964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Selling the 964 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 06:44 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Selling the 964 Turbo

The time has come to sell my baby and I'm just putting it out here as a quick little feeler to the enthusiast. Most likely will put on Autotrader and then BaT. I am going to bring it in next week and have a quick mechanical rundown done on it: oil change, a/c recharge, inspection, etc. and then make moves to sell. Was a lot of fun and a wonderful car but after nearly 4 years and 1k miles it's time to go. Not sure what to ask either...52k miles, Slate Grey, custom Slate Grey interior (from the factory), sport seats, 1 owner (before me), no accidents. Really a beautiful car. Totally stock except exhaust and stereo head unit. Thinking asking $170k but very uncertain where the market is.

The following users liked this post:
dmaddox (01-14-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 07:06 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

sberger, This is your car correct?

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...are-color.html

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...4-turbo-coupe/

If my memory serves, you bought it from freshh786 back in 2018.

I know this car well, and have seen it several times in person when it was owned by the Doctor here on the eastern shore of Maryland. I also crawled around the car when it was on consignment at Bruce Wakefield's CPR shop (Classic Porsche Restoration) in Easton MD, and have written about the car.

Good luck with your sale! I agree with you that it is a strange time to be selling / buying, and estimating market prices. So hard to determine what they are worth!!
=Steve
Old 01-05-2022, 07:14 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Yes, that is the car. With that in mind, when I got the car it was not in the greatest condition primarily due to neglect. I did a full engine out service to correct any and all mechanical issues, pulled the bumpers and side skirts off and had them painted, corrected the "smile issue," rebuilt the brakes, suspension, new clutch, new rubber between all body panels, refinished wheels, new tires, etc. I did a lot of work myself but sent it out for the heavy stuff. Overall, the car now has a few stone chips as to be expected but runs flawlessly and pulls strong. From when I took delivery to now it is night and day, you wouldn't recognize this baby if you saw it previously. I honestly don't know where the market is but I don't think I'm far off. There is no supply and heavy demand so I figure BaT is where it will sell (if it sells).

I have too many toys right now and don't play with them enough. I am looking to getting back into racing so am going to lighten the load to make room for that.
bweSteve (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 09:01 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

That is a fantastic looking car, great color combo, and I think that $170k in the current environment is a fair asking. I remember that you did a lot of work to it. And we have all seen some ugly, historied turds, and imports trade for more than that.

You should take some professional pictures, document everything well, and put it on BAT. I sold 2 not expensive cars on BAT in 2021, it was easy for good cars.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:07 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Good luck with the sale.
I've been following the path regarding reconditioning along with a little hot rodding. I was fortunate in that the PO of my car had started to process (yet, I will have done away with all his little touches, like a custom interior, sometime this year).
Given the current market, I'm thinking you could get a little more than $170k; I'd try $190k.
The following 2 users liked this post by Metal Guru:
cobalt (03-23-2022), LOMartin (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 11:41 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I understand what you're saying about doing some work. Fortunately, this car just needed a whole lot of TLC which I brought to the table. I mildly restored an '86 930 and a 968 so I had some experience taking it apart and doing the work. Also, the only non-stock parts on the car are the exhaust and radio (which doesn't work) so that's all good. BaT has a very long wait time to get live which is ok as I have an appointment next week to do some maintenance. I am pretty annoyed because one of the wheels fell on its face while I was working on the car and they are refinished so I have to send that back out. I almost cried when I heard the crunch of paint against the driveway!

Maybe in a couple of months these will be at $200k. I can only hope. But BaT is pretty bad with low reserves and I had a miserable experience selling my 14k mile 300ZX TT that cost me a weeks worth of sleep and perhaps a month of my life due to the reserve and their policies. But I'll try again. I'll keep this thread alive as I get closer.
LOMartin (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 03:19 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

This should be a decent indicator of the market.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-911-turbo-34/
Old 01-07-2022, 04:09 AM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

that is a complete crazy market. over here, in the home of this beauties, the newest value lists reduced the values (all conditions) about 10 to 15%. and the cars do not sell really good. only few dealers ask crazy prices.

mad world!
Old 01-07-2022, 01:03 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Good Luck with selling your 965, great color combo.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:12 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
This should be a decent indicator of the market.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-911-turbo-34/
Great car, love it, There are a few small things, It's missing the heater hose on the passenger side from the heat exchanger to the chassis, The oil tubes were changed only one side of the engine. and by the looks of the valve cover nuts, it hasn't had a valve job done in a while. and it may not need it, who knows? The Break fluid in the reservoir looks nasty in the last pic. Needs a complete flush. Some didn't keep up with the service. Still, a nice-looking car.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:58 PM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 66 Posts

I say hold onto it you will regret it the market is going to go crazy this summer
The time has come to sell my baby and I'm just putting it out here as a quick little feeler to the enthusiast. Most likely will put on Autotrader and then BaT. I am going to bring it in next week and have a quick mechanical rundown done on it: oil change, a/c recharge, inspection, etc. and then make moves to sell. Was a lot of fun and a wonderful car but after nearly 4 years and 1k miles it's time to go. Not sure what to ask either...52k miles, Slate Grey, custom Slate Grey interior (from the factory), sport seats, 1 owner (before me), no accidents. Really a beautiful car. Totally stock except exhaust and stereo head unit. Thinking asking $170k but very uncertain where the market is.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:48 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I am pretty annoyed because one of the wheels fell on its face while I was working on the car and they are refinished so I have to send that back out. I almost cried when I heard the crunch of paint against the driveway!
I feel your pain.
Four years ago, I was returning from Roush, unloading my wheels after they had mounted and balanced my new tires with their high tech road load balancer. My wife was talking to me which caused me to drop one of my rears face-first onto the driveway. Totally my own fault, I might add.
Back to Roush, dismount the tire and wait 40 days for Jim Dorociak to produce a new outer rim. Disassemble the wheel (40 bolts and nuts and separate the halves that are sealed together with silicone) wait fore the outer, put it all together and re-mount/balance the assembly.
It's funny how every summer some project takes me into July It will be the same this year as I refurbish my interior.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:23 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Definitely BaT, and the beauty there is of course you don't have to guess what it's worth, the bidders will tell you. Second getting great photos done that show everything - the more the merrier - will change the value a lot.
heliolps2 (01-09-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 01:01 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Honestly, I would wait for this current crisis to settle.
Our Government is spending like crazy , the debt is growing and that Crazy Make America better Trillions may pass.add to that other economic issues (there are many)
Money may become worthless due to inflation.
Hard assets are a good bet in these times.

From My professional point of view things look pretty Grim in the Network Security Field and we are one attack/Malware away from the lights going out.

I have been offered Crazy Money for my Car (Cars) but my Wife (Financial Planner) said what will we do with the money ? What if the market takes a **** while you are making investment decisions ?

My 2 cents

Stefan
Old 01-21-2022, 03:03 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Just got the oil changed and a/c recharged. No leaks or any issues. Just went away from lack of use. I have an appointment to cryo the underside next month. I did this on my 86 930 and I can tell you it transforms the car. I figure to get top dollar it's a worthwhile investment although the price is steep. Last, is how far down the rabbit hole do you go to address any imperfections on the car. My car has a few stone chips (nothing crazy) and minor wear on the drivers seat. I am about as **** of a person as you can get so all I see are the flaws but where I take this car people are astounded by the condition. I figure will be ready to go first week of March. With the way BaT works will likely go up for auction in May. Wish the timeline was quicker because I'm going to away in June so hopefully this comes together.
heliolps2 (01-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Selling the 964 Turbo