964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Mod or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:26 PM
keynes
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Mod or not

I like the car. It makes the right noises (with bypass, hehe). I love the 964 look but wife and I have a hard time fitting in.

Let me ask you all. Should I mod it?

Rims, it sits too tall and it should have speedlines or similar knockoffs.

Seating position, awkward. Need a steering wheel closer in.

Seats, too high. Need something lower.

Transmission, geared too high. Need lower 2d gear.

Is it worth making a bunch of changes or should I just get a 997 pdk?

And these mods still won't make the wife happy I'm sure.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2016, 10:38 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

get a 997
you have too many complaints and probably want a modern car.
Good luck.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:04 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by keynes
I like the car. It makes the right noises (with bypass, hehe). I love the 964 look but wife and I have a hard time fitting in.

Thanks
I bought barely used a '91 964 Turbo in 1993 and had all sorts of complaints about the car but kept driving it until 2001. Bought a new 2001 996 TT, what a great car and loved it. I was so happy to have gotten rid of that 964 Turbo for about 6 months and then I started to regret it. In 2007 I bought a new 997 TT but kept looking back. It took me another 8 years to buy another 964 Turbo. IMHO: The best looking Porsche (except the 935) and I am not selling again, even though I bought a bad car and spending a ton re-doing it.

If you can work it, keep the 964 and buy a 997TT and enjoy the "modern" features. But they also need "improvements"...
If you need 997TT advice PM me.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:54 AM
keynes
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm at the point where I'm going all out to make it livable for me or I'm going to get something newer. Status quo is not happening. I like Paul's mods.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:51 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Whatever you do, make sure it's easily reversible (except for the powertrain stuff, obviously).
My son and I are both over 6 feet tall, wear a XL suit coat (we're wide up top) and don't bump shoulders in my Turbo, so how much room do you really need?
Old 03-30-2016, 12:00 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 658 Posts

Sounds like most of your complaints are regarding the body positioning in driver seat.

Rim changes are easy & reversible.

Tranny gearing also not that hard (assuming you have a good Indy tranny guy), and can be an expensive change (esp if you decide to sell & want to change back again),... but also reversible. So that seems it could be lower on the priority list.

It sounds like the #1 issue & priority for you would be the Steering Wheel Column - I am not aware of adjustable (telescoping & tilt) aftermarket available for the 964T. Tackle that first.

Since your list is not an easy one, and you have personal decisions to make, based on difficulty, cost, availability, and reversibility - I kinda agree with Dan. If you are not married to the 964T body style (which may trump all other), and you are really a performance guy,... seems it would be a lot easier to move to a newer platform.

=Steve
Old 03-30-2016, 10:40 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Tranny gearing also not that hard (assuming you have a good Indy tranny guy), and can be an expensive change (esp if you decide to sell & want to change back again),... but also reversible. So that seems it could be lower on the priority list.

It sounds like the #1 issue & priority for you would be the Steering Wheel Column - I am not aware of adjustable (telescoping & tilt) aftermarket available for the 964T. Tackle that first.
I'd think short ratios would be a selling point. Wish my car had them.
If the steering wheel needs to be closer, there are aftermarket solutions that can move it toward the driver.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:31 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been a very long time but, I think I used a "raised hub" from some model 944 to address the steering wheel position. Someone will probably jump in with the specifics.

Gary
Old 04-05-2016, 08:49 PM
ralt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new wife??
Old 04-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ralt
new wife??
Yeah and go younger too
Old 04-07-2016, 01:38 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

That's why the wifey and I usually take her car when we go places. My cars are fun for me. Not us.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
That's why the wifey and I usually take her car when we go places. My cars are fun for me. Not us.
I've owned my Turbo for 10 years and my wife has still not driven it and won't because, as she says, "if something happened while I was driving it I'd never hear the end of it". True.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:36 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 658 Posts

My wife drives our 3.3Turbo,... a LOT,... and I say to her "if something happens to it while I'm driving,... you'll never hear the end of it".
Old 04-11-2016, 11:46 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keynes

Thanks
I'm not sure a 997 is significantly bigger than a 964 inside. Steering wheel is relatively easy to move closer. You won't get the performance of a new car in something that is 25 years old without insane money. If you can't enjoy the car for what it is then you probably should sell IMO. You may be better off in a Cayenne turbo based on your requirements.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:43 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

It sounds like the newer platform is calling you.. could not go that direction myself, but a very personal decision.

My experience with 964 mods:

Ratios: swapped 2nd-5th ratios much tighter (stock tranny). Single biggest difference to the performance of the car IMO (car never off boost once on it).

Cat/Muffler combo: easy to swap/swap back, can be tricky to get the right combo of sound/performance without being obnoxious. Sports cat + swans neck my favorite combo.

Headers/HF turbo: difficult for me to isolate the impact here above/beyond ratios+exhaust. If I was to do it over, I would do ratio's and exhaust first.. and evaluate from there.

Suspension/wheels: lower ride height and RH/speedline derivative is non negotiable IMO. Car looks so much better.

Seat position: I'm 6'4 and have the seats mounted on the lower mounting holes and it is comfortable. Difference of 1-2" if I remember correctly and an easy change.

Steering wheel: swapped to smaller nicer porsche wheel. Easy and relatively cheap change.

Hope this helps..

Quick Reply: Mod or not