. you will want to look through this RSA website on Toolkit contents too...
http://www.rsamerica.net/OEMinfo/toolkit/index.htm

There is also a lot of good information on another RL Thread in the NA 964 forum, that might help you too... Post # 7 shows the PET with some additional part #'s...
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ith-photo.html

=Steve
Old 04-18-2018, 06:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I have a good friend who is well known for his tool kit knowledge especially the early 356 cars. He sells all sorts of kits for some serious prices. I am not so sure even he could cover the whole truth to these years sometimes. I would caution if you're going for originality you will most likely need to shop at events like Hershey this coming weekend. If you're going for completeness new is fine. I don't think you will see West Germany markings on new product.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:04 AM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

Don't bother buying the tools new from Sunset or any other Porsche dealer. The tools they will send you are the right part number but are newer versions and don't even remotely resemble the real deal. If you really want the right ones then Anthony is right, shop at Hershey, Lit Meet, on Pelican parts used 911 forum, etc. Post up the exact items you need on a WTB ad here and you might find a member who has them. I am a fanatic for having all the right tools for all my cars, frankly its a stupid obsession but oh well!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:45 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

^^^ Yep. I was obsessed too. That's the reason I was giving Wick's the stampings too from the original tools that he is missing.

I scoured everywhere for the few tools I needed. Didn't matter to me where I got them from. But you are right, the tools coming from Porsche now are not from the original suppliers.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:30 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Aren't the 21mm spark plug tools obsolete now with the 16mm plugs?
Old 05-03-2018, 11:12 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This is mine, original including unopened bag of plastic gloves😎

Old 05-04-2018, 12:21 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wicks
Aren't the 21mm spark plug tools obsolete now with the 16mm plugs?
Interesting that you say it that way Wicks. Not sure what you mean, since it is kinda the opposite for me & my experience with my 1991 964 turbo...

I just replaced my plugs a couple years ago, and went with the Bosch WR6 DPO, which is a 21mm collar spark plug.

Plus, the original spark plug wrench I have in my toolkit,... which is the kind without a spring,... is a 16mm, and has the following etched on it: "KLEIN 16 W.Germany". Which is kinda weird that my Bosch WR6 DPO's are 21mm. Maybe my toolkit has the wrong size wrench. Picture of my knuckle articulating type spark plug wrench is in Post #5 above.

I see from the RSAmerica Registry, it talks about the spark plug wrench being a 21mm (but then again it shows it WITH the spring), and the RSA's are from 1993.

Yes I've seen a lot of the newer cars use 16mm plugs,... but not sure that applies to our early 90's 911's.

I see in Post #7 above from JasonAndreas , that it says 16mm wrench came with our cars. Were the original plugs from the early 90's the smaller collar 16mm type?

And then Maverick shows his spark plug wrench above, and it shows "KLEIN 17 x 19 GERMANY". not West Germany. And it is not the knuckle articulating type wrench. It is the type that you have stick a bar through. Maverick, is your kit for a 930? What year?

What are the rest of you guys running for spark plugs in your 964T's? Is ANYONE using a plug that is a 16mm?? Somehow I kinda doubt it.

=Steve
Old 05-04-2018, 01:01 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

I've got the plastic gloves in mine too, haha.

Steve, we have different motors which maybe has something to do with it? My year turbo was built on the M64 block...they are 16mm plugs...
Old 05-04-2018, 02:22 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Thanks Wicks. I had no idea your car was a '94 3.6. Sorry bout that.

Now I feel it necessary to acquire a 21mm Spark Plug wrench. Lol....

Anyone want to sell their 21mm non-spring, black-plastic-turn-ring spark-plug-wrench (which it sounds like was used for my U.S. MY '91 - '92 964T),... in similar new condition as my 16mm ???
.... or have a pointer to one for sale online?

.... or maybe I just settle for a 21mm that has the spring. With all the mystery about which tools were issued with which models over the year's,... I doubt any judge is gonna care if I have one with the spring.

=Steve

Old 05-04-2018, 04:44 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

I'll take your 16...name a price and drop me email for paypal
Old 05-04-2018, 06:04 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

I may have found the 21mm I'm looking for.... (the key is whether it really has the black plastic turn **** on top. Most I see out there are all metal, and I'm pretty sure the vintage ones have a black hand-turn ****)

http://www.stoddard.com/477012203a.html

I'll probably hold onto all the extra tools in my kit though. I have so many extras it doesn't make sense to start selling them. And I don't have duplicates. Sorry Wicks.
But I'll continue to look & keep my eyes peeled for wrenches.

But I'll also add,.. .for those who are wrenching themselves,.. the tool I use MOST when changing plugs is THIS one. SnapOn S5902 (Patent # 3273430). My Dad gave me this wrench when I was 15yrs old, and it has helped on many-a late 60's muscle car, Porsche's / VW's plug & oil changes over the decades...
Damn solid tool. It has just the right amount of curvature / bend at the head.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Snap-on-S5902...2pt/1823048274
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Snap-on-Tool-USA-VW-Oil-Transmission-Plug-17mm-Hex-21mm-Box-Wrench-S5902/112954683712?epid=1622226534&hash=item1a4c9fb140:g:2AUAAOSwXj5awwAh

=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 05-04-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:55 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve, mine is a March 7th 1991 build, 3.3. I'm not the original owner but I have no reason to believe it's not the original kit. It has all the other tools and accessories in the trunk, spare, compressor, jack etc. I can't see that some one would source a replacement and put in the incorrect one. I still had the blue high intensity headlight washer fluid, which I just noticed has evaporated ..or leaked( need to check if it has a leak I guess) don't think I have ever used the headlight washer system! Porsche as we all know was doing some inconsistent things back then so may have just used up,inventory on the early cars.
Mine also,has an anomonly with engine decals, it has the yellow dual distributer decal..... I have ordered from Porsche the replacement decal kit via my vin number, and guess what, the identical decals showed up!
all the more reason theses cars are fun to own and keep finding unique things about....
Old 05-07-2018, 09:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

3.3 uses 21mm wrench the 3.6 16mm

Maverick I don't believe your kit is for the 964 turbo 3.3 although it is a Porsche kit for an earlier 911. My friend actually is known as one of the most knowledgeable tool kit guys and actually has worked to help Porsche with early 356 kits. I am not sure what kit you have I can try to see if he recognizes it as he has complete kits in plastic packages he sells some costing as much as $6k. The bag spark plug wrench and screwdriver are for an older 911. I judge a lot of 964 turbos and part of judging is the tool kit and I have never seen one like yours in a 964T. It is a Porsche kit and is probably worth some $$ to the right buyer. The gloves are correct but came with the earlier cars as well and there was also a plastic sheet that was supplied to kneel on when changing a tire.

There should be 5 open ended box wrenches and the screwdriver handle should be red translucent. Bags should look like what Steve and I posted the 3.3 usually has snaps the later cars have tie strings. Also the compressor has three accessories. A small nozzle usually in red a brass piece and a ball inflator I can try to post pics of those later. Some of the decals were superseded for the 993 and the earlier versions are NLA so you would receive the newer version when ordering.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:32 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

well if you find out what mine is that would be interesting to know.....at this point I don't think I'll be chasing a replacement unless someone needs a trade and has a 3.3 kit...
Old 05-09-2018, 07:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I sent him an email will see if he can help

Quick Reply: Proper Tool Kit for 964 Turbo