Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Deletion of emissions system on 3.3L?

Old 08-18-2016, 01:26 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Deletion of emissions system on 3.3L?

I have been slowly going through my 964T.

I had the steering shaft and rack/pinion restored earlier this year.

The engine is now out for a full service.
Only 55k miles, so it is seals, gaskets etc. Anything that is timed out or worn.

There is alot of junk associated with the emissions systems.

Should i maintain it, or remove it and put it all in a box for the next owner?
(i currently have the stock exhaust in a box)

Pros? Cons?
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2016, 09:29 PM
mitchy965
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mines all off and in a box. the pump,the drive pulley and belt air injection spiders and associated tubes. the system only works at an idle, weighs in at maybe 20lbs and is useless (to me) except for restoration purposes. of course there is no mandatory testing or smog cops near me.....
Old 08-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same, mine is gone, just dead weight.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

The air injection spider on my car was rotted out when I bought it (bad design; mild steel construction and no way to purge condensation).
All that system spaghetti makes working on the engine such a humongous pain that I trashed it all.
If the next owner of my car is a originality weenie, running down all the parts will make for an interesting project for him
I still have original heat exchangers, J pipe and turbo catch tank stored. It will never be re-installed on my car as long as I own it.
Total weight reduction net-net between factory stuff and aftermarket exhaust is 80 lb (!).
Old 08-28-2016, 07:52 PM
ralt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless in your galaxy you have emission inspections like calif...... drop it. We did inspections here in memphis for a number of years. I had motor rebuilt during this time and it ran better with lower emssions AFTER the rebuild.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:01 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Bumping this because I don't plan to auction my 3.6 anytime soon, and I have the smog pump in my hand right now. It has a shaved clear belt and was not turning when I passed CA smog check recently.

I do not particularly want to reinstall it so that it will draw power, maybe break, and block me next time I try to replace an injector or spark plug or pull the valve cover off...

Can I just cap off everything connecting on the vacuum side in the intake system, and plug the spider tubes? Cap off any vacuum lines, and cap off the spiders? Anything else? Do I also remove the change-over valves and diverter valves and just plug their vac lines?

Last edited by wicks; 10-05-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:32 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Why not?
When I still was running a cat I capped the air port off (which actually makes the cat non-functional, btw). That and removing the belt and all the vacuum lines was all I had to do in addition to removing the spider.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:19 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Decided to leave everything installed (just with no belt). For now. Who knows, maybe without the pump I will fail a CA smog test some time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deletion of emissions system on 3.3L?