964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Isle of skye trip pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 02:44 PM
stu.p
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isle of skye trip pictures

A few weeks back myself and the local Porsche enthusiasts club when on a trip to Isle of Skye.There was a selection of Porsches there,10 cars in total 3 other 911's several 944's and 968's etc..
After a approx 1 hours driving from central Scotland where most of us are based things change,the views are spectactular and the roads are Fast,,open,,clear and with not a Cop car in sight which leads to some very spirited driving if your up for it!!
We headed to Fort William for a quick stop and re-fuel if required(me at least in my thirsty beast),passing through the mountains of Glencoe on the way..after Fort William we stayed the night at a hotel in Klye of Lochalsh which is north east of Scotland and leads to the Bridge to the Isle of Skye..
Eilean Donan Castle was only a few miles from our hotel and i wished i got more pictures of the castle which is totally stunning .
The present castle is relatively new, having been built in the early part of the 20th century. However, it was built on the site of the ruins of the castle built in the 13th century, so it still has the history of the clans that once lived here, especially as a refuge for Robert the Bruce...more recently the castle has been the setting for some recent movies including "the world is not enough",,"highlander" and "loch ness"
We then went over the bridge to skye to visit the other attractions like Dunvegan Castle etc and completed the full loop round Skye yet again taking in some amazimg views and roads on the way!
Anyway below is a few photos of the trip,the weather was amazing also for a change but please note taking photos isnt my strongest point and you cant appreciate how really spectactular it is up that edge of the country and come on guys i challenge you other UK rennlisters on here to tell me any other roads that are better for our Porsches here in the UK and recommend you visit some day!! ....... thats why probably car mags such as "EVO" and "Car" etc do so much testing up there!
Maybe thats for another thread "Name your favourite Roads" in your area/country??

Through mountains of Glencoe

Eilean Donan Castle

Eilean Donan Castle as it should look!

Going over Skye Bridge,,Please dont ask how i took the photos whilst driving.

Isle of Skye

Dunvegan castle in Skye

Portree in skye with mates 911 sc

My 965 with windmills in backround in Skye

My 965 at harbour in Portree

Driving round Isle of Skye

Glencoe on way home

Phew!! more photos than i thought
Old 05-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks STU.... unbelievable pics, ill look you up if my wife and i ever go there which we hope to do someday. Your car looks great as well.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Brings back great memories from when i lived in Scotland. I hope to be taking
the road to Skye this summer.I dont know anywhere in the UK that compares or
has less traffic and speed cameras.Northumberland comes close in places.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
stu.p
Racer

Cheers Jerry,yeah it would be great to see you over here and if you made the effort the least i could do is give you's a bit of the grand tour!!
If your heading up in the car during the summer defo let me know turbojonny and we could meet up if you would like,you would have to pass my direction on way up anyway!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:09 PM
carreraclubsport
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
Brings back great memories from when i lived in Scotland.
+1 Lived in Glasgow a year back in 1989/90 and I miss Scotland a lot. Haven't been there in many years, but my plan is to bring my girlfriend and daugther in the 928 GTS one summer.

Beautiful pics!

Christian
Old 05-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Gorgeous scenery and great cars!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting. Great pictures and location.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:52 PM
TJN
Instructor

Stu.P Beautiful scenery! It ain't the Grand Canyon but really beautiful! TJN/VETTEKILLER

Quick Reply: Isle of skye trip pictures