964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Every car has its price - i may sell !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:12 PM
asimler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
A Porsche dealer is willing to pay over $100k for my car and im tempted !

For:
I can only have one Porsche car for the forseeable future.I love doing
track days but since i had this car i have almost stopped because i dont want
to damage or modify it. It is also too good to use as a daily driver and
UK roads/speeding cameras etc make it hard to use the performance sensibly.

Against:

It is a fabulous , irreplacable car in great condition and a good investment.

So my friends let me know your thoughts !!
IMO i've always thought "if in doubt, do nothing until you know for sure" - be it with cars, houses or the stock market. Maybe sleep on it further (you never know the price bid might go up too). Guess it all comes down to how much you really love the car. I know I could never sell unless I desperately needed the money, and mines been in storage now for 6 months.

good luck!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree on that...I couldn't sell mine either, even though the price would have been going up since I bought, then it would never come down to how much I could get for it.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:16 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Turbo Jonny......

If the dealer is offering you a 100K USD equivalent cash payment.......ask yourself if you would you buy it back down the road for the same amount of money ?

If yes......don't sell it........because the odds are that you'll probably never see it again and have that chance.

If no.......sell it.........because maybe you'll never get that much money offered for it again.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

That car is almost as irreplaceable as the Bad Boys I car.

Do not sell it unless you have a reason. Financial, another car you are dying to own, etc.

I am assuming you don't 'need' the cash, there isn't a car for sale that really rings your bell, and your health is ok.

I highly doubt that value will ever drop so if no pressure to sell, then don't.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:50 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

You can buy a 964 c2 over here for $20k and import it for the track; don't sell
Old 07-18-2008, 07:29 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Jonny,
If you are scared to drive it, I don't see the point. Lovely car aside.
Buy the sorted black 3.3 ;-) for £25K and drive it like you know you'd want to (and I did, see my avatar!), keep 7K for rebuild etc. (if it ever needs it...) and bank the rest.
Nice decision to have.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:01 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks guys. No doubt i love the car. I dont need the cash, but i have no sight of the space, time etc
to look after another P car. Compared to John in NZ i guess i have more time to use mine than some ,
but always with the temptation to lose my licence or worse on the road.The red mist comes down at
full boost & 6k rpm.Its is begging to go on its so hard to back off.There is some case for doing more
track days , but its expensive to make the effort to get there and then find the track is wet anyway,
and too risky with my modest talents in the wet.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:33 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Sell it and have some fun modifying a 3.3. Modding supplies a different type of enjoyment and you can do it by proxy.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:19 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by parsecnc4
I would say a '94 3.6S with 16,000 miles for $100K (in US currency I assume) is in the ballpark but can be just a bit on the low end. Sloan has a couple 3.6S listed for more, but they are asking prices.

http://www.sloancars.com/vs1/invento...=&Sortkey=Make

I would keep it unless you have something else in mind or wants the cash. I cannot imagine the prices for 3.6S or any 965 to go south, especially with the emerging markets overseas.
IIRC his car has the S engine but is technically not an S. The package cars you posted were for US consumption only. BTW both those cars have been sold a long time ago. I know were the blk/blk one resides now and IMO these package cars will be worth far more $$ in the future.

I doubt you will ever find another 94 with S motor in the UK at any price. I would tell him he could have it for $125 and see if he grabs. If he does it leaves you with a lot of options.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:08 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

I understand your issues related to track use of a very special car. Frankly, I wouldn't sell it and I would actually take it to the track some time. Driving a 964 turbo even at 7/10s speed on the track is a lot of fun and it is still safer than public roads at any speed. My car has about the same mileage as yours and only get to drive it about 2-3 weeks out of the year - it's still a keeper. There are many guys buying 997 GT3s, then get a full 3M body wrap and park it in their garage because they are afraid to crash it. Others take them to the track - who has more fun?

Anthony (Cobalt) talked me into buying a 964 track car to complement the stable (My wife insists I send him the bill for it). I'll let you know how that adventure works out and how they compare.

Originally Posted by dholling13
You can buy a 964 c2 over here for $20k and import it for the track; don't sell
It's actualy not that easy. When you import a car from outside Europe, you pay duty, VAT and registration tax (in some country) + plus shippping. it gets quite expensive to go that way.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Anthony (Cobalt) talked me into buying a 964 track car to complement the stable (My wife insists I send him the bill for it). I'll let you know how that adventure works out and how they compare.
I just spit up my coffee all over the monitor.

Well the 964 is a fun track car it will never be a turbo or GT3 power wise. You will be pushing as hard as possible to keep up with the higher powered cars but it will get you driving a 911 at 9.5-10/10 vs a turbo which you may never bring past 8/10 unless you don't care about crashing it. In the turns a properly set up 964 can do wonders but nothing is going to compare to a car that has 100+ HP advantage in the straights. I like the fact that when I can keep up with the higher powered modern cars I know it is me and not the extra power or modern suspension.

Eventually some may find the 964 is lacking in power. There are times I wish my car had more. I figure after a few years I will need to rebuild the engine and then it will be time for a 3.8 or supercharger conversion but for now it is a lot of fun. There is no substitute for power but anyone can drive a fast car quickly on a straight and dog it through the turns and think they are fast.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Update - I have put my price up and will be happy if the dealer goes away.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Kurgen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
Update - I have put my price up and will be happy if the dealer goes away.
White 3.6 Turbo in the Fatherland..
90K km... 65k Euros (£52k)

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/sh...n&pageNumber=1
Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Gandara
Pro

I dont think the ad works anymore.

Originally Posted by Kurgen
White 3.6 Turbo in the Fatherland..
90K km... 65k Euros (£52k)

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/sh...n&pageNumber=1
Old 07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 373 Posts

Surely it hasn't sold at that price. My '93 RHD car in NZ with 100k km would bring only EUR 43k on a good day.

Quick Reply: Every car has its price - i may sell !!