Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Michelin Pilot Super Sports - any BTDT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Super Sports - any BTDT?

Is anybody here running Michelin Pilot Super Sports? How do you like them? Any input appreciated.

About to pull the trigger on some new tires and am leaning in that direction.
Thinking 285/35 rr and would like to do 235/40 fr but I understand that gets complicated so will just stick with 225/40.....

Yes I realize many love the PS2's - really just interested in feedback on the Super Sports - thanks!!

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 05-14-2013, 08:07 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I have heard nothing but great comments on the Super Sports, if they were available in my size that would have been my first choice. I ended up getting PS2's and have no complaints. Hopefully next time they will have my size.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm the same as tony. I've had ps2s on every car I've owned.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 91 turbo I just bought have them on and last summer I put the super sports on my 07 gt3 rs.

On my rs the ss's are better in rain but if you are tracking the car the ss's are garbage compared to sport cups.....on turns the ss doesn't give me the confidence that I had with the ps.

For the 91 turbo they are fine- good grip and better rain tire but I don't drive my turbo into turns the way I would my rs on the road - still trying to learn the cars driving characteristics.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:10 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys.
The car had some very worn Pilot Sports on when I bought it -and needed rears - bad. So I bought some Hankook Ventus R12 tires last fall - having really liked some of their other tires (and hearing positive comments from guys I know who run them on their Porsches) and thinking I could get 95% of the performance of the Michelin for 70% of the price....but I hate these tires.
When canyon carving - I turn the wheel and there is a delay. I'm thinking they have a high slip angle maybe?? The car just seems to float around a lot. Not confidence inspiring.

Hopefully the Super Sports will bring the stability and precision back.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
On my rs the ss's are better in rain but if you are tracking the car the ss's are garbage compared to sport cups.....on turns the ss doesn't give me the confidence that I had with the ps.
Can you clarify your comparison here? You started off by comparing the SS to the SC (which is not a fair comparison by any stretch), but then comment that the PS gave you greater confidence. So, you thought the PS was a better overall tire than the SS?

Brandon, you know I just made the same leap that you are considering (V12s to SS) and I have been happy so far. Not too many miles under my belt, but pretty pleased considering how much cheaper the SS is over the PS. I also like the fact that I went from a 305 in the rear to a 285 and don't feel like I lost any traction. I'll report back when I have more miles.

FYI, Michelin is offering a $70 rebate for the next week.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ns.do?pgid=771
Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BLT4SPD
Originally Posted by RR
Can you clarify your comparison here? You started off by comparing the SS to the SC (which is not a fair comparison by any stretch), but then comment that the PS gave you greater confidence. So, you thought the PS was a better overall tire than the SS?

Brandon, you know I just made the same leap that you are considering (V12s to SS) and I have been happy so far. Not too many miles under my belt, but pretty pleased considering how much cheaper the SS is over the PS. I also like the fact that I went from a 305 in the rear to a 285 and don't feel like I lost any traction. I'll report back when I have more miles.

FYI, Michelin is offering a $70 rebate for the next week.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ns.do?pgid=771
Sorry I meant to say sc for sport cups not ps.

The ss - super sports - are "crap" compared to sport cups, but I don't drive my turbo the way I drive my rs. The sport cups make my rs feel like its on rails in turns and the super sports don't. I actually scared myself with the ss the first time taking a turn on a highway off ramp that I was used to taking at a certain speed with the sport cups and I had to take a wider turn thank god for the second lane.

The super sports are good enough for my turbo bc they give great wet weather grip but the next time my rs needs new tires the sport cups are going back on.

Trending Topics

Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
Sorry I meant to say sc for sport cups not ps.

The ss - super sports - are "crap" compared to sport cups, but I don't drive my turbo the way I drive my rs. The sport cups make my rs feel like its on rails in turns and the super sports don't. I actually scared myself with the ss the first time taking a turn on a highway off ramp that I was used to taking at a certain speed with the sport cups and I had to take a wider turn thank god for the second lane.

The super sports are good enough for my turbo bc they give great wet weather grip but the next time my rs needs new tires the sport cups are going back on.
I guess I would reiterate my original point then: the MPSC and MPSS are not comparable tires. They were conceived, born, built and intended for VERY different purposes. I would agree 100% that the SC inspires more confidence, but at the cost of tread life, road noise and well, cost.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
I turn the wheel and there is a delay. I'm thinking they have a high slip angle maybe?? The car just seems to float around a lot. Not confidence inspiring.
Try increasing the front pressure by 2 psi. This will stiffen the side wall a little.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT4SPD
I guess I would reiterate my original point then: the MPSC and MPSS are not comparable tires. They were conceived, born, built and intended for VERY different purposes. I would agree 100% that the SC inspires more confidence, but at the cost of tread life, road noise and well, cost.
Exactly. The sport cups are a track tire, not really meant for the street, and they turn to crap when it's cold out. Honestly, if you are exceeding the grip of the MPSS tires, you're probably driving the car inappropriately for public roads.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:47 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Super Sport is definitely a top rated tire. It's at the top of a very short list of tires that 99% of buyers love everything about. They definitely hit this one out of the park.

If interested in a set or have questions, please give me a call.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:25 PM
ralt
Racer

The super sports work just fine. I did 225 and 275. The rears are much cheaper in that size and I wont go any slower or faster. I also find the wear rate is better than the pilot sport. Discussion of 'cup' tires is not relevent. They are a high wear, low life cycle track tire. Of course, if you have thousands of dollars to spend every six months so you drive them on the street, go for it.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:31 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

I pulled the trigger on the Super Sports about two weeks ago. I'm a happy guy - the stability has returned - no more wallowing on mushy sidewalls. I went with 225/40 and 285/35 as another goal was to decrease harshness in back over expansion cracks. Accomplished. these tires are quieter than the Hankooks, too.

Highly recommend these tires.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:21 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Taller rears

Has anyone been happy with the 285/35/18's, they're 1'' taller than 285/30's, but will give a little more top end.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Look at my last post :-). I went with 285/35. I don't care about top speed at all - I went with 285/30 on my last set to keep from gearing the car even taller - but now that I'm back on 285/35s I can't really tell - but will say the ride is definitely less harsh over the rough stuff. So yes - I'm happy with 285/35

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sports - any BTDT?