Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some faster laps with litle traffic

Old 05-27-2018, 06:25 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice action.

The factory R&P in my 930 is a 3.44. Suspect that is that the same ratio [9:31] carried over to the 965? Based on your speed/gear, you must be running a motorsport/aftermarket final drive...what ratio, and what manufacturer?
Old 05-28-2018, 03:51 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Nice action.

The factory R&P in my 930 is a 3.44. Suspect that is that the same ratio [9:31] carried over to the 965? Based on your speed/gear, you must be running a motorsport/aftermarket final drive...what ratio, and what manufacturer?
Thanks

I run a stock 993TT gear box
Coupled with the biturbo engine 650nm of torque and relatively low weight I don't need a lot of 2nd gear !

My tyres where bad, especially the fronts. With fresh ones I guess i can cut half a second or more.... Next time may be !
Old 05-28-2018, 03:57 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Old 05-28-2018, 11:26 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Hey Vince,...

I gotta say, that even though this sub-forum really doesn't require a "subscribe", since we have so few posts & threads going on at once. Easy to keep tabs...

But I've read, re-read, watched, re-watched the video's, and looked at your car MANY times. It's an escape for me. Thank you for that.

And the more questions from all you guys to him,... seems to stoke him on. Keep em coming!!

Thanks again for posting,
=Steve
Old 05-29-2018, 06:28 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Hey Vince,...

I gotta say, that even though this sub-forum really doesn't require a "subscribe", since we have so few posts & threads going on at once. Easy to keep tabs...

But I've read, re-read, watched, re-watched the video's, and looked at your car MANY times. It's an escape for me. Thank you for that.

And the more questions from all you guys to him,... seems to stoke him on. Keep em coming!!

Thanks again for posting,
=Steve

Cheers !

I have a few more trackdays planned this season with the turbo.
The limiting factor is that it runs at 105db, to high for most tracks. I have some plans to fix that for next year.
For quiet days I "have to" take out one of the other cars, so sad ;-)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:16 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

I love that your'e driving your 964 Turbo hard, I remember the Brumos and Kelly Moss 964 Turbo race cars, What has been the most challenging thing about driving this car on the track and what do you think is the cars weakness ? What kinda boost are you running ? Do you have a modified fuel system ?

Thank you
Helio
Old 05-31-2018, 03:55 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by heliolps2
I love that your'e driving your 964 Turbo hard, I remember the Brumos and Kelly Moss 964 Turbo race cars, What has been the most challenging thing about driving this car on the track and what do you think is the cars weakness ? What kinda boost are you running ? Do you have a modified fuel system ?

Thank you
Helio
At the moment I have a 993TT engine and gear box in it. Stage 1 FVD dynoed at 435HP, 650nm of torque. Boost is at 1 bar. Simple set up.
With this engine it is not a very difficult car to drive relatively fast.
The lag is minimal, most of the time not a factor.
I think the balance at the limit is a bit difficult. You have to have faith in your skills. Ratio between power and grip is more challenging compared to athmo cars with lower torque.
I run 295 rears, it is fine but it's still easy to overwhelm the tyres in 2nd. Need to be careful (hence not much action in 2nd gear for me).
It doesn't happen as easilly in a car with 450nm of torque and close to the same HP and wider track and tyres like for ex my previous 997Gt3RS Gen1. That thing was really planted on the rear wheels.
The other one is that it's snappy. You need to know your car very well. Know when it is likely to slide before it slides. If you get surprised it's difficult to catch the return slide.
I don't have the best car controls... bad things happen to me when the drift angle gets to big ! I guess this goes for most pre 993 911s however.
And it's ok to lift the throttle a little bit mid corner but to much on/off and things will happen there as well.

Back when I ran a 3,3 turbo at 0,9b boost, headers, hybrid turbo, race cat set up with around 360hp or so the lag and on/off nature of the engine was a challenge.
Completely different driving style. It was basically full gas as soon as the braking was done then modulate gas when the boost came then commit as much as you dare and hope for the best ;-)
I could have built that engine instead of going TT. May be I will. Or may be I ll grow up

When I compare to the 996 and 997s I have driven I find the 996GT3/CUP is a fantastically balanced car. Much more forgiving at the limit. The "snappyness" is gone, easier to control slides, easier to push to the limit.
The 997s are difficult to set up. And I have yet to track a 991.

The weakness nber1 today compared to the modern ones is the gearbox. Put a sequential gearbox in that thing and it keeps up with a 991GT3 I think. What I loose in top end power and grip I gain in torque and weight.
I could make more power but I run short tracks and I would not want more power if I it means more lag.

Quick Reply: Still going strong - Turbo at the track