964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Considered Buying This Car For A Second...Your Thoughts?.. Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Considered Buying This Car For A Second...Your Thoughts?.. Pics

Guys - I have been tracking this car on and off for the past 1+ year. I finally called Park Place in Bellvue, WA and spoke to them, very friendly and courteous. The car only has one previous owner who sadly died of Leukemia and Park Place is handling the sale of this person's car collection. He ordered the car with the Purple on Purple special colors, which really to me does not bother me too badly, but it is certainly an acquired taste.

The car was built by Bob Halcomb and there is over $100,000 in receipts that come with the car, so the car has been well built, it has 2K miles on the new high dollar build.

The car is as quick as a Carrera GT according to Park Place, and is one of the fastest cars they have had in their possession, nothing from Lamborghini can even touch it. They mentioned that this car is not a "take your lady to dinner" car, strictly drive it to the track blow everything away and drive it back home - NOT really "a street car". Car has a welded in 1/2 cage, and comes with the factory purple leather seats, another set of wheels and a bunch of spare parts.

740WHP is a sexxy amount of horsepower..evil grin! For the street on pump gas it would have to be dialed back and the springs on the coilovers changes to a softer rate for the street.

They are asking $49,900K which is a good deal considering the amount of $$$ spent on it, this is their lowest price they can go. They had it for sale a year ago for $70K. I am with the affluence on the West coast, that someone has not scooped it up?

So what do your fellas think?

To some degree I regret buying my bone stock but very clean '89 as the price of upgrades has been a slippery slope but definitely a good learning tool for working on the car. If I was in the market today, I would have bought a car where someone has spent the big $$ on the upgrades and the car tastefully and carefully modified - sounds like a vulture approach but that is the reality of this hobby.

Regards - Yasin
Old 05-11-2008, 02:44 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Yasin - unless you are an expert driver (and my definition is top 10% in the instructor group), then this car is waaaaay too much for you. First of all, cars with this much power require lots of maintenance (clutch, trans, diff, CVs, drive shafts...they just need very frequent replacing with this much power). Even if you can handle the power, it will be extremely boring to drive at DEs, as you will constantly be catching people and never have any fun (same problem with slicks at DEs).
Old 05-11-2008, 04:07 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've looked this car over a few times as I'm only a few miles from Parkplace. I would describe it as a bit rough cosmetically. What I mean is it shows a lot of use in the paint and interior. Perhaps that's why it hasn't moved yet.

I think Colin makes a good point. At those power levels DE days would be more point and shoot then anything else. But I wouldn't call it boring!
Old 05-11-2008, 10:19 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy JBH's car...
Old 05-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

i had thoughts of buying this car, swapping motors with mine, putting it back to stock-ish and selling.

as stated, too much power for me...400-500 range is a plenty.

RT
Old 05-11-2008, 11:10 PM
turbo 3.6
Racer

Mary mother of Jesus! That thing must be savage!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:52 AM
al 965
Instructor

If they would trade me for my stock 92 one I would jump on it
Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thoughts about this car:
- It is more track that street. The hot cams make create that engine hesitation / oscilating affect when you are part throttle or in low rpms.
- It's got Motec - so figure in lots of programming tuning for any changes.
- The engine really shouldn't be run on pump gas
- The engine mods created a lot of electrical mods to the entire car. So swapping back a stock motor isn't straightforward. It also makes finding those electrical gremlins very hard to find.
- The ride is rather soft for a track car. I wish it had better suspension and bigger brakes.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Gandara
Pro

I like the stock seats and the stock steering wheel better than the ones it has right now. Who is JBH and where are there pics of his car?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 PM
TJN
Instructor

Slownrusty, I have '91 normally aspirated aftermarket TT with 742 AWDHP (on the ground). It runs on 93 octane pump gas and is as docile as a city bus, with my foot out of it. No tune, ignition or any other problems except the clutch. I have researched the upgrade and will be shortly in the market for a GT2 pressure plate and a bronze disc with a light flywheel. All parts are available from Patric Motor Sports in Arizona. Also, sounds like a hell of a price! TJN/Vettekiller
Old 05-12-2008, 10:43 PM
TJN
Instructor

Slownrusty, I have '91 normally aspirated aftermarket TT with 742 AWDHP (on the ground). It runs on 93 octane pump gas and is as docile as a city bus, with my foot out of it. No tune, ignition or any other problems except the clutch. I have researched the upgrade and will be shortly in the market for a GT2 pressure plate and a bronze disc with a light flywheel. All parts are available from Patrick Motor Sports in Arizona. Also, sounds like a hell of a price! TJN/Vettekiller
Old 05-12-2008, 11:42 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm...why hasn't it moved?
1. The color
2. Modifications - you would have to go through those receipts carefully to know what was done and what was not (most buyers do not have that expertise)
3. High HP = big maintenance $$$
4. The fit and finish look poor:
- they did a very poor cut into sheet metal to fit the intercooler
- the intercooler has more than 2K miles
- engine soundproofing (or whatever that is) is peeling and falling.
- what! no radio?
- did I mention the color? Purple louvers, purple trim rings, purple door handles...

I am JBH (thanks Drew) and I believe my car is sold (lucky guy)
Old 05-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

I bought my car last year from Park Place and they were very nice...I got a PPI from the nearby Barrier Porsche and for the most part my car checked out and the rest as they say is history...this car has been with them for well over a year and that would raise serious red flags for me...clearly the color is as somebody in this thread put it.."an acquired taste"...IMHO...that's too much HP for street use...if the track is your thing then that might be a different story...when I was looking this car was there and it did nothing for me...I thought it was just too extra on any aspect that I looked at....keep us posted. :-)
Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 AM
al 965
Instructor

You cain't have to much horsepower! You don't have to mash the gas as far if you don't need it. As far as reliability Eddie Bellow has 1200 hp. on a street car and I had spent a lot of time with him Goliad and he says that is not an issue if it is set up right. I guess he should know,as he drove it from New York to Texas last year and back with no issues
Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 AM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Looks like it might have been hit from behind.

Quick Reply: Considered Buying This Car For A Second...Your Thoughts?.. Pics