Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turbo-forum-79/)
-   -   k-29 Turbo (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turbo-forum/71451-k-29-turbo.html)

Ian964 12-20-2002 11:31 AM

k-29 Turbo

My Turbo came with a k-29, whats the difference in lag between a k-29 and k-27. Is there a turbo that is better then the k-29 like maybe a Garrett? I want something with close to the same power but not as much lag.

How big of a deal is it to install a new turbo? Do you have to take the engine out of the car?

jimrd 12-23-2002 08:37 PM

I can speak from personal experience that a Garrett conversion is complex and costly. I first went with a K-29 but it only lasted 3000 miles before the seals failed and it started to smoke massivley. I wanted an equal or better performing turbo with more durability - We had a Garrett built for the application. It was hardly a bolt on proposition. Due to differences in oiling mechanics and requiremnets, the Garrett turbo requires alot of modifications to the car to make it work properly. If you don't have to pass emissions, it's a fairly simple install. If you have to leave all of the smog stuff on, it becomes a log order more complicated. After 4 months and 6000 dollars invested, I gave up. Partly because I have bought a 996tt and want to prepare my 964 turbo for sale. I had the original k-27 put back on. I still have the Garrett turbo if anyone is interested - I just ran out of patience and time. Potentially, at least on paper, the Garrett turbo should spool faster than a K-29 and flow more air - should be good for in excess of 500hp with other appropriate mods to the engine. You do not have to pull the engine to change the turbo in a 964.
Hope this helps - Jim

Ian964 12-23-2002 10:37 PM

Ouch that sucks about the k-29, anyone else have info on how long their k-29 lasted. I hope mine is good for awhile. What about compairing the k-29 to the k-27, do you notice a big difference.

jimrd 12-24-2002 01:39 AM

depends somewhat on the particular K-29 - there are different configurations available. In most cases, larger turbos require longer spool time - as you know. Design differences can somewhat compensate for larger size. My k-29 was from Powerhaus; they claim to alter the K-29 to make it spool as fast as a k-27. Both turbos seem to really slam on the power around 3500-3800rpm and pull to near redline. There is alot more power with the k-29 it seems - no dyno numbers for comparison. I did not notice appreciably more lag with the k-29. Jim

KeithC2Turto 12-24-2002 02:13 PM

KKK turbos are accepted as being the most reliale for Porsche.

If you like the Garrett idea, Koklen.com has invested in having their own custom castings made that uses the Garret wheels & center section. Suposed to bolt up like stock. You can even get a ball bearing option.

Autostream 12-27-2002 11:11 PM

my KKK K-29 solved all my problems that my garrett turbo created!

B420Ady 03-27-2019 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by jimrd (Post 590422)
I can speak from personal experience that a Garrett conversion is complex and costly. I first went with a K-29 but it only lasted 3000 miles before the seals failed and it started to smoke massivley. I wanted an equal or better performing turbo with more durability - We had a Garrett built for the application. It was hardly a bolt on proposition. Due to differences in oiling mechanics and requiremnets, the Garrett turbo requires alot of modifications to the car to make it work properly. If you don't have to pass emissions, it's a fairly simple install. If you have to leave all of the smog stuff on, it becomes a log order more complicated. After 4 months and 6000 dollars invested, I gave up. Partly because I have bought a 996tt and want to prepare my 964 turbo for sale. I had the original k-27 put back on. I still have the Garrett turbo if anyone is interested - I just ran out of patience and time. Potentially, at least on paper, the Garrett turbo should spool faster than a K-29 and flow more air - should be good for in excess of 500hp with other appropriate mods to the engine. You do not have to pull the engine to change the turbo in a 964.
Hope this helps - Jim

I have 2 kkk k29 turbos laying around, unfortunately my car is a Bmw 530d e39, I guess it will be pointless to put a K29 on my daily diesel.
I wish I had money to get a Garret GT2260V.

Another ideea I was thinking to do is to convert a K29 turbo to a mechanic compresor and add it to the car maybe without taking out the factory turbo and also add a water methanol injection kit. What do you think about this?

bweSteve 03-27-2019 10:20 AM

Is this a turbo FS ad? .. or a BMW post? ... either way, from the original thread in 2002, all the way to now in 2019, this brings new meaning in attempt to bring a dead thread back to,.. well possibly into a coma. Lol. Sorry B420Ady, I just couldn't resist. For your #1 first post here, I could not let you off the hook. I think this was a google search & posting for the first time, without knowing that the Porsche 964 Turbo sub-forum is a underground cultish back office card game by invitation only. Hahaha,... I crack myself up.
.... all in good fun Mr Beamer 420.

Anyhoooo,... I must at least thank B420Ady for at least taking the time to create a Rennlist account, and drumming up this old thread,... cuz I at least enjoyed reading some old posts by Ian. Has anyone seen him, jimrd, or KeithC2Turbo in a looong time? I bet they probably sold their 964T's a long time ago.

Anyone going to bite on his question of conversion & water injection?

=Steve

B420Ady 03-27-2019 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by bweSteve (Post 15732166)
Is this a turbo FS ad? .. or a BMW post? ... either way, from the original thread in 2002, all the way to now in 2019, this brings new meaning in attempt to bring a dead thread back to,.. well possibly into a coma. Lol. Sorry B420Ady, I just couldn't resist. For your #1 first post here, I could not let you off the hook. I think this is google trolling & posting for the first time, without knowing that the Porsche 964 Turbo sub-forum is a underground cultish back office card game by invitation only. Hahaha,... I crack myself up.
.... all in good fun Mr Beamer 420.

Anyhoooo,... I must at least thank B420Ady for at least taking the time to create a Rennlist account, and drumming up this old thread,... cuz I at least enjoyed reading some old posts by Ian. Has anyone seen him, jimrd, or KeithC2Turbo in a looong time? I bet they probably sold their 964T's a long time ago.

Anyone going to bite on his question of conversion & water injection?

=Steve

It was a post about the KKK K29 , not and ad or trolling. At most a bimmer post that might be bad music for you guys. Sorry, I did not wanted to intrude, but mr. google sent me to you as one of the only places were people actually know something about K29.
You made me curios whats your point of view on water meth injection ?
I have researched in the mean time about the conversion of the turbo in a supercharger and I won t ask anymore about that as I ve seen what problems are with that, and I ll just have to wait a bit more to get a GT2260v and do it as it sould be done.
PS: That red car you have its amazing !

bweSteve 03-27-2019 03:46 PM

Ok cool. I edited my comment to say google search (which is what I meant to say).

Re: Water Meth injection .. My nephew is into that with his VW (or a Miata,... hard to keep up with the cars he goes thru). I don't have first hand experience, and since my car scares the **** outta me pushing hard on the twisty mountain roads as it is, I don't need or want any more power in that car!!

All I gather from casual conversation at C&C's, is that it also depends on whether or not you are running a intercooler too,.. and injection prior to the cooler or just in front of the turbo can make a difference. And then the mixture and boost activation is important too, but I don't understand the ratios.

There are a couple other guys on this forum that are better engine builders than I. I'll bow to their knowledge & experience, and maybe they can help with caveats, concerns, or helpful hints.

=Steve

B420Ady 03-27-2019 05:13 PM

I was thinking before the turbo so I get the maximum cooling effect. I brought a Arduino kit some time ago, my plan was to make a boost controller / water meth injection controller in one unit so in case water is finished the boost its lowered also for protection, but I don t have enough knowledge to make the software for it. I ve got some others people codes that attempted the same thing, hope one day I will find someone to help me sort that one out.
I m curios how much power does your car have and how heavy it is?