Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Rarlyl8 headers

Old 10-20-2013, 06:28 PM
laxen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience Spartan! Interesting to read.

I've been told by Brian (Rarlyl8) that the only modifications required for fitting the 930 headers to a 965 is:
1) replacing the hard heat tube with scat tubing
2 modification to the wastegate cat/bypass pipe, since it it is not at the exact angle needed for the OEM tailpipe.
3) Replacing the 965 oil tank with an yearly 930 type oil tank.

Do these modifications sound familiar to you Spartan? Did you also have to do modifications to the *right* side of the exhaust, i.e. after the turbo?

Is it the sound level or the tone (tune?) of the exhaust that you don't like at idle? Is the exhaust note better at higher RPM (compared to OEM headers)?

Anyone else who has installed Rarlyl8 headers on a 965?

Originally Posted by Spartan
I got the car back from surgery a few weeks ago and so far the headers seem to be fine. Don't like the exhaust note at all at idle and I didn't put the heater boxes on as the hung pretty low. This was the first exhaust for the 965 and they told me it wouldn't fit right since they didn't have a 965 to mock it up on. The were right and it took some cutting and welding to get the stick tips to fit in the bumper. They still stick out too much but that's a winter project. AS for the heating I'm making a box around the muffler outlet and hooking up the heater hoses there.

For the price the are good headers just beware you will have to spend time getting the post header exhaust to fit up correctly
Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM
laxen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems installing Rarly headers on 965

I eventually ordered a complete exhaust package for my 965 from Rarlyl8, which included headers, WG bypass pipe, back dated 930 oil tank, oil lines and a 965 muffler. As far as I understod, replacing the OEM oil lines/tank was recommended or even neccesary for fitting Rarly heders on a 965.

The car and all the parts are currently at my workshop for installation. The OEM headers/exhaust have been removed and my mechanic is now about to install the new stuff. However, he called me and stated that neither the oil lines provided by Rarly or the OEM oil lines will fit bolt-on with the Rarly headers

Spartan: what oil lines etc. did you use when installing your Rarly headers? Do you have any images/description of how you went about? Anyone else who has experience installing Rarly headers on a 965?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the factory oil line for the case with some small modifications. The headers will rub on that line so you have to brace it up and away. I also used the factory sump hardline with a metric to AN fitting for the sump.

Wait until you try and get the exhaust tips to fit correctly and match from side to side. That was expensive...

All in all I was not very impressed in the end. Welds were not back purged and needed a lot of cleaning. About what you would expect for headers in the $2500 range. I also don't buy into the equal length band wagon for turbo headers. Boost onset was longer than with the shorty headers and the wastegate design can't keep up with at GTX35r on a built motor and caused boost surge. They sound just like any other header except the S pipe caused a strange resonance from outside the car that I'm glad to be rid of.

I like the shorties much better especially with real heater boxes. Not trying to start anything and nothing against the company they treated me fine its just my honest opinion after running them for a year. I think on a mildly modded stock motor they are fine and the heater boxes do work enough for some heat in cooler weather.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
All in all I was not very impressed in the end. Welds were not back purged and needed a lot of cleaning. About what you would expect for headers in the $2500 range. I also don't buy into the equal length band wagon for turbo headers. Boost onset was longer than with the shorty headers and the wastegate design can't keep up with at GTX35r on a built motor and caused boost surge. They sound just like any other header except the S pipe caused a strange resonance from outside the car that I'm glad to be rid of.

I like the shorties much better especially with real heater boxes. Not trying to start anything and nothing against the company they treated me fine its just my honest opinion after running them for a year. I think on a mildly modded stock motor they are fine and the heater boxes do work enough for some heat in cooler weather.
Josh, thanks for posting this. I totally forgot that that you were buying those headers.
After reading this I have suddenly become much happier with my Bishoff 993 heat exchanger based, dual wastegate header setup.
It seemed to make good engineering sense that the RarlyL8 system would be superior but apparently that isn't the case.
Often I thought that it would be superior to have boost available earlier from a shorty header than scavenging effect off boost at low engine speed but I couldn't convince myself of that 100% until now.
I was able to design and have fabbed up everything I needed to get the tips to come out of the bumpers straight. I re-used the stock tips (had them polished) so that helped a little. I bought a GSF turbo catch tank and modded it to fit. Also, I went to a backdated oil line and made a short oil line to connect up with the stock system in the r/h fender.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:06 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how all of Spartans comments sound like my customers that had that system installed. NEVER again!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

That is Holsett.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rarlyl8 headers