964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Should I be running away from GT3s ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is it, we had an original, sold it to a customer, then we just started to modifiy them instead, also works on 964 with lfw for stalling....you will need to modify the bellhousing of the trans for it to fit....vinnie
Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Vinnie. I had read a bit on the topic on pelican parts definitly something to check out.
However I am not sure net net what it does to engine longevity on a track car. Having it a bit late is probably safest even if it means combustion is not as good ? I m really clueless.

Keep in mind it's track only.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince964T
Having it a bit late is probably safest even if it means combustion is not as good ?
This has me perplexed also.
Vinny, help me understand how this mod works.
Generally, retarding ignition closer and closer to tdc increases power. That's why twin plugging is preferred: the flame front has a shorter distance to travel with twin plugs, allowing ignition even closer to tdc.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 AM
turboholic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vincent C. which Turbo do you use to achieve 460hp @ only 0.9bar? Very impressive
Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 AM
turboholic
Racer

Originally Posted by Vince964T
Thanks Vinnie. I had read a bit on the topic on pelican parts definitly something to check out.
However I am not sure net net what it does to engine longevity on a track car. Having it a bit late is probably safest even if it means combustion is not as good ? I m really clueless.

Keep in mind it's track only.
do you have a link to the Pelican thread?
I searched but couldnt find it, would like to learn more
Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No specific post.
When I got the dyno result on my car I made a few searches, espcially on Power loss. Timing issues popped up a few times.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

one thing that we don't do on stock configuration 964 turbo car's is set of the ignition, its done through the famous control unit in the engine compartment, when the car comes on boost, the control unit backs the timing out if the car for safe running, have found that more boost, it wants to take more timing out of the motor, porsche seems to be very conservative in making power though the ignition control unit. you can easily add a little timing with the modification. it won't let the control unit take so much timing out on boost. if you own a car with a euro fuel system and only .9 bar of boost, this works great....i run a special built garrett turbo....vinnie
Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent C.
you have to add 12mm of length to the sensor bracket and then clearance the bell housing on the transmission. the dyno sheet is a 4th gear run, if i remember correctly....
I know of someone who has done this before on a 3.3l. Although he had issues with his AFR's even after installing an Adjustable WUR. How do you resolve the lean condition?

Here are the charts from his car and the numbers appear to be quite similar.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to say that with these mods that the cars should be close in the HP department but the TQ should be more than the GT3 and the range should be lower on the powerband than the GT3. TQ is what should pull on the car and HP will sustain it. I have driven many GT3s and they are gutless on the TQ until the upper RPM ranges which the turbo should have already pulled on.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:19 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
I have to say that with these mods that the cars should be close in the HP department but the TQ should be more than the GT3 and the range should be lower on the powerband than the GT3. TQ is what should pull on the car and HP will sustain it. I have driven many GT3s and they are gutless on the TQ until the upper RPM ranges which the turbo should have already pulled on.
Stephen,

You have been missed and your input always insightful. Hope things are improving for you.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for the kind words Anthony. Everything is just like at a standstill. Really weird!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:33 PM
turboholic
Racer

with above AFRs I hope your friend doesnt track his car...
Old 07-08-2009, 12:42 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turboholic
with above AFRs I hope your friend doesnt track his car...
Believe it or not it is a dedicated race car used in the most grueling conditions. (high heat & high humidity) I am surprised he hasn't blown that engine up several times over. Although I haven't spoken to him recently.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

does that car have a euro fuel system and how much boost does he run??? at this point, very fine tuning plays a big factor...well tuned car, dialed in fuel system, good pumps, good power to pumps, hopfully not much blow by, not running dirty air back into the motor, fine tuned timing, the list can go on of course...
Old 07-08-2009, 01:46 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vincent C.
does that car have a euro fuel system and how much boost does he run??? at this point, very fine tuning plays a big factor...well tuned car, dialed in fuel system, good pumps, good power to pumps, hopfully not much blow by, not running dirty air back into the motor, fine tuned timing, the list can go on of course...
Never got that involved. Maybe these pictures could tell you more but they aren't pretty. I do know he was working with Brian Leask on earlier versions of his WUR and IIRC he used Stephens fuel head mod. He was always changing something on the car.

I have been told by so many that CIS cannot support these numbers but I know he did don't know what life he got out of it.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Should I be running away from GT3s ?