Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Removal of side skirt in front of rear fenders and protection film?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 PM
EbbeJ
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of side skirt in front of rear fenders and protection film?

Hi guys,

I hope you're willing to help me on this one. I'm a detailer, and I was asked to do a paint correction on a 964 Turbo. I mentioned to the owner that the film should be replaced, as it's currently yellow, cracked and matte(not intentionally).

He wants me to remove the film and have it corrected properly, before the film is reinstalled. The film seems to go beneath the side skirt, so that will need removal before I'm able to pull off the film.

What's the best way to remove this part?

Anyone with experience with removing the film, please comment

And yes, the side skirts will be needing a respray - plan is to get it done over the winter.

Kind regards,

Ebbe
Old 11-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Remove the wheel & wheelhouse. There are two 10 mm nylon nuts holding the upper part of the shark fin and 2-3 grommets. Remove the nuts and pop the grommets out of their receivers.
As for the film, a heat gun and patience will do the trick; it will be slow going.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2014, 03:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 339 Posts

Be very patient and methodical when removing the protective film. Definitely use heat. Don't ask me how I know

Also, I suggest you source new film before taking the old ones off. I ordered mine from PP. Only three arrived and they were out of stock. The only saving grace is that it's a 3M film and I now have templates (the backing paper) to make my own.

I posted a thread on this a few months back. Can't see how to link using the iPad app.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Also, I suggest you source new film before taking the old ones off. I ordered mine from PP.
Also, any local clear bra applicator will be able to supply new film cut to the correct shape in Expel or 3M material.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:12 PM
ralt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3m makes a product to help remove the film and glue that will be left behind once you get the film off. check with an auto motive paint store
Old 11-21-2014, 11:28 PM
ralt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow up..."3m general purpose adhesive cleaner" #08984. 1 qt will do
Old 11-23-2014, 06:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by EbbeJ
Hi guys,

I hope you're willing to help me on this one. I'm a detailer, and I was asked to do a paint correction on a 964 Turbo. I mentioned to the owner that the film should be replaced, as it's currently yellow, cracked and matte(not intentionally).

He wants me to remove the film and have it corrected properly, before the film is reinstalled. The film seems to go beneath the side skirt, so that will need removal before I'm able to pull off the film.

What's the best way to remove this part?

Anyone with experience with removing the film, please comment

And yes, the side skirts will be needing a respray - plan is to get it done over the winter.

Kind regards,

Ebbe
I would cover the rockers and fins with film as well. Although allow it to cure for as long as possible before applying.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I would cover the rockers and fins with film as well. Although allow it to cure for as long as possible before applying.
Anthony, wasn't that standard? The missing piece for me was a fin film. PP had the rocker covers.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Anthony, wasn't that standard? The missing piece for me was a fin film. PP had the rocker covers.
No the only factory film was the one pictured over the wheel arches. Someone must have added the other later on your car. Mine had it installed by the owner form new along with the front hood and front wheel arch fronts, under the front headlights and mirrors.

Rocker covers became a big problem with the earlier 3.3's they added the stone guards behind the front wheel arches to compensate for it in 94.

Ebbe's car apparently did not have it as well and someone used a petroleum product (more than once) on the arch film which will make it difficult to remove. heat will help but that looks like a couple of hour job removing an 1/8" at a time.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Thànks. Perversely that means I don't need to search for the missing film to have the correct equipment level.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thànks. Perversely that means I don't need to search for the missing film to have the correct equipment level.
It would appear i misled you. Although 90% of the turbos I have seen did not have film on the lower fin section apparently there is a part number listed in the PET for the turbos only

965 559 328 00 R side and 965 559 327 00 left side.

They also offered it in polar silver and white part number ending in 01 with paint code.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Repost from my thread

If you are rejuvenating the sills and shark fin, it's likely that the protective plastic film stone guards are old and yellow.

Before you even start, weigh up the condition of the plastic film versus the risk of lifting clear coat and been worse, paint, when removing the old film. My car is a repaint and I speak from hard won experience that you don't want to go there unless you are sure of the paint quality. If you are convinced it needs to be done, then get a heat gun or hair dryer and do your best to warm the plastic and adhesive before you attempt to remove it. Do it slowly and carefully.

When the old film is off, clean the area well with a suitable liquid. I use panel shop wax and grease remover.

You then need to source new plastic. The OEM numbers are:

Upper left 965-559-325-00-3YK-M260
Upper right 965-559-326-00-3YK-M260
Lower left 965-559-327-00-3YK-M260
Lower right 965-559-328-00-3YK-M260

The total cost from PP is USD 171. Not knocking them, as it's an OEM product but heck that's expensive for less than a square metre of plastic film. I have kept the paper backing as a template and will talk to the local 3M rep to source some plastic.

Placing the film is not that tricky if you do the following:

1. Wet the area to be fitted with a solution of water and a drop of washing liquid or similar

2. Use latex gloves when removing the backing, to avoid finger prints.

3. With the backing removed, place the film in the rough position.

4. Gently slide the decal into the correct position and start to work out bubbles etc with a sponge. I used one that has a nylon pot scrubber backing. I used a very slight moist sponge. You want it it be firm enough to work out bubbles without damaging the film.

If you use the solution you will have plenty of chances to get the positioning right. Work methodically.

After that, fit the shark fins.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Gandara
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered my film at pelican parts...
Old 07-10-2015, 01:50 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Hey guys,
Hope you don't mind me digging up this older thread, but it seemed like the best place to ask this question (especially since this thread includes such great info, AND part numbers for others to take note)...

I am considering Xpel on my '91 964T (I currently have the Xpel Ultimate on my '12 CTT & love it). I didn't want to do it to the 964T earlier, since I wanted to "show" the car at PCA Parade in all it's raw bare naked self (paint) beauty. But since we still drive this thing, I'm thinking the prudent thing is to give it some protection.

If I were to wrap the whole car, how would I meet the new Xpel, with the existing Shark Fin? Just meet them face to face & leave the shark fin on there? (it is fairly new 3M in front of the rear fenders that was done only a couple years ago, so I don't really want to remove it).

Conversely of course, I could just wrap the front bumper, hood, fenders & mirrors & call it a day.

But I thought I would ask what others have done. Has anyone wrapped the entire 964T?
TIA,
=Steve
Old 07-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
If I were to wrap the whole car, how would I meet the new Xpel, with the existing Shark Fin? Just meet them face to face & leave the shark fin on there? (it is fairly new 3M in front of the rear fenders that was done only a couple years ago, so I don't really want to remove it).

Conversely of course, I could just wrap the front bumper, hood, fenders & mirrors & call it a day.

But I thought I would ask what others have done. Has anyone wrapped the entire 964T?
TIA,
=Steve
If I understand you correctly, wrapping the "whole" car should involve removal of the existing wrap. There should be no issue to butt the new film against the shark fin. I have only wrapped the bumper, hood, fender (partial) and mirrors.

Quick Reply: Removal of side skirt in front of rear fenders and protection film?