964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Red Light on dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 06:28 PM
69COU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Red Light on dash

Having a good old drive down the M40 to Berkshire in the hot sun with air con on full suddenly the red lights ( Central light and fan belt light came on ) Switched off central warning light slowed down, turned off air con , but the other fan belt light stayed on for about 5 minutes. Eventully as i behan to worry light went out.

This repeated about 3 times every 15 minutes that day but no sign of any of the belts being loose or broken when i stopped.

It has not reoccured since or the next couple of times i have used the car since.

Not sure if i put it down to belt(s) slipping due to heat and having being driving through London traffic for about an hour and a half before about another hour on motorway (A bit faster!!)

If it is a belt slipping slightly will this cause any damage to the car in the short term.
Alternatively do i send it into garage before undertaking any long trips?
Old 06-25-2003, 11:44 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
It could be your belt tensioner going out. It is the small wheel that sits against the smaller belt on the left side, they are prone to failing.
Maverick
Old 06-25-2003, 11:45 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

I should have said belt tensioner sensor.
Maverick
Old 06-26-2003, 02:03 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is currently doing the same thing and Maverick has it exactly right. I can poke at sensor and the light goes out. Should be an easy replacement.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:53 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The most common problem with these sensors is not the actual sensor but the connector at the sensor. Do not replace the sensor and waste money until you have checked the connector. I have known a few people that have and the problem comes back. In the end they found corroded wiring inside the connector. There is a little microswitch activated by the arm. Give this a bit of a clean with contact cleaner as well. They can get filled up with general engine gunk.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 06-26-2003, 08:15 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had mine repalced due to the small wheel falling off! The part only cost $64.37 + labor
Maverick
Old 02-19-2017, 08:01 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
The most common problem with these sensors is not the actual sensor but the connector at the sensor. Do not replace the sensor and waste money until you have checked the connector. I have known a few people that have and the problem comes back. In the end they found corroded wiring inside the connector. There is a little microswitch activated by the arm. Give this a bit of a clean with contact cleaner as well. They can get filled up with general engine gunk.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
I've been having this issue of late. Light will go on and off intermittently. Engine temps seem to be relatively steady but it's obviously worrisome when it happens. Belt appears to be in good condition. What cleaner would everyone recommend before I buy a new sensor?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
I've been having this issue of late. Light will go on and off intermittently. Engine temps seem to be relatively steady but it's obviously worrisome when it happens. Belt appears to be in good condition. What cleaner would everyone recommend before I buy a new sensor?
Electrical contact cleaner. You probably could get a can from Amazon or an electrical supply house.
My experience is that once there's pitting or carbon on the contacts, the sensor is toast but it's worth a try.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:10 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Electrical contact cleaner. You probably could get a can from Amazon or an electrical supply house.
My experience is that once there's pitting or carbon on the contacts, the sensor is toast but it's worth a try.
Thanks Paul.

Haven't looked closely at the sensor, but does it need to come out or do I just have to pull the connection off the top and spray the contacts?

Old 02-20-2017, 04:02 PM
Max964t36
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

Had a problem with it many years ago ... removed = no problems anymore
Old 02-21-2017, 11:28 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonehead
Haven't looked closely at the sensor, but does it need to come out or do I just have to pull the connection off the top and spray the contacts?
All I've ever had to do to mine was lube the pulley.
Apparently you will be going where no other board member has gone when you disassemble it Just make sure that no tiny springs go flying into the different dimension that they always seem to travel to when disassembling.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

It is always wise to check your crank pulley for any wobble. My light came on once and the pulley had loosened and the belt broke the sensor. Luckily I caught it before it had damaged the crank end.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rstarga
It is always wise to check your crank pulley for any wobble. My light came on once and the pulley had loosened and the belt broke the sensor. Luckily I caught it before it had damaged the crank end.
Good catch. I hadn't thought about that.
Wonder why Porsche didn't use a Locktite patch on that bolt.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:50 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
A pencil eraser works wonders for cleaning carbon from pin contacts although it can take some finagling. The inside is simple cherry switch and a large spring. I have photos posted here but the Rennlist member sites are down for the moment.

Quick Reply: Red Light on dash