Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:43 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts
Default What's different from US spec 965 vs Euro spec 965

Hi Guys

What's different from US spec 965 vs Euro spec 965,

I know that bumpers and the ride height are different, side markers and optional airbags, What i want to is Primarily engine stuff, like exhaust and fuel system, Ignition system and Transmission specs like gearing and so on..

Helio
Old 03-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I think 965's all had U.S. emissions (being the most strengthen standards in the world, it would be good everywhere) worldwide. That's would make sense as Porsche essentially carried over the 930 engine from 1989 with only a few updates. The 965 was a rush launch during a time when Porsche's finances were bleak. It was done on the cheap with the real engineering investment being put toward the 993 TT.

Anthony?
Old 03-11-2017, 07:19 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Pretty much the same the only ride height differences were the ROW 3.6's sat 10mm lower. Same spring rates but slightly shorter. The 3.3's US and ROW used the same springs.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:36 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

From what info I found the engine spec's are the same, Not sure the ignition timing is the same though ? I guess I could look up the EZ69 box part numbers and see if there's a different from the USA vs ROW. Does any one know if the gearing is the same on the G50/52 ? I know the 964's are different.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

It would probably take an hour at most to load up the USA and European versions of PET, run them side-by-side and visually scan for differences. I'm not aware of anyone having done so yet?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
It would probably take an hour at most to load up the USA and European versions of PET, run them side-by-side and visually scan for differences. I'm not aware of anyone having done so yet?
They don't vary that much and some of the ROW parts are in the US PET. I did a quick comparison once. There are differences between MY for both US and ROW cars but very little between the US and ROW other than country specific requirements. As far as EZ 69 my research only came up with 3.3 vs 3.6 units.. If anyone knows of anything significant it would be nice to see what some have and objective evidence of the differences.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:38 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
As far as EZ 69 my research only came up with 3.3 vs 3.6 units...
I believe that is the case.
The only concession for countries that didn't have premium fuel was the fuel jumper on the EZ unit to advance the timing. Otherwise the world got an engine calibrated to U.S. emissions laws.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:21 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for your thoughts, I also looked at the PET, The only difference I see is Japan seems to have different Engine part number, Please tell me more about the fuel jumper, and is their an advantage on running more timing here in the US. I the DC area we have 93 octane?

I known that Andial made a programmable EZ69 ignition unit for the Bridgestone Series Brumoes Race cars, have you seen this before or have iany info on those units?

Any info on the US G50/52 vs Euro G50/52, gearing ?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:09 AM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Lambda unit

The lambda unit ends 02 vs 01 row for example. I am pretty sure there is some more differences in the fuel system. The us and japan version should have some stuff row does not have. Some carcoal box etc. Ride high is different. Rest should be the same all over the world.

Porsche was a smal company without money that time. So often they made cars better as needed. Seems that was cheaper as to split production and buildt different types.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:02 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by heliolps2
Thanks guys for your thoughts, I also looked at the PET, The only difference I see is Japan seems to have different Engine part number, Please tell me more about the fuel jumper, and is their an advantage on running more timing here in the US. I the DC area we have 93 octane?

I known that Andial made a programmable EZ69 ignition unit for the Bridgestone Series Brumoes Race cars, have you seen this before or have iany info on those units?

Any info on the US G50/52 vs Euro G50/52, gearing ?
I have two of the Andial EZ units. They marked them as EZ68. They are similar except as shown against the EZ69's for the 3.6T (02 version 3.3 used the 01 version). As you can see there is a location for a chip. I have no idea what it does differently. I purchased these to play with or as wall art but I haven't done anything as of yet.

If I feel brave enough I might one day play with them on my 3.6 and a dyno but based on the date on the chip I believe these are for the 3.3's. Possibly car number 58 I would hate to do damage so I need to do more research.

As far as the G50/52 this is a comparison chart compiled by Bill V. I think it will show you what you are after. Other than DOT specific differences I believe the biggest changes between US vs ROW would be the shorter springs used on the ROW 3.6's. You might also try picking up a copy of Adrian Streather's book. Look for the latest edition the 1st edition was released before some information was discovered. Very little was known about these cars prior to 2004. This book gives the best overall comparison between the models. Just don't believe the production numbers most of them are doubles. His listings for C2 and C4 should actually show as C2/C4 combined so use the number he has for C2 and subtract 60 and that is the actual total number produced for both. In fact he includes vins 001 through 060 for all MY's. All vins start at 061.
Attached Images     
Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by heliolps2
Please tell me more about the fuel jumper, and is their an advantage on running more timing here in the US. I the DC area we have 93 octane?
That's what we have in Michigan. You are ok. If you could only get 87 octane you would need it then.
I run more timing (3 degrees more) because of the SC cams I have. Reversion (mixing of fuel charge and exhaust gasses during the overlap period) dilutes the charge and therefore needs more time to burn. Advancing the timing takes care of that and gets a little more torque out of the cams.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:51 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have no idea what it does differently. I purchased these to play with or as wall art but I haven't done anything as of yet.
Years ago I was going to play around with this but was told not to bother and that it wasn't worth the effort. That said, if you can read the EPROM I can take a look and see if there is anything to disassemble.

Quick Reply: What's different from US spec 965 vs Euro spec 965